Trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Predict what Nashville will do for trades here on out.

Here's mine:

Sissons + Lanky to Calgary for a 1st.

Sissons is a spare part and Lanky is just too good. Calgary needs a boost at 4th line center and goaltending.

Fabbro and the leftovers of the HERD line (Jeannot and Trenin) to Ottawa for DeBrincat

You will say Ottawa? They suck, they are tanking too. They have a similar problem as Nashville. RFA's who will cost too much. Fabbro and Jeannot's expected numbers along with Trenin should equal DeBrincat's expected #. Ottawa needs young D and grit. Nashville needs goalscoring and room for forwards.

Will I be wrong? Most likely, but atg least I have the gaul to do it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think they’ll pick up some spare depth defenseman. Whoever is available at something of a bargain (ie less than a 3rd round pick). Like when they grabbed Gudbranson.

Some strapping vet who could replace Fabbro if Fabbro continues to be Fabbro in Hynes’ eyes. I haven’t scanned the list of available impending UFAs… guys like Gudas and Kulikov are probably a notch better/pricier than what I’m thinking of…somebody a little worse than them for a 4th-6th round pick.

That is all.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think you will see anything happen until the offseason, probably around the draft unless we are out of it and someone makes Poile a silly offer he just can't let go of. He isn't buying picks, he isn't taking cap dumps or anything else silly.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
From the math side of things, we have 18 games left until the trade deadline. But in there, we have 12 home games and only 6 road games. Plus a smattering of tanking opponents. I find it hard to believe we won't go at least .500, even if the team continues to play about the same as it has all season. Our playoff odds from the Monte Carlo simulations are down to about 33% today. And going .500 for that stretch is only going to drag them down further. Probably to something like 10 or 15%? Depends on how the teams around us do also, of course.

That's the worst-case scenario IMHO. But even if we are at just 10 or 15% at the Trade Deadline, that could be just 6 points out of a Wildcard spot. And most people in hockey will say, hey, that's just a 5-game win streak from being right back in it! Uh huh. But that's where Poile's head will be at when the Trade Deadline arrives.

And anyway, when was Poile ever a deadline Seller? He'll know his odds aren't good, but as long as they aren't truly ZERO, he's going to stick with them. Predicting that Poile will become a Seller seems like even longer odds than our odds of making the playoffs!

Reactions: bdub24

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The most glaring need is to "sell" underperforming players on big contracts. Some would argue that something like a third of the cap is spent on a handful of players who aren't playing that well.

The problem is that there is almost certainly no dance partners out there who want to exchange their future for a chance to bring in a player who isn't producing and has a big contract.

Trading Fabbro or Trenin is nothing more than treading water in terms of contracts.

Reactions: Byrddog

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
The most glaring need is to "sell" underperforming players on big contracts. Some would argue that something like a third of the cap is spent on a handful of players who aren't playing that well.

The problem is that there is almost certainly no dance partners out there who want to exchange their future for a chance to bring in a player who isn't producing and has a big contract.

Trading Fabbro or Trenin is nothing more than treading water in terms of contracts.
Which is the main reason you fire Hynes and bring in another coach that could possibly get more out of those underperforming players on big contracts.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
The draft is in Nashville. Poile will be looking to acquire picks or make a splash at the draft I imagine. No point in trading anything this year unless we are sellers

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
What the team needs is for Poile to sell not just for picks but young guys who will be ready to compete in a couple years.

What will happen will be stand pat Poile. The team flounders the rest of the season and missed the playoffs which then forced his hand to fire Hynes. His standing by the team delays the rebuild that has been needed for two years now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Here's mine:

I do think Poile needs to talk to Lankinen and figure out if he's willing to stay. It's kind of tough since ideally we won't want to offer him more than a 1-year deal. And I think he has shown he's good enough that 2- or 3-year deals could be out there for him elsewhere? (Assuming we don't believe Askarov will be ready next season, but still want to keep monitoring his readiness year-by-year).

There's no way Calgary would be a destination for him, however. They have a big ticket starter in Markstrom, are satisfied in Vladar as backup, and have the best goalie in the minors in Wolf. So forget about Calgary.

But LA is starting Phoenix Copley, are bound for the playoffs, *AND* have a surplus of ready prospects they can't seem to make room in the lineup for (Spence, Kupari, Bjornfot), and a surplus on D in general.

So *IF* we are trending further out of the playoffs, and *IF* Lankinen has no interest in extending with us for just 1 year, then LA might be a more likely customer. Lankinen for Jordan Spence would interest me. The problem with that, though, is we'd have to use Askarov as backup, and then hamstring Milwaukee letting them run with Cooley and Vejmelka? I don't see it happening, therefore. Poile would just let Lankinen walk instead of doing that.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If we do miss the playoffs would be nice if the conspiracy theory shit actually happened and the NHL rigged the draft lottery so we would have a top 3 pick
If they rig it, they're going to rig it in favor of Chicago, right? :banghead:

Of course, that could just be the #1 pick. And Chicago could be ranked #1 already going into the lottery, so the NHL could kill two birds with one stone, letting Chicago still have Bedard #1, and if we win in the lottery and move up 10 spots to draft 2 or 3, then they get the hometown crowd effect at the same time as placing Bedard where they want him.
:badidea:

Reactions: bdub24

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I do think Poile needs to talk to Lankinen and figure out if he's willing to stay. It's kind of tough since ideally we won't want to offer him more than a 1-year deal. And I think he has shown he's good enough that 2- or 3-year deals could be out there for him elsewhere? (Assuming we don't believe Askarov will be ready next season, but still want to keep monitoring his readiness year-by-year).

There's no way Calgary would be a destination for him, however. They have a big ticket starter in Markstrom, are satisfied in Vladar as backup, and have the best goalie in the minors in Wolf. So forget about Calgary.

But LA is starting Phoenix Copley, are bound for the playoffs, *AND* have a surplus of ready prospects they can't seem to make room in the lineup for (Spence, Kupari, Bjornfot), and a surplus on D in general.

So *IF* we are trending further out of the playoffs, and *IF* Lankinen has no interest in extending with us for just 1 year, then LA might be a more likely customer. Lankinen for Jordan Spence would interest me. The problem with that, though, is we'd have to use Askarov as backup, and then hamstring Milwaukee letting them run with Cooley and Vejmelka? I don't see it happening, therefore. Poile would just let Lankinen walk instead of doing that.

Works for me, beer man. This team had a great run by Saros to keep them running for a WC...that is not anywhere close enough, for me,

If you are a forward who's older than Forsberg; rent don't buy.

See if there is a Godfather offer for Saros. Next year I can go for Saros/Askarov, or Lanky (New 2year deal)/Askarov. Either way, I want something for either Saros/Lanky. I have mentioned a "Nuclear option" where you trade BOTH Saros and Lanky if you think this season is lost. I said it as a joke, not a viable strategy. One or other.

Trading a defenseman will be tough. Who do you trust to be a 2nd pairing guy? Josi and McD are magic but who is #3? Carrier seems to be the leader. He's been getting TOI splits similar to Ekholm. So who is LHD? Lauzon? Del Gaizo? Stasney? Fabbro has been passed on the depth chart so he's trade bait.

WE must also remember there is a lot of young guys in the pipe; 1st rds, Kemell, Happy, Svechkov. RHD depth for Milwaukee; Matier and Procop. Added Milwaukee center depth in Burke. Forwards in Milwaukee who will be competing for spots; Leonard, Tommasino, Afansyev, Nurmi, Evanselista.

Build for next years camp, assume Saros is the starter, (The price for a Vesina quality starter is high). Build for next year's camp

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Poile isn't going to get rid of Saros unless the owners just decide they want to go full rebuild, and since that isn't going to happen discussion of trading Saros atm isn't really a thing.

Players I think Poile could possibly look at moving before next season:

Joey
Sissons
Granlund
Fabbro
Trenin

outside of that I think you are probably stretching pretty hard unless there is a major shift from the owners.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Poile isn't going to get rid of Saros unless the owners just decide they want to go full rebuild, and since that isn't going to happen discussion of trading Saros atm isn't really a thing.

Players I think Poile could possibly look at moving before next season:

Joey
Sissons
Granlund
Fabbro
Trenin

outside of that I think you are probably stretching pretty hard unless there is a major shift from the owners.
If you are serious about moving the needle and don't really care in which direction (since all you need is a top-5 pick and a Cup is a slam dunk :sarcasm:) then the right list is:

Johansen
Forsberg
Josi
McDonaugh
Duchene
Granlund

You have to move out your big contracts to clear cap space for a rebuild. Moving Josi might be painful and you might lose some of the fan base, but he has value, would give you a return, and would clear a big chunk of cap.

I don't see that happening, but someone did trade Wayne Gretzky. ;)

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
If you are serious about moving the needle and don't really care in which direction (since all you need is a top-5 pick and a Cup is a slam dunk :sarcasm:) then the right list is:

Johansen
Forsberg
Josi
McDonaugh
Duchene
Granlund

You have to move out your big contracts to clear cap space for a rebuild. Moving Josi might be painful and you might lose some of the fan base, but he has value, would give you a return, and would clear a big chunk of cap.

Most of those guys have to bless a trade/move and I doubt that’s happening.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
I just wish we could get a new coach in here before making any hard decisions on trading guys. Who knows what anybody would look like with the right coach. :(
Since this team has a good mix of veterans and excellent prospects they should be much higher in the standings. The only thing holding them back has to be coaching and a few puzzling system decisions. How can so many of our team be out of position so often? How can so many seasoned veterans make so many mental mistakes? The cause has to land at the feet of the head coach. Has he been tuned out by the players?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth

Johansen
Forsberg
Josi
McDonaugh
Duchene
Granlund

Im not opposed to trading Josi, but even with keeping him we could do a retool on the fly if we throw in the towel on this season

Trotz comes in for Hynes, Karl Taylor promoted to assistant to replace Trotz who replaces GMDP in a couple seasons

Here is my trade list

Sissons
Granlund
Johansen
Trenin
Ekholm
Lankinen
Fabbro
2024 theoretical line up

Forsberg-Parsinnen-Duchene
Nino-Glass-Tomasino
OPEN-Novak-Evangelista
Jeannot-Jankowski-Nurmi

Mcdonough-Josi
OPEN-Carrier
Lauzon-Mckeown

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: triggrman

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Here's mine:

Sissons is a spare part and Lanky is just too good. Calgary needs a boost at 4th line center and goaltending.

Fabbro and the leftovers of the HERD line (Jeannot and Trenin) to Ottawa for DeBrincat

You will say Ottawa? They suck, they are tanking too. They have a similar problem as Nashville. RFA's who will cost too much. Fabbro and Jeannot's expected numbers along with Trenin should equal DeBrincat's expected #. Ottawa needs young D and grit. Nashville needs goalscoring and room for forwards.

Will I be wrong? Most likely, but atg least I have the gaul to do it.
Are you bringing up Askarov permanently?

That leaves Milwaukee with Cooley and the ECHL Vomacka in goal.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Im not opposed to trading Josi, but even with keeping him we could do a retool on the fly if we throw in the towel on this season

Trotz comes in for Hynes, Karl Taylor promoted to assistant to replace Trotz who replaces GMDP in a couple seasons

Here is my trade list

Sissons
Granlund
Johansen
Trenin
Ekholm
Lankinen
Fabbro
2024 theoretical line up

Forsberg-Parsinnen-Duchene
Nino-Glass-Tomasino
OPEN-Novak-Evangelista
Jeannot-Jankowski-Nurmi

Mcdonough-Josi
OPEN-Carrier
Lauzon-Mckeown
Isnt near enough free salary cap out there to purge those big salaries without a good chunk coming back.

If you wanted, could possibly trade fabbro, trenin, lankinen, and/or sissons without cap coming back but the rest are going to require something big coming back

Reactions: Byrddog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad