Trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I personally hope that Saros does not get traded. With Saros in net, we get to watch the young guys grow and develop while still having a goalie that can keep the team in any game.

If they do trade Saros, I’d hope that it is for a franchise altering forward because losing Saros is definitely a franchise altering decision.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I personally hope that Saros does not get traded. With Saros in net, we get to watch the young guys grow and develop while still having a goalie that can keep the team in any game.

If they do trade Saros, I’d hope that it is for a franchise altering forward because losing Saros is definitely a franchise altering decision.
Yes unless Askarov is the real deal. If that is the case, you just fast-tracked your team back to the playoffs.

This is why we all aren't GMs, and this is why they get paid the big bucks hahaha

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
As many of you seem to be, I am ironically pumped at this fire sale. The moves so far positive ones in my book, the only questionable one was the first one. In total the moves are really smart IMHO. you redefine your build around core, bag a ton of high round picks, then use them as leverage at the Nashville draft if possible. Even if you don't take the last step, the local market is going to love all those Preds calls to the podium. Practically a win-win.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
14 first round picks traded in the last 4 years. 12 this year. I think that was the stat I heard this year. This is the time to sell if you are.

Not to mention we picked up multiple second round picks and a top prospect with two NHL caliber defenseman.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I agree w/ Glen. Wild card. If your socks get blown off, this is the market he gets traded in. That said, I don't think he is moved. Poile/Trotz have put enormous value on drafting and maintaining a strong goalie.
Saros value is at its peak right now . If there is a inkling of moving him I suspect it would be before the draft. The number of picks being stacked up there has to be a target. Moving into picking top 3 being one of them , if that is not the case
What better way for Trotz to evaluate the current team then firing Hynes and taking over as interim coach for the balance of the season.
I think that would be a perfect move. Not many of these guys played under Trotz. It will also give him a inside look at the type coach he needs to hire.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Based off yesterdays games id go with a defense of
Josi - fabbro
Mcd - carrier
Lauzon - barrie

Tell lauzon to just play defenisve and let barrie do all the work offensively
I want to see Foote. He’s young and still has potential. Someone has to go before Friday.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I think it is likely fabbro. Just been so much smoke around him for so long now. Hope im wrong though.
I think you may be right. I kinda wish we would move carrier over fabbro. Fabbro is younger and has higher ceiling I feel.
I mean of all the defenseman I most would prefer Barrie goes but I don’t think that will be the case.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think you may be right. I kinda wish we would move carrier over fabbro. Fabbro is younger and has higher ceiling I feel.
I mean of all the defenseman I most would prefer Barrie goes but I don’t think that will be the case.
I think they want to have a vet presence on both lhd and rhd.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Doesn’t Fabbro have more games in then carrier?
Yep and hes younger. Idk why we would trade either fabbro or carrier unless one wants out of nashville or has a bad name for himself in the lockerroom.

Barrie should be odd man out or rotate him in and out with Foote. I think hes got the lowest ceiling of the three young rhd but im not in the room so 🤷

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I would expect us to move one or two more pieces. Maybe Fabbro, Trenin or Sissons.

Acquiring even more ‘23 draft capital is going to be crucial if we are looking to retool quickly. The draft has so much depth and value.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Obviously been particularly crazy for us but this really puts in perspective just how crazy this years deadline has been.

It had been a nice Trade Week. And to be honest, I never understood why teams waited around to Deadline Day for stuff before, it seems like a perfect recipe to either overpay, or be caught without a chair when the music stopped and get desperate. Whereas you should be checking these opportunities out weeks in advance and laying the foundations, exploring all the options, and when you are sure where you stand, the deal should certainly be done long before the hard deadline.
:dunno:

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I would expect us to move one or two more pieces. Maybe Fabbro, Trenin or Sissons.

Acquiring even more ‘23 draft capital is going to be crucial if we are looking to retool quickly. The draft has so much depth and value.
I think we are pretty much done unless someone just gets desperate and offers something silly, which may happen as we saw with Granlund yesterday. We may see Lankinen get moved because it just makes sense but I think if those guys were going to get moved they probably already would have. Now it may just be that Poile has set a high price on them and is unwilling to budge unless someone meets that price, but you haven't heard many whispers on a Trenin or Sissons, and I think Poile's need to move Fabbro is no longer there cause cap isn't an issue anymore.

Sissons I could see more than the others because he is getting some age on him, but the cheaper younger guys Poile hasn't really moved unless it was just an insane offer like Tampa did with Jeannot.

It's kind of like with Saros, I don't think he is 100% off the table, but I think someone will need to come in and offer what looks to be a future 1C for Poile/Trotz to let him go. I don't see him being moved for a 1st + random good prospect, that prospect is going to need to be someone they just can't say no too.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
It had been a nice Trade Week. And to be honest, I never understood why teams waited around to Deadline Day for stuff before, it seems like a perfect recipe to either overpay, or be caught without a chair when the music stopped and get desperate. Whereas you should be checking these opportunities out weeks in advance and laying the foundations, exploring all the options, and when you are sure where you stand, the deal should certainly be done long before the hard deadline.
:dunno:
I really think alot of the waiting is mostly due to teams who are close want to wait as long as possible before deciding to sell.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I really think alot of the waiting is mostly due to teams who are close want to wait as long as possible before deciding to sell.
That's some of it, but I think with others its just teams not getting the offers they think they should be so they keep waiting. That's why you always end up seeing a couple decent players late in the day go for pennies cause teams decide to take anything rather than nothing at all.

The only one for us I think that may fall into that category may be Lankinen. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go late for next to nothing.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think we are pretty much done unless someone just gets desperate and offers something silly, which may happen as we saw with Granlund yesterday. We may see Lankinen get moved because it just makes sense but I think if those guys were going to get moved they probably already would have. Now it may just be that Poile has set a high price on them and is unwilling to budge unless someone meets that price, but you haven't heard many whispers on a Trenin or Sissons, and I think Poile's need to move Fabbro is no longer there cause cap isn't an issue anymore.

Sissons I could see more than the others because he is getting some age on him, but the cheaper younger guys Poile hasn't really moved unless it was just an insane offer like Tampa did with Jeannot.

It's kind of like with Saros, I don't think he is 100% off the table, but I think someone will need to come in and offer what looks to be a future 1C for Poile/Trotz to let him go. I don't see him being moved for a 1st + random good prospect, that prospect is going to need to be someone they just can't say no too.
I’m not sure I ever remember a goalie bringing a true 1C , we know how rare they really are suffering thru years with 2C’s in that slot. Goalies rarely bring a 1st round pick or are they drafted in round 1.

I’m not sure there is a team left with a 1st round pick that would be interested in moving it. It’s probably going to be a boring trade deadline day. A few minor trades perhaps but the big dogs have about all shot there wad now.

There will sure be some action after the season . There are going to be some UFA’s out there that are probably going to be retired with no contracts. Trotz could be able to poach a couple guys coming off ELC’s on teams with no ability to fit them in. I think of a guy like Carter Verhaghe who the Lightning gave up on and is now a 35 to 40 goal guy.

It’s really entertaining to see the routes Trotz could move this team with flexibility with Cap and a pocket load of picks. I could see more cap moved out before they draft as well to give flexibility to add talent by the handful instead of the yearly one or two projects that Poile seemed to put in.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I don’t want to trade McD at this point. I’m convinced the plan isn’t to completely implode the franchise and he will be a great mentor. This is really looking like a master class in adjusting where it makes sense while also restocking the future and opening cap for stop gap needs.

I really believe this team is still just as competitively set to make the playoffs next season as they were this season and that’s before leveraging the cap space.

I dont think the plan is too completely rebuild either. I dont think it ever was.

They have plenty of picks to continue the retool while trying to compete. Especially if things go south the rest of the season and we have a better chance at picking early. But if you look at the lineup, the defense without Ekholm is still pretty solid. Especially if Fabbro and Carrier continues to get better. Theyre still set in goal. Offensively it gets a little dicey, but aside from Jeannot (who wasnt really producing this season) they got rid of two older players who's spot could potentially be replaced by younger hungrier players in the system. They still have Duchene/Forsberg/Johansen heading into next season. They could look at the free agency market and see whos available, especially seeing as alot of these trades around the league are likely just rentals. If not, you just roll with the younger players like Evangelista/Tomasino/Parssinen/Afanaseyev heading into next season and see if you can make the Playoffs with them and a new coaching staff.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
1677808623975.png

I did this in a visual way. Please check my work, I took meds on an empty stomach and stoned-ish. I broke down the picks removing the Jeannot trade and treating it as a 'unicorn' also totaling up the salaries traded.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
View attachment 661654

I did this in a visual way. Please check my work, I took meds on an empty stomach and stoned-ish. I broke down the picks removing the Jeannot trade and treating it as a 'unicorn' also totaling up the salaries traded.

Insane question for the draft:

if option a) is to get Beddard and/or top 4 pick

could option B) be overwhelm Toronto for Matthews?

Based on tax calculators, Auston is only making 5.5 mil post tax. (Not including endorsements). But I have riden the Toronto subways, Stamkos in Tampa Bay, had a high end watch deal. If a hockey star wants deals in Canada If won't matter where they are from. Plus, TN tax situation. if max deal is 17.5-18 million. Would you send the world to Toronto for Matthews and a max extension at the draft?

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Insane question for the draft:

if option a) is to get Beddard and/or top 4 pick

could option B) be overwhelm Toronto for Matthews?

Based on tax calculators, Auston is only making 5.5 mil post tax. (Not including endorsements). But I have riden the Toronto subways, Stamkos in Tampa Bay, had a high end watch deal. If a hockey star wants deals in Canada If won't matter where they are from. Plus, TN tax situation. if max deal is 17.5-18 million. Would you send the world to Toronto for Matthews and a max extension at the draft?
Matthews doesn't make sense, Beddard does. We're looking to build in the next 3-5 years likely. I don't think Matthews would buy-in either with very little to show in terms of a playoff push.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Matthews doesn't make sense, Beddard does. We're looking to build in the next 3-5 years likely. I don't think Matthews would buy-in either with very little to show in terms of a playoff push.

Let's go math. Let's say the Preds do NOTHING from here on out. Draft day comes, Poile goes to Dubas or whoever is listening. 2 1st and 2 2nds plus. Matthews get a payraise of 6.4 million for his final yr. and then a contract of 17.5 million, on TN tax rates vs. Ontario's 54%. Look at Arizona and Nashville. whording picks

Maybe Matthews wants more $? Maybe Dubas wants a draft class for once? Just spitballing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad