Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, but maybe instead of giving 5 first round picks for Barkov. What if we give 5 first round picks to Judd Brackett and see if he can draft at least 2-3 studs with those picks. I think the potential of having 5 first rounders is a good basis for a future core even if they don't all hit.

I agree. But not many players are like Rossi and ready to hit the NHL ice the day he was drafted.

I think Fiala and Kaprizov change things. I don't want to have those two guys who aren't 19 years old to wait 5 years to start making cup runs.

We also have a defensive core that is one of the best in the NHL right now. I don't know how they will look 3-5 years from now.

I think it's safe to assume anyone drafted in the first round of the next draft will not see NHL ice for 2 years at the low end to 5 years at the high end.

Let alone hit the point where they are able to compete for trophies.

The beauty of this potential trade is we have time. But if the roster looks good next season with the young guys doing what we hope they will, it's a compelling trade argument.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, but maybe instead of giving 5 first round picks for Barkov. What if we give 5 first round picks to Judd Brackett and see if he can draft at least 2-3 studs with those picks. I think the potential of having 5 first rounders is a good basis for a future core even if they don't all hit.

thank you. thats the exact point i was trying to make.

Reactions: HotDish

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I agree. But not many players are like Rossi and ready to hit the NHL ice the day he was drafted.

I think Fiala and Kaprizov change things. I don't want to have those two guys who aren't 19 years old to wait 5 years to start making cup runs.

We also have a defensive core that is one of the best in the NHL right now. I don't know how they will look 3-5 years from now.

I think it's safe to assume anyone drafted in the first round of the next draft will not see NHL ice for 2 years at the low end to 5 years at the high end.

Let alone hit the point where they are able to compete for trophies.

The beauty of this potential trade is we have time. But if the roster looks good next season with the young guys doing what we hope they will, it's a compelling trade argument.
I get what you are saying and you aren't wrong, but lets not act like Fiala and Kaprizov are aging out of the contending window when they turn 28 and 29 years old.

Crosby won back to back cups at that age. Ovi won a cup at an older age. Pietrangelo won a cup at that age.

If you don't think a 29 year old Fiala + Kaprizov can't lead a mid 20s core with Boldy, Marat, and Beckman. plus 24 year old ROR, 25 yr old Addison, 28 year old Menell, and other dmen. Throw in those 5 first rounders in the lineup.

If anything I would take that over a Barkov, Fiala, Kaprizov core.

Reactions: shleeban

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It would be closer to 2 or 3 than it would be to 8 to 10. At least as far as being able to offer similar assets to what the Wild could.

You said it yourself, the cost is going to be quality roster player + quality prospect + pick. We aren't in some exclusive club with those.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I get what you are saying and you aren't wrong, but lets not act like Fiala and Kaprizov are aging out of the contending window when they turn 28 and 29 years old.

Crosby won back to back cups at that age. Ovi won a cup at an older age. Pietrangelo won a cup at that age.

If you don't think a 29 year old Fiala + Kaprizov can't lead a mid 20s core with Boldy, Marat, and Beckman. plus 24 year old ROR, 25 yr old Addison, 28 year old Menell, and other dmen. Throw in those 5 first rounders in the lineup.

If anything I would take that over a Barkov, Fiala, Kaprizov core.

Issue is I don't foresee any of these being more than top-4 players at best. Old Spurgeon, Brodin, or any of these guys as your top-pair defensemen doesn't sound like a cup winner to me.

Granted, neither does the current group + Barkov. Mediocrity, here we come again.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You said it yourself, the cost is going to be quality roster player + quality prospect + pick. We aren't in some exclusive club with those.
Make a list of all the teams that don't need to add a $10M center to their roster-
Montreal, Tampa, Toronto, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Washington, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Edmonton, San Jose, Vancouver, Vegas.

Now make a list of teams that can't afford to add a $10M center to their roster-
Carolina, Islanders, Rangers, Flames

Now list the teams that aren't really in a position to be adding a guy like Barkov to their situation-
Detroit, Ottawa, Chicago, Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles.

What's left?
Boston - Don't have anything to get a player like Barkov
Buffalo
Columbus- Not much to offer in a futures deal
Flyers- They would be very close the "can't afford him list"
Winnipeg- Can't afford Barkov unless Laine is moved
Minnesota

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Make a list of all the teams that don't need to add a $10M center to their roster-
Montreal, Tampa, Toronto, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Washington, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Edmonton, San Jose, Vancouver, Vegas.

Now make a list of teams that can't afford to add a $10M center to their roster-
Carolina, Islanders, Rangers, Flames

Now list the teams that aren't really in a position to be adding a guy like Barkov to their situation-
Detroit, Ottawa, Chicago, Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles.

What's left?
Boston - Don't have anything to get a player like Barkov
Buffalo
Columbus- Not much to offer in a futures deal
Flyers- They would be very close the "can't afford him list"
Winnipeg- Can't afford Barkov unless Laine is moved
Minnesota

Now do that same exercise for 2 seasons from now, when Barkov will actually be making the $10 million.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Can someone fill me in on why exactly Florida would be looking to trade Barkov instead of extending him? Does he want out?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Now do that same exercise for 2 seasons from now, when Barkov will actually be making the $10 million.
That is the list. Obviously things can change over the course of 1 season, but it still isn't likely that there will be 10 teams that could seriously pursue a guy like Barkov.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That is the list. Obviously things can change over the course of 1 season, but it still isn't likely that there will be 10 teams that could seriously pursue a guy like Barkov.

I can move Montreal, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas, Rangers and Los Angeles down to your bottom list without doing too much mental gymnastics. Maybe I should've said 6-8? Either way, the point stands.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I can move Montreal, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas, Rangers and Los Angeles down to your bottom list without doing too much mental gymnastics. Maybe I should've said 6-8? Either way, the point stands.
No you can't and no it doesn't

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So then do it...

Montreal can cut Danault loose and build a package around Kotkaniemi
Colorado can turn Kadri and Newhook into Barkov
Dallas currently has a 36 year old Pavelski as their 2nd line center and $13M coming off the books when Barkov would get paid.
Vegas has $12M in Smith and Fleury coming off the books when Barkov gets paid, with Krebs and Glass as options for Florida
Rangers can put Kakko in play
Kings have cap space, assets and Barkov would be a hell of a nice bridge from a 33 year old Kopitar to an 18 year old Byfield

None of these are perfect, but the point is 'possible', same as us.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Montreal can cut Danault loose and build a package around Kotkaniemi
Colorado can turn Kadri and Newhook into Barkov
Dallas currently has a 36 year old Pavelski as their 2nd line center and $13M coming off the books when Barkov would get paid.
Vegas has $12M in Smith and Fleury coming off the books when Barkov gets paid, with Krebs and Glass as options for Florida
Rangers can put Kakko in play
Kings have cap space, assets and Barkov would be a hell of a nice bridge from a 33 year old Kopitar to an 18 year old Byfield

None of these are perfect, but the point is 'possible', same as us.
Montreal is left with $10M to re-sign or replace Danault, Tatar, Armia, Lehkonen, Weal, and Mete. Then the following year they have to re-sign Barkov and Suzuki comes off his ELC with no real money becoming available.

Dallas would have about $14M to sign 9 players including Heiskanen and Oleksiak. They clear Pavelski the following year but would need that money for raises to Barkov, Klingberg, and Guiranov

Vegas would be $500K over the cap with 3 players left to sign to fill out the roster.

Rangers could fit him in for 20-21 but would then have Barkov, Zibanejad, Kakko, Fox, and DeAngelo all due that offseason with Lafreniere the next season

Kings are going to pay Kopitar and Barkov $10M each and then do what with Vilardi, Turcotte, Byfield?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Montreal is left with $10M to re-sign or replace Danault, Tatar, Armia, Lehkonen, Weal, and Mete. Then the following year they have to re-sign Barkov and Suzuki comes off his ELC with no real money becoming available.

Dallas would have about $14M to sign 9 players including Heiskanen and Oleksiak. They clear Pavelski the following year but would need that money for raises to Barkov, Klingberg, and Guiranov

Vegas would be $500K over the cap with 3 players left to sign to fill out the roster.

Rangers could fit him in for 20-21 but would then have Barkov, Zibanejad, Kakko, Fox, and DeAngelo all due that offseason with Lafreniere the next season

Kings are going to pay Kopitar and Barkov $10M each and then do what with Vilardi, Turcotte, Byfield?

It’s called being paid to be a GM and figuring it out, same as you always claim Guerin needs to do.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It’s called being paid to be a GM and figuring it out, same as you always claim Guerin needs to do.
What argument are you switching to now?

Never said or tried to imply that Minnesota is the only possible place that Barkov could be traded. Just trying to show that they would be on a rather short list of teams that already have everything lined up in their favor. Like you said, still need the GM to figure it out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What argument are you switching to now?

Never said or tried to imply that Minnesota is the only possible place that Barkov could be traded. Just trying to show that they would be on a rather short list of teams that already have everything lined up in their favor. Like you said, still need the GM to figure it out.

The argument is the same, that I think the list is a bit longer than you seem to.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Did Granlund ever sign anyplace? Last I heard, he was headed to Columbus (I thought).

Still unsigned. There are certainly teams that have the cap space to sign him, but I'm not sure how many of those actually need him. Columbus is one of the ones that could do it. It would give them some interesting RW depth. If the positions are correct on the page I linked to in this post, they'd have Atkinson, Nyquist, Bjorkstrand and Granlund. I'm not even sure which line each person would play on. None of them are really bottom 6 players.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Man, that's hard to believe, eh? Tough year to be an NHL free agent.
Yeah, it is crazy to think about how Russo said just a few years ago that Granlund's agent was looking for a 9+ mil contract from the Wild. He gets traded where the Preds tank his value(mostly due to mismanagement). Now in the covid era he might need to do a 2 mil 1 year contract at the very least. If the Wild weren't set on top 6 wingers I'd be willing to give him a shot since I remember fans salivating of thinking of Granlund playing with Kaprizov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad