Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't understand the desire to have him take up on this roster.

If Dumba was traded, sure. Makes sense as a stop gap but the fit just makes no sense to me on this team.

Not sure it's that complicated.

Big Buff > Patryn > Injured Patryn > Hunt

Reactions: 2Pair

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
IF buff can you know actually still skate. If he could regain some sort of his former game I'd agree

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I could see Byfuglien joining the team midseason if it looks like the Wild will be a playoff team. Don't really see him wanting to go through any sort of training camp.

And it's an absolute no-brainer to sign him if he wants to play. How is that even debatable?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I could see Byfuglien joining the team midseason if it looks like the Wild will be a playoff team. Don't really see him wanting to go through any sort of training camp.

And it's an absolute no-brainer to sign him if he wants to play. How is that even debatable?

By the time the season rolls around it'll have been over a year and a half since he last played, and if he's out of shape and only kinda sorta committed, it's very debatable. That he's on the fence about it gives me some pause.

If we were to get 17-18 or even 18-19 Buff, then yeah, it's a no-brainer. I'm just personally not sure that's what we'd be getting.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, we couldn't pay him much due to cap space. He can be a force, but not exactly a need. Would be one hell of a Defence, though.

Suter Spurgeon
Brodin Dumba
Buff Soucy

Migod that third pairing.:puppy:

He would only sign a one year contract otherwise he would be eligible for Seattle.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
By the time the season rolls around it'll have been over a year and a half since he last played, and if he's out of shape and only kinda sorta committed, it's very debatable. That he's on the fence about it gives me some pause.

If we were to get 17-18 or even 18-19 Buff, then yeah, it's a no-brainer. I'm just personally not sure that's what we'd be getting.
Again, we're talking about playing him in place of Hunt or Pateryn. There are plenty of reasons to doubt that you would be getting prime Byfuglien. There are zero reasons to think that he wouldn't be a major improvement on Brad Hunt.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Well TBF, RNH has been excelling playing on the Wing now verses playing center. I think he is capable playing Center, but I don't see the oilers wanting to lose him.

i didnt realize they moved him to wing recently? He was a pretty good center when he was playing with hall on his wing. Also, if available id think hed be a better option than trading away stuff for barkov like some people keep dreaming of

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
RNH was never the s#$% as a #1 overall, but he is a pretty good hockey player nonetheless.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He can play C, but I agree that he is not a #1C. I would guess that EDM will give him a long term contract at about 7M per. He is a decent but not great defensive player. Has only had one year where he won more than 50% of his FO's. A lot of his point totals have come when he is on the PP, with you know who. Not a physical player.

I wouldn't want to outbid EDM for his services.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014

I'm sold on him coming here after reviewing a few responses at this point if it were possible.

I think the concern initially was why bring him on to inflate a win total when he's definitely not here 2 years from now.

We saw this year what draft position hopefully did for the future of our team, would the outlook be as bright if we picked in the middle to late middle portion of this last draft?

I think stuff like this matters.

Are we signing Buff for another almost make the playoffs, or first round exit season where league owners are already going to lose a crap ton of money?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm sold on him coming here after reviewing a few responses at this point if it were possible.

I think the concern initially was why bring him on to inflate a win total when he's definitely not here 2 years from now.

We saw this year what draft position hopefully did for the future of our team, would the outlook be as bright if we picked in the middle to late middle portion of this last draft?

I think stuff like this matters.

Are we signing Buff for another almost make the playoffs, or first round exit season where league owners are already going to lose a crap ton of money?

Buff playing third pairing isn't going to be the difference in a lottery pick and almost making the playoffs, making the playoffs anyways.

Talbot will be. If BG wanted another lottery pick, he would have just held onto Dubnyk, as opposed to paying him 2 million to play somewhere else.

If Talbot gives the Wild average goaltending, they are going to be a playoff team. They were only a point out when the season was cancelled, and they didn't really get worse anywhere while getting better in their biggest weakness.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Buff playing third pairing isn't going to be the difference in a lottery pick and almost making the playoffs, making the playoffs anyways.

Talbot will be. If BG wanted another lottery pick, he would have just held onto Dubnyk, as opposed to paying him 2 million to play somewhere else.

If Talbot gives the Wild average goaltending, they are going to be a playoff team. They were only a point out when the season was cancelled, and they didn't really get worse anywhere while getting better in their biggest weakness.

Good points. Would be super interesting if it happened.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

buff on the powerplay however could be a difference.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
buff on the powerplay however could be a difference.

I don't really see how. We had the 11th best PP%, and scored the 7th most PPG last year with 4 Defenders in the top 50 for PP points among D. In Buffs last two full years(2017-2018/2018-2019) Dumba and Spurgeon both had more goals, Suter had just as many points.

Buff had an unreal amount of second assists based on being on that insane Laine, Wheeler and Scheifele PP, but most indications are that it was Laine and Scheifele receiving passes from Wheeler that made that unit tick. Buff just happened to be manning the point on the pass arounds, and only 12 of his 38 PP points were Primary points while Wheeler had 58, Laine 44 and Scheifele 28.

Suter had 17 Primary points, Spurgeon 13, Dumba 18.

He probably doesn't give us an appreciably better PP, because we've already got three defenders that are quite good at (and that's not even counting Hunt who would hopefully not see the ice with Buff on the team).

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I don't really see how. We had the 11th best PP%, and scored the 7th most PPG last year with 4 Defenders in the top 50 for PP points among D. In Buffs last two full years(2017-2018/2018-2019) Dumba and Spurgeon both had more goals, Suter had just as many points.

Buff had an unreal amount of second assists based on being on that insane Laine, Wheeler and Scheifele PP, but most indications are that it was Laine and Scheifele receiving passes from Wheeler that made that unit tick. Buff just happened to be manning the point on the pass arounds, and only 12 of his 38 PP points were Primary points while Wheeler had 58, Laine 44 and Scheifele 28.

Suter had 17 Primary points, Spurgeon 13, Dumba 18.

He probably doesn't give us an appreciably better PP, because we've already got three defenders that are quite good at (and that's not even counting Hunt who would hopefully not see the ice with Buff on the team).

anyone is better than suter on the PP, this is based on watching, not stats. too many times we will have crazy possession and hell shoot a wrister from the point that turns to a turnover

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
anyone is better than suter on the PP, this is based on watching, not stats. too many times we will have crazy possession and hell shoot a wrister from the point that turns to a turnover
You're certainly welcome to that opinion, even if it's not supported by any facts.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
You're certainly welcome to that opinion, even if it's not supported by any facts.

well i just checked facts, and im not sure how winning games works, but when you only have 19 less total points (24 more goals) in 600 less powerplay minutes youre probably a bigger threat on the powerplay

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
well i just checked facts, and im not sure how winning games works, but when you only have 19 less total points (24 more goals) in 600 less powerplay minutes youre probably a bigger threat on the powerplay

Buff spent a large portion of his early career playing net front on PP's in Chicago (16 goals) Atl (1 year 8 goals) and even his first few years in WPG.

Is he going to play net front here? Those numbers also include both of their primes with way different usage, do you suspect Buff is still in his prime or even close to it? Which player likely has dropped off more from their prime?

Over their last 5 seasons Suter has 13 goals and 88 points, and Buff has 9 and 68 points.

Suter has played more games/minutes do to the retirement, but it translates into the rates.

Suter
.65 G/60
1.5 A1/60
2.15 P1/60
2.25 A2/60
4.39 P/60

Buff
.62 G/60
1.46 A1/60
2.08 P1/60
2.64 A2/60
4.72 P/60

They are have more or less identical output recently.

Buff would certainly get some PP time here, but he's hardly going to unseat Suter just by existing, presumably it's the goals you're looking for increasing from him, but he hasn't been any better at it since he moved to the point on the PP.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not only that, but Fiala looked great at the end of the year on the PP point. Buff is not a need... more of a luxury. I think his physicality would be a bonus. Maybe he could teach Soucy and Greenway a thing or two in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad