Trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I COULD ride the insomnia wave my MS med cause me all the way to Saturday and collapse like Eminem. Or try to sleep till noon EST and watch hockey analysts tapdance at noon?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Not going to get a bottom 5 team that's interested in trading for a goalie, they aren't in contention. More than likely would have to find a team that was previously in the bottom 5 but made it to the playoffs that needs a goalie and has a stud to send back the other way with some picks involved.

I would guess the only teams who fit this criteria would be Ottawa, Edmonton, and Montreal but I'm not 100% sure on those
The best bet is a team that barely misses the playoffs but then wins the lottery. I think Ottawa and Buffalo are the top contenders there.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
He holds more value after next year, when he's on an expiring deal. If Askarov is ready to take over, we could get a hoard of picks/prospects for him if his play stays consistent and even retain for the remainder of the year. That's when we should think of trading him. Nobody will take him right now with their cap situations, honestly.
I don’t think so. The cost certainty of a Vezina caliber goalie at below market rates is far more valuable than 1 fewer contract year.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I really think alot of the waiting is mostly due to teams who are close want to wait as long as possible before deciding to sell.
That’s it 100% and you even saw it this year. As soon as Detroit lost their two games against playoff hunt rival Ottawa they decided to just throw in the towel.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I’m not sure I ever remember a goalie bringing a true 1C , we know how rare they really are suffering thru years with 2C’s in that slot. Goalies rarely bring a 1st round pick or are they drafted in round 1.

I’m not sure there is a team left with a 1st round pick that would be interested in moving it. It’s probably going to be a boring trade deadline day. A few minor trades perhaps but the big dogs have about all shot there wad now.

There will sure be some action after the season . There are going to be some UFA’s out there that are probably going to be retired with no contracts. Trotz could be able to poach a couple guys coming off ELC’s on teams with no ability to fit them in. I think of a guy like Carter Verhaghe who the Lightning gave up on and is now a 35 to 40 goal guy.

It’s really entertaining to see the routes Trotz could move this team with flexibility with Cap and a pocket load of picks. I could see more cap moved out before they draft as well to give flexibility to add talent by the handful instead of the yearly one or two projects that Poile seemed to put in.
Part of the reason you don’t see those trades is that true #1 goalies don’t get moved, especially not ones on good contracts. The other problem is that the true value of a Vezina caliber goalie is something like a #7-8 pick plus some extras, and the teams that have those picks don’t want a Vezina caliber goalie. I think the best bet is to hope that a team like Ottawa or Buffalo wins the lottery and hopes that trading a top ten pick for Saros will turn them into a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad