Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you could get Cirelli to sign for somewhere close to $5M per, the Wild could probably pull it off. It wouldn't be Rask that they would have to give away though, it would be someone like Foligno, Johansson, or Bonino.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Yeah, I think it's worth it if you could get him at or close to that $5M mark. Being able to dump Rask in this market is a pipe dream though.

I agree itd be harder to get rid of him, i did mention a combo of foligno and maybe a defensemen being traded for cap space. Id definately try rask before those options though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Throw in soucy instead of pateryn, hes probably getting picked at the expansion anyways, and it would sweeten the deal

Trading Soucy means we need to re-sign and play Pateryn or Hunt to meet expansion draft requirements. And when neither of those players get taken, it means we're stuck with Pateryn and/or Hunt.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Offersheet 5x2 or 5x3 so you can renegotiate Kap, Fiala, Ek first then Cirelli.

Bury Rask
Trade Hartman(RFA) more attractive. For a mid pick
Pateryn for future considerations.

Parise Cirelli Fiala
Greenway Rossi Kap
Johansson Ek Zuccerello
Foligno Bonino Bjugstad
Sturm

Suter Spurg
Brodin Dumba
Soucy Belpeido
Hunt

1.3 cap space available for call ups and downs.

Reactions: GuerinUp

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Throw in soucy instead of pateryn, hes probably getting picked at the expansion anyways, and it would sweeten the deal
As it stands currently, Greenway would be the guy taken in the expansion draft. Signing Cirelli would throw Eriksson Ek into the mix.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If ek is forced to be a 3c, because hes not as good as our other 2 centers. i have zero problem with him being exposed.

What if he's very clearly a 2C at this point, but we have to expose him because he's not quite as good as Cirelli?

What if Cirelli's worth was overinflated playing 19 minutes per night next star players, and it turns out he's really only a 2/3 tweener on this team?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
What if he's very clearly a 2C at this point, but we have to expose him because he's not quite as good as Cirelli?

What if Cirelli's worth was overinflated playing 19 minutes per night next star players, and it turns out he's really only a 2/3 tweener on this team?

Well then you expose Cirelli instead. Seems like a win win to me

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Trading Soucy means we need to re-sign and play Pateryn or Hunt to meet expansion draft requirements. And when neither of those players get taken, it means we're stuck with Pateryn and/or Hunt.
Pateryn and Hunt are UFA's at end of season

Sorry, didn't see re-sign

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
At this point, there is now way to get Cirelli without commiting massive asset allocation errors. On top of the picks to Tampa you have to give, you'd certainly need to valuable assets to get someone even to take Hartman or Foligno in this market, let alone Rask or Pateryn.

The number of teams on internal budgets, or flat out over the cap makes it a non starter from the jump. There are like 5 teams willing to take on cap still in the NHL, and they're all saving it to get one of the remaining actually good free agents for a bargain.

Only 10 teams have enough cap to fit Foligno as it stands today, but many have a significant RFA left to sign (Strome in Chicago, Islanders troubles are well documented, PLD in Columbus). Leaving the teams that are more or less tanking/expected to be bad. Teams that you have to pay to take them.

Really the only exception that has cap room, and not expected to be terrible is Nashville. Who has Kunin to sign, but also still hoping for Hoffman/Granlund reportedly.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Great, so we just gave Tampa a 1st+ for nothing. Well done.

Disagree, You give a 1st+ for a player that has shown more than Ek in his career, and appears to have a higher ceiling. But, like with any acquisition theres a risk involved. But thats sports.

Example:
Fiala for granlund trade. Initially most hated the trade in minnesota, now look how that panned out.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I mean are the Wild going to be worse than San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Arizona? Colorado, St. Louis and Las Vegas are probably going to be the top tier, but then...

And that's a fair POV from our stance. But I bet those bottom teams you listed would say the same thing about us...

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
And that's a fair POV from our stance. But I bet those bottom teams you listed would say the same thing about us...

Has the "general public" at large (or the media for that matter) ever had a clear idea of what Minnesota is going to be? Every pre-season poll for like 4 years puts us in the bottom 10, sometimes well into it.

People just don't realize the D is good enough to be middle of the pack almost regardless of what the forwards and goaltending due. And if they get above average in either categories "they come from nowhere"

Reactions: TaLoN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
you cant honestly tell me anyone in this board thinks ek is better than cirelli.. the kid hasnt broke 30 points in his career.
I was talking about your terrible plan of signing Cirelli to an offer sheet and what that would entail.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
you cant honestly tell me anyone in this board thinks ek is better than cirelli.. the kid hasnt broke 30 points in his career.

No one thinks that. But you're pretty hand wavy with the details to get it done, and the ramifications that it entails.

Losing a better player in expansion, adding probably good assets to clear capspace to trade Hartman/Foligno/Patryn, Leopold being willing to pay Rask 4.5 million to go away without fans in the seats while still costing 3.5 million against the cap, assets cost to sign Cirelli to an RFA offer (2nd or 1st +3rd).

That's a heck of a lot of moving parts( a few of them extremely not likely to happen) and risk for a player that paced for 53 points on a stacked team and who's upside is probably Good or even great 2C, but likely not 1C.

Is Cirelli worth both our firsts next year, and 2nd on top of losing Ek in expansion? Because that's likely what it takes to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad