Trade, FA, Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
You know... copps agent just does what copp tells him to do so going off on his agent is odd since the agent works for copp and not the other way around. If copp didn't wanna go arb last time he wouldn't have.. if he doesn't want to this time he won't but seems to me he is ok with that.. almost like it's his decision and not overhardts

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
You know... copps agent just does what copp tells him to do so going off on his agent is odd since the agent works for copp and not the other way around. If copp didn't wanna go arb last time he wouldn't have.. if he doesn't want to this time he won't but seems to me he is ok with that.. almost like it's his decision and not overhardts

It's ALWAYS the players decision to go arb. Agents for the most part hate it really. It means they didn't do their job and they are loathe to admit that.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
With the favorable Stanley signing, Jets can probably squeeze another half million savings if they trade Beaulieu and sign another UFA D at 750. Can Michael Stone be an option?

May need to add a Niku to entice teams not have any roster salary coming back.

Last edited:

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
With the favorable Stanley signing, Jets can probably squeeze another half million savings if they trade Beaulieu and sign another UFA D at 750. Can Michael Stone be an option?

May need to add a Niku to entice teams not have any roster salary coming back.
Isn't Beaulieu hitting LTIR for most likely the entire season?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Copp for Debrusk and a pick
Pretty ambitious to want a pick on top. I'd prefer Copp over Debrusk, but Debrusk's contract status are more preferable. Not just you, but many posters over estimate Copp's value IMO. His contract status is going to keep most GMs away. Basically trading for Copp is trading for the rights to sign him as a UFA at top market value, with the undesirable backup position of going to arbitration in the next week or 2 with your newly acquired acquisition, who just so happens to have the biggest prick of an agent in the league. Most GMs have dealt with Overcharge and likely don't want to deal with the headache if they don't have to. Copp just isn't that valuable to them.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Thing I dont get is, if we were going to trade Copp for a 2nd rounder, or a lesser grinder... why not just protect Appleton and leave Copp to Seattle?

To me keeping Copp in the expansion draft means Chevy wants to get a deal done. And if not, he is comfortable losing him and gaining back the cap space.

I really dont think we are trading him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thing I dont get is, if we were going to trade Copp for a 2nd rounder, or a lesser grinder... why not just protect Appleton and leave Copp to Seattle?

To me keeping Copp in the expansion draft means Chevy wants to get a deal done. And if not, he is comfortable losing him and gaining back the cap space.

You also Have to assume Copp was attractive to Seattle. Taking on Copp is basically taking on a UFA you have to sign at his agents asking price otherwise you are off to arbitration with your new acquisition with all the fun associated with that. More I think about it, I really don't think Francis really would have wanted Copp.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
You also Have to assume Copp was attractive to Seattle. Taking on Copp is basically taking on a UFA you have to sign at his agents asking price otherwise you are off to arbitration with your new acquisition with all the fun associated with that. More I think about it, I really don't think Francis really would have wanted Copp.

That's true. Wither way, I'm not so sure Copp is being traded.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

Again, the decision to keep Copp and continue negotiations happened before Dillon and Schmidt walked in the door. Those two deals blindsided Chevroletoff, who had all the cap he needed to finish off the Copp negotiations at the time. In hindsight, Chevy would probably have done the exact same thing, because I, too, doubt Seattle would have taken Copp. In the current context and the pre-draft context, I'd still rather keep DeMelo, who we would have lost if Appleton was protected. We would likely be running Niku or some trash vet in DeMelo's place. The trade market put the squeeze on the Copp deal, that's all.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Again, the decision to keep Copp and continue negotiations happened before Dillon and Schmidt walked in the door. Those two deals blindsided Chevroletoff, who had all the cap he needed to finish off the Copp negotiations at the time. In hindsight, Chevy would probably have done the exact same thing, because I, too, doubt Seattle would have taken Copp. In the current context and the pre-draft context, I'd still rather keep DeMelo, who we would have lost if Appleton was protected. We would likely be running Niku or some trash vet in DeMelo's place. The trade market put the squeeze on the Copp deal, that's all.
Agree, and the Jets still have the option to sign Copp for a short deal (1 or 2 years) under the cap if they choose. With Perfetti, Gustafsson, Torgersson in the pipeline a short deal with Copp might not be a bad idea, anyway.

Reactions: ocdaddy

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Short deal for Copp please. Nobody knows whether last years production will be matched or ever improved on.

Would be great for Lowrie to exceed his personal best of 15 goals with Copp on his wing. Wouldnt rule that out from happening.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If he signs a 1 year deal and plays mainly with Lowry, how much would he make the next season as a free agent?
A one-year deal might do more harm than good for him...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If he signs a 1 year deal and plays mainly with Lowry, how much would he make the next season as a free agent?
A one-year deal might do more harm than good for him...
If he goes through arbitration, he's getting a 1-year deal, probably on the lower end. He'd probably prefer a longer deal at a reasonable cap hit, but I'm not sure the Jets will go as high as he wants.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If he goes through arbitration, he's getting a 1-year deal, probably on the lower end. He'd probably prefer a longer deal at a reasonable cap hit, but I'm not sure the Jets will go as high as he wants.

In which case Copp might be our own rental which would be an option. The cap space will be vital over the next 3 seasons. We did that with Myers, Kuli, and Ben. Not ideal, but not a death blow by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad