Trade, FA & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All the buzz we heard was that teams wanted Heinola. He seems to have impressed everyone except Maurice.
He's impressed Maurice. He played him to start the regular season last year. It's very likely that everyone in the organization is in on the discussions about how best to develop a good prospect. It's not just up to the coach.

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
He's impressed Maurice. He played him to start the regular season last year. It's very likely that everyone in the organization is in on the discussions about how best to develop a good prospect. It's not just up to the coach.

Agreed. Also it is about $$$. To have his contract slide for another year means a lot of $$$ saved down the road. I don't think Maurice hates him as many posters here want to picture it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

And the consensus was that the way to develop Heinola was to have him sit in the press box most of this season?

If not playing in the NHL he at least should have been playing with the Moose.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
And the consensus was that the way to develop Heinola was to have him sit in the press box most of this season?

Yes because practicing with and against NHLers is a bad thing. Maybe him adding a bit of size to help his smaller size too. Let’s not forget that players of his mind have often had issues at the AHL level because so many of his peers think the game on such a lower level compared to him. We also don’t need him playing a game at the NHL level where he feels like he has to survive at times. He needs to be able to play his game to reach that high level. Putting him in too early can change a young players game and confidence. Let’s also please remember he’s barely 20. We don’t need to rush this kid and I don’t know why people are insistent on forcing the issue.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Yes, clearly the consensus was for him to be where he was? You think Chevy had no decision making role in where Heinola was this season? I think people just like to develop caricatures of actors and make assessments accordingly. It's amusing to think of Chevy as some powerless GM that can't get his prized prospect into the lineup because his dinosaur coach won't play him, but it's pure fantasy. It's more plausible that Chevy would rather have Heinola's ELC slide, if possible, but they feel it's unfair to keep Heinola at an AHL salary.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes because practicing with and against NHLers is a bad thing. Maybe him adding a bit of size to help his smaller size too. Let’s not forget that players of his mind have often had issues at the AHL level because so many of his peers think the game on such a lower level compared to him. We also don’t need him playing a game at the NHL level where he feels like he has to survive at times. He needs to be able to play his game to reach that high level. Putting him in too early can change a young players game and confidence. Let’s also please remember he’s barely 20. We don’t need to rush this kid and I don’t know why people are insistent on forcing the issue.

I didn't say anything about rushing him, or forcing the issue, or putting him in too early. Never mind the opinions that he is already NHL ready, and has been for some time. Wherever his level is, he needs to play. Practice is fine, but it is nothing like real game play.

He has played just 16 games with the Moose and 2 with the Jets. I don't mind that they are saving a year of his ELC. I mind that they have had him sitting on the taxi squad for weeks.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, clearly the consensus was for him to be where he was? You think Chevy had no decision making role in where Heinola was this season? I think people just like to develop caricatures of actors and make assessments accordingly. It's amusing to think of Chevy as some powerless GM that can't get his prized prospect into the lineup because his dinosaur coach won't play him, but it's pure fantasy. It's more plausible that Chevy would rather have Heinola's ELC slide, if possible, but they feel it's unfair to keep Heinola at an AHL salary.

I don't give a rats ass how many Jets managers, scouts or coaches were in on the decision. Sitting in the press box is no way to develop a player.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't give a rats ass how many Jets managers, scouts or coaches were in on the decision. Sitting in the press box is no way to develop a player.

I think the Moose went 17 games without playing during that period. Plus the Jets and Moose have rarely been in the same city playing games. So it's not as simple as he sat for a month instead of playing in the A.

I do think thought that this is Maurice's and Huddy's call and they are choosing bad guys over guys that could be good. Imagine throwing away your chance next year to put all your eggs in BeaulieuBennBasket for winning a cup in front of no fans.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
No ,it`s certainly not just up to the coach, but I hope that everyone in the organization has an appreciation for how much the coach`s preferred style of team play/systems selection/and overall strategic approach can have a direct bearing upon how quickly and fully a young D will develop. A decidedly conservative, risk averse approach to play in all three zones can stifle creativity and confidence in the young man.

This holds true whether Heinola is on the big club or the Moose, given a common systems approach.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Moose went 17 games without playing during that period. Plus the Jets and Moose have rarely been in the same city playing games. So it's not as simple as he sat for a month instead of playing in the A.

I do think thought that this is Maurice's and Huddy's call and they are choosing bad guys over guys that could be good. Imagine throwing away your chance next year to put all your eggs in BeaulieuBennBasket for winning a cup in front of no fans.

The Moose are in a 10 day gap between games right now, ending tomorrow. Heinola was called up from the Moose Mar 17. He has played in 1 game since then. The Moose have played 8 games in that time.

Maurice always talks about not wanting to let players sit too long. And he always lets players sit too long.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
My record is clear. I would have had both Heinola and Samberg in the lineups out of the gates and if they struggled, I would have had Poolman/Forbort/Beaulieu to step in. That's what fungible vets are for. They're not for blocking kids. It's odd for all the love Maurice shows for his team, he doesn't trust them to carry a rookie for a few games.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yes, clearly the consensus was for him to be where he was? You think Chevy had no decision making role in where Heinola was this season? I think people just like to develop caricatures of actors and make assessments affordinga
My record is clear. I would have had both Heinola and Samberg in the lineups out of the gates and if they struggled, I would have had Poolman/Forbort/Beaulieu to step in. That's what fungible vets are for. They're not for blocking kids. It's odd for all the love Maurice shows for his team, he doesn't trust them to carry a rookie for a few games.

Good point. Maurice in the end, is not showing trust in his team, overall, when being afraid to play a rookie/ prospect to gain experience and grow and show where he is at with fitting in, handling the top level.
I believe the opposite is in play for Chevy/ resonates down to Maurice's coaching preference in that he signed the 4 or 5 2nd rate, experienced Dmen to fill these roles, which ultimately works to, 2 points:
1) Satisfy Maurice's affinity for "experienced players" over younger 1st go-around prospects; and
2) It blocks the "rookies" from available space, openings.
Now, I am under the impression that saving Heinola one year slide on his ELC contract is very realistic as a reason, or "excuse", end result positive of not playing Heinola regularly. Are the Jets roster this season, playoff hopes and readiness better off this season ( with holding Heinola and Samberg back)?
Not imo, but its a guess really. Maybe Heinola truly wouldn 't handled a full year on the Jrts play roster positively, but...?
Have to wait until next year to see what comes of Chevy's new plan for next year's roster on the back end! See who Seattle takes and/or if Chevy embarks on a deal with them?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Off-season trade...after the XD.

Pesce for Copper and 1st.

or

A re-signed Seth Jones (7 x 8.5m) for Copper, Heinola, 1st in 2021, Poolman and Vesalainen.
Are you serious?
I like Seth Jones, potential to bolster Jets RS blue-line.
Your offer is a little steep and would set our 3rd line fwd, and 2nd/ 3rd pairing D back to "same old". That is, veteran utility roster plugs/ fillers signings and Maurice playing them happily.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Seravalli stated on Skates and Plates podcast that the Jets were close to getting Michael Del Zotto from Columbus.
Booooooo. Great big "sigh of relief ". Del Zotto = Jamie Benn but higher cost and less stable defender.
Glad we got Benn, now knowing MZD was touted 1st by Chevy!

Reactions: drumzan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I didn't say anything about rushing him, or forcing the issue, or putting him in too early. Never mind the opinions that he is already NHL ready, and has been for some time. Wherever his level is, he needs to play. Practice is fine, but it is nothing like real game play.

He has played just 16 games with the Moose and 2 with the Jets. I don't mind that they are saving a year of his ELC. I mind that they have had him sitting on the taxi squad for weeks.
He also played 19 games in Liiga and 7 at the WJC for 44 total right in line with the amount of games played by Jets regulars and near the top end he has played any previous seasons.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He also played 19 games in Liiga and 7 at the WJC for 44 total right in line with the amount of games played by Jets regulars and near the top end he has played any previous seasons.

Yes, I am aware of that. Doesn't change the fact that he has played 1 game in over a month.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Ouch, on that note!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The Moose are in a 10 day gap between games right now, ending tomorrow. Heinola was called up from the Moose Mar 17. He has played in 1 game since then. The Moose have played 8 games in that time.

Maurice always talks about not wanting to let players sit too long. And he always lets players sit too long.

Isn't that the new age description of a 'narcissist'?
Or just an old school theory coach with no regard for reality of growth and potential enacting.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Are you serious?
I like Seth Jones, potential to bolster Jets RS blue-line.
Your offer is a little steep and would set our 3rd line fwd, and 2nd/ 3rd pairing D back to "same old". That is, veteran utility roster plugs/ fillers signings and Maurice playing them happily.
He's one of the best RHD in the league...what do you think they would get for a re-signed Jones?

Jones Pionk DD on the right side and JMo Slamberg and Stanley on the left,

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
He's one of the best RHD in the league...what do you think they would get for a re-signed Jones?

Jones Pionk DD on the right side and JMo Slamberg and Stanley on the left,
Just have to hope Perfetti can become that 2C we wanted him to, when we drafted him, because rumours were that Jones was part of the reason PLD wanted out of Columbus.
Personally, I’ll keep PLD and find other RD solutions instead of Seth Jones.

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
What are the odds we trade copp? Seems like giving him 4 million plus to play on the 3rd line is bad use of cap space considering perfetti likely plays in the top 6 next year and we have vesalainen knocking on the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad