Trade, FA & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Apparently the cap does not apply to Tampa.

The cap does apply to Tampa. They are not doing anything that is not within the rules. That's just good GMing. Understanding the fine print and exploiting the loopholes, you might say. Other teams' fans just get pissy because their GM's aren't able to make the rules as written work for them. People can talk about the rules needing to change but I doubt too many GM's want to bite the hand that might feed them one day.

Reactions: DRW204

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The cap does apply to Tampa. They are not doing anything that is not within the rules. That's just good GMing. Understanding the fine print and exploiting the loopholes, you might say. Other teams' fans just get pissy because their GM's aren't able to make the rules as written work for them. People can talk about the rules needing to change but I doubt too many GM's want to bite the hand that might feed them one day.

It's owners that make the changes anyways, GM's have zero say in the rules of the league. Many teams have cap guys on staff whose entire job it is to find loopholes in the rules and figure out the best way to stay competitive. If you're not willing to or are to cheap to do it that's on your owner not anyone else. The league doesn't seem to have an issue with circumventing the cap as long as it's within the rules as they are written and assets exchange hands. If there is anything that is on an un-level playing field it's the fact that some teams players don't have to pay state income taxes, which allows them to sign those players for cheaper than other places. Figuring out a way to level that playing field, would help greatly but that is a difficult task and likely one the NHLPA would block every step of the way.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm suspicious of some of their LTIR's. The rules don't allow you to move fit players on and off that list at your convenience. Or keeping them there after they have recovered.

And something needs to be done about the loophole that allows teams to buy LTIR contracts to circumvent the whole point of the salary cap.

Reactions: AngryMoose

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's owners that make the changes anyways, GM's have zero say in the rules of the league. Many teams have cap guys on staff whose entire job it is to find loopholes in the rules and figure out the best way to stay competitive. If you're not willing to or are to cheap to do it that's on your owner not anyone else. The league doesn't seem to have an issue with circumventing the cap as long as it's within the rules as they are written and assets exchange hands. If there is anything that is on an un-level playing field it's the fact that some teams players don't have to pay state income taxes, which allows them to sign those players for cheaper than other places. Figuring out a way to level that playing field, would help greatly but that is a difficult task and likely one the NHLPA would block every step of the way.

Leveling that tax playing field is way beyond difficult. Getting that helicopter to fly on Mars was simple by comparison. And it is nowhere near as influential as the buying of extra cap space by taking on LTIR contracts.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If it's 'within the rules' how exactly is it circumvention?

Loopholes are within the rules/law. That is the definition of a loophole. It is within the rules but it circumvents the purpose of the rule.

The cap is intended to prevent rich teams from buying contending teams. They are still doing that by buying up LTIR contracts. How successful they may be is another story.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Leveling that tax playing field is way beyond difficult. Getting that helicopter to fly on Mars was simple by comparison. And it is nowhere near as influential as the buying of extra cap space by taking on LTIR contracts.

So what's the fix for that? Forcing teams to keep the cap of their injured players and hope you don't have a season devastated by injuries?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If we do this before the expansion draft it just further muddy the waters on who to protect on d. I do like it as a basis and would inquire about miles wood too. Copp+ for Severson+wood. I like wood's game.
Absolutely no need to do the trade before the expansion draft and I don't think NJ would be interested to do it before the expansion draft either. They have no problem in protecting Severson, over adding another forward to protect.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Absolutely no need to do the trade before the expansion draft and I don't think NJ would be interested to do it before the expansion draft either. They have no problem in protecting Severson, over adding another forward to protect.
depends on who is protected. I think Copp gets selected if not protected. And then there is no trade.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, I'm not gonna assume that that.
The thing is NJ has no problem protecting defenseman. If they trade Severson before the ED for a forward they will be using the 2 defense protection spots to protect a mediocre UFA and a deep depth player. They are one of the few teams who has an easier time protecting defenseman then forwards.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So what's the fix for that? Forcing teams to keep the cap of their injured players and hope you don't have a season devastated by injuries?

Not sure it covers all of the bases, but simply prohibit sell/trading contracts of players on LTIR would go a long way. Just as it is now except teams with money to spend can't collect LTIR space from other teams injured players.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure it covers all of the bases, but simply prohibit sell/trading contracts of players on LTIR would go a long way. Just as it is now except teams with money to spend can't collect LTIR space from other teams injured players.

That puts some teams at a disadvantage though, primarily small market teams that can't afford to pay players to do nothing. The Horton contract being a prime example of that. Some contracts are insured, but as we know insurance companies don't pay the full amount and for some teams that's just not a viable option, like the Clarkson contract. As well some teams aren't able to insure players that have an injury history. So now you are letting players with injury histories walk in FA, possibly good ones, because you can't afford to pay them if they re-aggravate those injuries. Guess who benefits the most from that? The big market teams that can afford to bring in a good player and possibly pay that player to do nothing if they get re-injured. That's where the big market teams can come in and alleviate that pressure, while benefiting on the cap. What your solution doesn't really fix is teams who have players like Kucherov sitting out all season and gaining that extra cap until playoffs. And what about retired players? Can teams trade those contracts? As we've seen with Arizona, a small market team, they benefited heavily by being able to reach the cap floor by taking on Datsyuk's contract.

Reactions: snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad