Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Would go after Hamilton as I don't see jones being a good fit anymore
If Hamilton hits FA this year I think you go all-in. While I believe Jones is the much better defender, we can’t afford to wait the extra year for him to arrive (basically lose a year of our window) and that’s also an extra year he has to re-sign. If the Hamilton opportunity presents itself, jump on it.

But still we have to be careful with Hamilton, he’s only had one season as a true #1D. In prior years he was a good offensive defenseman who couldn’t play defense.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Next year...
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Copp-Dubois-Ehlers
Perfetti-Stastny(4.25m)-Palmieri(4.5m)
Harkins-Lowry-Apples
Gus/KV

JMo DD
Slamberg Heinola
Stanley Poolman
Boolow

Helle LB

Well below the cap.
I'd like to see Danault-Lowry-Copp. :naughty:

Reactions: itchyscratchy

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Prob in Seattle if we don't protect him.
The way the expansion draft is set up there'll be a lot of good defensemen available. 7 forwards and 3 D. IMO Seattle will be more likely to take young forwards with top 6 upside wherever they can get them rather than a bottom pairing D.

I think Copp, Harkins, Appleton, etc are far more likely to be picked than Stanley.

Last edited:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
For those with access to EH’s contract models, how much do they project Hamilton to make on a 7 year deal? Also what was the 7-8 year projection for PLD prior to him signing the 2x5M contract?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If we can lock up PLD long-term at $7-8 that gives us our two number one Cs combined for $13-14 million. Compare that to teams like Toronto and Edmonton who have their top Cs locked up for $22 and $21 million. This extra $8-9 million gives us money to take a run at a top RHD in UFA should one come available, like Hamilton this year or Seth Jones next year.

That makes us a perennial Cup contender IMO.

Tomorrow I’ll play with the salaries and see what I can make fit.
No interest in any CBJ players now that we have PLD.
If there was any locker room issues there, which might have contributed to PLD wanting out, why would we bring it here and risk alienating our new C?
Lots of D options...Seth Jones is not one of them

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If there was any locker room issues there, which might have contributed to PLD wanting out, why would we bring it here and risk alienating our new C?

If you can get Set Jones on a long term.
You trade PLD if he dont want to play with him.

But yeah not happening....

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Don't even want to re-sign Laine when he hits UFA? ;)

I'm with you on Jones if he's the idiot anti-masker COVID denier as rumoured. Ohio is the perfect place for him.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not gonna assume Jones was the reason PLD wanted out, but if that's so, I would agree, don't pursue him.

Hamilton makes more sense for our window, if he can prove he's actually a #1D, anyway.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
But if we have Samberg then does it really matter? If losing Stanley let’s us keep Appleton and Harkins, I’m fine with that

The Jets are well-positioned to absorb any of the candidates we might lose in the XD. I think a bigger hit might be if Seattle targets a Lowry or Stastny as UFA, but the market will be flooded with middle 6 and 4-5-6 type D with the flat cap.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Jets are well-positioned to absorb any of the candidates we might lose in the XD. I think a bigger hit might be if Seattle targets a Lowry or Stastny as UFA, but the market will be flooded with middle 6 and 4-5-6 type D with the flat cap.
I just can't see re-signing Stats unless its $2-3 million... I think we give Lowry four years at $4 million which is more than anyone else would

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Assuming Heinola & Samberg develop as expected, I'm not sure there is any big holes in our roster anymore.......one might say a top 6 RW but I don't think we should spend more big cap money on wingers.......we have a few developing into none stars who can step up with cheap cap........very happy with the roster moving forward with good balance throughout.

Agreed although if there was an opportunity either with FA, or a team that needs to move a player due to cap, etc., I think spending on a top pair RHD (like a Hamilton) could be very good too. That's after getting PLD extended mind you.

I agree with you on wingers. I think the Jets could probably find wingers on short term deals to fill in where needed.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agreed although if there was an opportunity either with FA, or a team that needs to move a player due to cap, etc., I think spending on a top pair RHD (like a Hamilton) could be very good too. That's after getting PLD extended mind you.

I agree with you on wingers. I think the Jets could probably find wingers on short term deals to fill in where needed.
Yeah, the one advantage of getting PLD for Laine is wingers are easier to find via FA than Cs, IMO.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Agreed. While I love watching Pionk wheel, spin, skate, etc.......he does struggle defensively at times. Now he's still easily a top 4 D, RHD to boot.......I would perfer an upgrade over him long term. Hamilton is an option potentially, but depends on his contract depends, he will pick where he wants to go......I suspect knowing his personality a bit he'll want to stay out of all Canadian markets......but I might be wrong. I suspect we need to draft our own big solid two way D to fill that type of role..........we don't have anyone that fits that mold now in our system (Samberg is more defensive & Heinola is small.......we need a Samberg/Heinola hybrid).

Reactions: Huffer

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Agreed. While I love watching Pionk wheel, spin, skate, etc.......he does struggle defensively at times. Now he's still easily a top 4 D, RHD to boot.......I would perfer an upgrade over him long term. Hamilton is an option potentially, but depends on his contract depends, he will pick where he wants to go......I suspect knowing his personality a bit he'll want to stay out of all Canadian markets......but I might be wrong. I suspect we need to draft our own big solid two way D to fill that type of role..........we don't have anyone that fits that mold now in our system (Samberg is more defensive & Heinola is small.......we need a Samberg/Heinola hybrid).
The thing is, I think we’ll be in a tough spot to draft a star #1D. I expect we’ll routinely be a playoff team and picking in the late teens at best the next few years — we’ll need to get a bit lucky to find someone like that there.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The thing is, I think we’ll be in a tough spot to draft a star #1D. I expect we’ll routinely be a playoff team and picking in the late teens at best the next few years — we’ll need to get a bit lucky to find someone like that there.

Completely agree

Reactions: snowkiddin

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

All the more reason to... well, you know. :nod:

Reactions: snowkiddin

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So if we're a playoff team and not just limping in... why are we worried about a #1D?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Would be nice to have that piece that puts over-the-top.

Also, it’s important to note “playoff team” and “Cup contender” are wildly different.
If we are a fringe playoff team, players like Chabot, Brannstrom will be available... if we're a contender, then obviously the system is working...

Samberg, Heinola, Demelo, Morrissey could be a really nice top 4 - especially now that we have size/grit up front again

Still say that we were focused on a big RHD because we needed one to QB the power play for Laine... now that need is gone

I'm just worried that Chevy will do something insane like trade down our first rounder to ensure we can keep Stanley...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think and dont quote me exactly on it because I'm not at my computer but I think Hamilton doesn't want to play in Canada anymore. Or at least didn't for a time. I'll have to dig for the quote but I believe it was stated that he preferred American markets.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If we are a fringe playoff team, players like Chabot, Brannstrom will be available... if we're a contender, then obviously the system is working...

Samberg, Heinola, Demelo, Morrissey could be a really nice top 4 - especially now that we have size/grit up front again

Still say that we were focused on a big RHD because we needed one to QB the power play for Laine... now that need is gone

I'm just worried that Chevy will do something insane like trade down our first rounder to ensure we can keep Stanley...

Yeah lets not go down that road again. Let them take someone and move on.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets protect Stanley in the XD, but I think it is more likely they trade Pionk to free up the protection spot rather than trade down. I don't think Chevy will be keen on paying Pionk market rates which is likely north of $5 M since he has the counting stats agents and arbitrators love. They have Heinola in the wings who can take over his role at a fraction of the cost, and with a higher ceiling.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets protect Stanley in the XD, but I think it is more likely they trade Pionk to free up the protection spot rather than trade down. I don't think Chevy will be keen on paying Pionk market rates which is likely north of $5 M since he has the counting stats agents and arbitrators love. They have Heinola in the wings who can take over his role at a fraction of the cost, and with a higher ceiling.

Agreed.......I wonder if Pionk will be traded before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad