Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
its going to be hard to move Dumba if he is done for the season.

Your asking a team to take 6mil player that has had a few big injuries in the past few years. On top of probably needing to be protected during the ED.

I find it hard to blame guerin for not moving dumba for a situation you can't plan for.
He signed the wrong defenseman for too much money. It was always going to be hard to move Dumba as the ED loomed. The number of teams that would have been able to take him would be small. He pinned himself into a corner, and I can’t imagine offers were great. Now, he’s possible going to lose him for nothing.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He signed the wrong defenseman for too much money. It was always going to be hard to move Dumba as the ED loomed. The number of teams that would have been able to take him would be small. He pinned himself into a corner, and I can’t imagine offers were great. Now, he’s possible going to lose him for nothing.
Do you mean Brodin or Spurgeon?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I agree with this sentiment, however just a few days ago people were fine going protecting 8 skaters.

I just don't think this conversation comes up if Dumba doesn't get hurt. Which makes it a complete hindsight situation that Guerin wasn't privy to.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I’m not counting on Dumba getting moved any time soon. But I’m fine with protecting 8 skaters also.

fiala, Parise, Zucc, JEE? Plus top 4 d? I can stand with losing a greenway or other player.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
In life, you lose people and things. We survive.

Wild are going to lose one of Dumba, Soucy, or Greenway in the entry draft. Accept it.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I wonder what BG thinks about Addison hopping in and filling Dumba’s shoes if he gets scooped. More cap space too, so maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Go after a big C with that $ savings.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I wonder what BG thinks about Addison hopping in and filling Dumba’s shoes if he gets scooped. More cap space too, so maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Go after a big C with that $ savings.
My bet is Menell will get the shot before Addison. I thought Addison looked to be a bit away in the scrims from being a top 4 Dmen.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Addison looked NHL top 4 ready with the puck, but really needs to work on his game without the puck. Menell might be similar, though a bit more advanced. Might need some more time in the AHL to mature. Belpedio is probably ready for a bottom pairing role at least.

We know that Soucy can be paired with Brodin and not look out of place, though you could say that of a lot of Dmen. Brodin is the ultimate security blanket...except for Spurgeon, oddly enough.

The cavalry will be coming in 2022-23 with ROR, and maybe Hunt and a Johansson.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I thought Addison looked NHL top 4 ready with the puck, but really needs to work on his game without the puck. Menell might be similar, though a bit more advanced. Might need some more time in the AHL to mature. Belpedio is probably ready for a bottom pairing role at least.

We know that Soucy can be paired with Brodin and not look out of place, though you could say that of a lot of Dmen. Brodin is the ultimate security blanket...except for Spurgeon, oddly enough.

I'll say that Addison gets the next chance sooner than later if he shows anything in Iowas 1st set of games

Mennel bolted for KHL to get the money, don't blame him, and basically isn't in to good of graces with Wild brass.

Belpedio will be a G6 UFA at seasons end and only signed a 1 year deal and most likely gone at seasons end. He didn't file for arbitration or Wild could have picked the 2 year term / bridge so I'm sure he's in BG's dog house also hence he's in Iowa.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Looks like no Wild player has waived his NMC, today was the deadline when it comes to the expansion draft.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Menell went to the KHL so he could play rather than sit at home.
100% incorrect. Some Euro and KHL teams were offering NHL out clauses and he chose to play there the whole season.

BG told Mennel take your QO or take X in AHL / X in NHL ..... Pick which one you want period. Mennel had no rights and chose to leave for the KHL. That is exactly what happened.

Woudn't be shocked to see him play over seas next season and then come back as a G6 UFA ( I'm almost sure he would qualify for that )

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Looks like no Wild player has waived his NMC, today was the deadline when it comes to the expansion draft.

Source?

Vegas expansion the deadline was two weeks before the draft (June 12th). Why would it be Feb 1st this time around with literally zero coverage of it?

Sounds made up to me.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Honestly, I agree with your take on Addison, but I disagree with the Menell one, simply because I wonder what another AHL year could do for him. He's already torn that league up, and is now doing the same to the KHL. If he's not ready now, he won't ever be.

I have to agree with most here, Greenway has played himself into being protected, so far. Losing Dumba would suck, but I don't see a way that they get to just keep everyone that they want. For all the talk about how we're in a better position for this expansion draft vs. the last one, it appears that we stand to lose just as much this time around.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Source?

Vegas expansion the deadline was two weeks before the draft (June 12th). Why would it be Feb 1st this time around with literally zero coverage of it?

Sounds made up to me.

He's wrong, the deadline is in summer. Clubs can ask players to waive their clause starting today.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Honestly, I agree with your take on Addison, but I disagree with the Menell one, simply because I wonder what another AHL year could do for him. He's already torn that league up, and is now doing the same to the KHL. If he's not ready now, he won't ever be.

I have to agree with most here, Greenway has played himself into being protected, so far. Losing Dumba would suck, but I don't see a way that they get to just keep everyone that they want. For all the talk about how we're in a better position for this expansion draft vs. the last one, it appears that we stand to lose just as much this time around.

Greenway has played well 10 games. You cant give up Dumba over him at such a small sample size. Its an easier decision than you all are making it at this point.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
What if we can go after other forward/center talent with his cap hit?

You can do that by trading him and not losing him for nothing. Or you could trade Greenway? Either way you can get around this without losing one of them for nothing.

Frankly i dont see any pending free agents that we cant afford that fit our timeline that are worth shedding dumba to sign.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
You can do that by trading him and not losing him for nothing. Or you could trade Greenway? Either way you can get around this without losing one of them for nothing.
But why would a team trade for either of them, if they know they're going to have to use an additional protection slot? I mean, it's not that hard to see trading away either will also be as challenging.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
But why would a team trade for either of them, if they know they're going to have to use an additional protection slot? I mean, it's not that hard to see trading away either will also be as challenging.

Not every team has a list of surefire players they need to protect. And even if we had to trade say greenway for less than hes worth, say for a older player and a pick, its still better than losing him for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad