Speculation: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
People whose opinion I respect completely are way more gaga for him than I am, and I would trust their opinion over my own. The thing I just can't get my head around is giving him 1/8 of our salary cap, which is what he would cost. One player at that position taking up that much of the cap, with the rest of the D we already have here and on the way (once we move out the garbage), just seems like a terrible idea to me.
I think that’s what scares me the most, is the money he will get and how much it would handcuff the salary cap for a couple of years, and then there’s the Pronger complex, paying EK all that money and his ankle goes or some other career threatening or ending injury, full disclosure would I complain if EK signed here? Hell no but the cap space has to be used frugally not just thrown around like Pac Man Jones in a strip club

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Cap space is an asset yes but its more like a 2nd rd pick than a top prospect. Its only useful if it turns into something. We began this year with cap space and will finish with more of it and the team is worse for it. Cap space scores no goals blocks no shots and has a save percentage worse than a shooter tutor. I actually wouldn't be surprised if fletch didn't take a page out of holmgrens book and have us pushing the limit next year.

I’m not saying to save space for the sake of having cap space...

I’m saying we don’t need to use it immediately just because we have it, when instead waiting a bit could mean spending it on something far more valuable.

Just like basic money saving. When you get your paycheck you don’t immediately spend all of it, right? You spend what you need to spend and then put the rest away with the expectation that you’ll need it later to spend on bigger and more important things.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

I’m saying we don’t need to use it immediately just because we have it, when instead waiting a bit could mean spending it on something far more valuable.

Just like basic money saving. When you get your paycheck you don’t immediately spend all of it, right? You spend what you need to spend and then put the rest away with the expectation that you’ll need it later to spend on bigger and more important things.

Yes - save the Cap space for when we really need it. I fear that the club will sign UFAs in the offseason when they are at their most expensive. Sometimes teams get caught up in that Ebay mentality of having to "win" by getting a player and the cost ramps up. There are few UFA signings that really seem to be worth it 3 years in.

Reactions: Striiker

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You save cap space for a summer like this one. With a couple of simple trades we could afford Stone, Panarin, and EK...I don’t think we should do that but you get my point.

I think we should go for one or two big UFA depending on position and what moves are made before or can be made after for roster spots.

Reactions: rajaampat

rajaampat

Jan 11, 2019
You save cap space for a summer like this one. With a couple of simple trades we could afford Stone, Panarin, and EK...I don’t think we should do that but you get my point.

I think we should go for one or two big UFA depending on position and what moves are made before or can be made after for roster spots.
I agree. We all know what we need, just view it differently. I dont think EK is a need..I keep thinking about players like Paul Coffey and how Ghost would be with more skill around him in a sheltered role....

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I agree. We all know what we need, just view it differently. I dont think EK is a need..I keep thinking about players like Paul Coffey and how Ghost would be with more skill around him in a sheltered role....
I’d rather open up Ghost and not pay up for EK. The other two will still be very productive at the end of their deals. Not sure about EK. He’s more for a win right now team like SJ. I just want him out there to distract other teams that need him and take up their cap.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost 5x5:
2018-19: 0.80 pp/60, CF 51.26, CFrel +1.45, GF/GA 30/33, xGF 51.41, xGFrel +1.56
2017-18: 1.12 pp/60, CF 51.40, CFrel +2.32, GF/GA 58/41, xGF 52.37, xGFrel +2.41
2016-17: 0.48 pp/60, CF 52.86, CFrel +2.32, GF/GA 28/47, xGF 49.45, xGFrel -0.14
2015-16: 1.20 pp/60, CF 50.17, CFrel -1.10, GF/GA 45/30, xGF 49.73, xGFrel -0.92

Looking at just the last year and a half (D-men with 1000+ 5x5 minutes - 181):
33rd in pp/60 (Provorov 44th, Gudas 51st, Sanheim 59th, AMac 84th)
76th in P1/60 (Manning 28th, Sanheim 29th, Provorov 40th, Gudas 42nd, Hagg 68th)
60th in Corsi (Gudas 30th, Sanheim 32nd, Folin 89th, Manning 94th)
39th in CFrel (Sanheim 12th, Gudas 16th, Manning 98th)
59th in xGF% (Gudas 24th, Sanheim 30th, Folin 92nd, Provorov 99th)
57th in xGFrel (Gudas 13th, Sanheim 18th, Folin 99th)
adjusted:
51st in xGF% (Gudas 20th, Sanheim 27th, Provorov 99th)
45th in xGFrel (Gudas 14th, Sanheim 18th, Folin 99th)

He turns 26 in April.
Ghost with -
Provorov GF/GA 6/12, Corsi 48.8
Folin GF/GA 5/8, Corsi 51.8
Sanheim GF/GA 7/3, Corsi 51.6
Hagg GF/GA 8/6, Corsi 50.0
Gudas GF/GA 4/1, Corsi 63.4

I suspect the struggles with Provorov are as much 1st pair matchup issues as chemistry -
Provorov - Sanheim, GF/GA 9/21, Corsi 48.5
Provorov - MacDonald, GF/GA 4/5, Corsi 54.2

Everyone struggles with Hagg except Ghost.
Gudas looks good with everyone but Hagg.

So we do need a top RHD to pair with Provorov to match against top opposing lines.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So we do need a top RHD to pair with Provorov to match against top opposing lines.

A question for you if you don't mind, deady. I'm choosing to single you out because you'll give me an honest answer even if I don't agree with it.

Just using the eye test, how much of Provorov's NHL career has he looked like a future top pairing guy to you? There's obviously no right or wrong answer, but I'm not sure we're going to have the same conversation if I say something and I'd rather not waste our time.

Reactions: wankstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Provorov is really ready for that 1st pair role, but we also don't have the veteran RHD to pair with him.
Ghost is a LHD who is undersized and only in his 4th season. Sanheim is a LHD in his 2nd season.
Gudas isn't 1st pair material. He's best on the 2nd/3rd pair with a puck mover on the left side.

But Provorov just turned 22.

He has the skating, offensive skills and smarts to be a 1st pair defenseman, but I think he'd be really helped to have a veteran paired with him to take some of the pressure off so he doesn't try to do too much.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

Here's the scenario that scares me. Fletchers signature move was suter/parise and homer made his bones with briere/hartnell/timonen.
Provy 7x8
Tk 5x5
Laughton 3x4
Sanheim 3x3
Good so far right
Ek 13x7
Panarin 9.5x7
We are now back in cap crunch pushing at the playoffs selling tickets and sweaters fletch looks like the saviour and most of hextalls hard work goes out the window.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Just my read on possible trades. Simmonds is going and possibly along with Ghost or Gudas. It has been rumored that Nashville and Toronto both like WS. Toronto needs blue liners; Nashville could use a physical one such as Gudas.
Making a deal with Toronto, say Simmonds and Ghost isn't an easy one to do. Getting back either Nylander or Kapanen would be fair but IMO, not enough and the Flyers don't need DCs in return. Simmonds and Gudas to Toronto for Nylander or Kapanen should be a no go for Fletcher for a lot of reasons.
Simmonds and Gudas (can't seen Ghost there since the Preds probably want a more physical player) to Nashville could be possible but the Flyers would look for Ellis in return since they are looking for a veteran RH defenseman. IDK if Nashville would bite on that.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Don't try to trade Amac. Just buy him out this summer. I don't want to lose any assets.

Flip Simmer, try to trade whatever spare parts we have and look for a big offseason signing.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Here's the scenario that scares me. Fletchers signature move was suter/parise and homer made his bones with briere/hartnell/timonen.
Provy 7x8
Tk 5x5
Laughton 3x4
Sanheim 3x3
Good so far right
Ek 13x7
Panarin 9.5x7
We are now back in cap crunch pushing at the playoffs selling tickets and sweaters fletch looks like the saviour and most of hextalls hard work goes out the window.

No way does Laughton get $4M/per nor Provy $8M.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just my read on possible trades. Simmonds is going and possibly along with Ghost or Gudas. It has been rumored that Nashville and Toronto both like WS. Toronto needs blue liners; Nashville could use a physical one such as Gudas.
Making a deal with Toronto, say Simmonds and Ghost isn't an easy one to do. Getting back either Nylander or Kapanen would be fair but IMO, not enough and the Flyers don't need DCs in return. Simmonds and Gudas to Toronto for Nylander or Kapanen should be a no go for Fletcher for a lot of reasons.
Simmonds and Gudas (can't seen Ghost there since the Preds probably want a more physical player) to Nashville could be possible but the Flyers would look for Ellis in return since they are looking for a veteran RH defenseman. IDK if Nashville would bite on that.
If you can get Nylander or Kapanen for Simmer and Gudas you do it without thinking twice, especially Nylander. I doubt the Preds would be interested in moving Ellis and I doubt the Flyers would have much interest. Trading Simmonds and Ghost together is not happening unless we are talking a monumental return. I could see Ghost or another high profile defender being dealt but not in a package eith Simmer unless something huge is coming back.

Reactions: hatcher

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
I also don’t like the idea of having 2 players signed into their mid 30’s at $10+ million. Too much risk there. I think there’s a good chance we’re going to see how hard Chicago struggles to be competitive over he next few years as Kane and Toews decline.

Sign one, preferably Panarin. Continue to develop your core through the draft, and leave yourself the flexibility to make the big deal to put you over the top when that time comes.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
If you can get Nylander or Kapanen for Simmer and Gudas you do it without thinking twice, especially Nylander. I doubt the Preds would be interested in moving Ellis and I doubt the Flyers would have much interest. Trading Simmonds and Ghost together is not happening unless we are talking a monumental return. I could see Ghost or another high profile defender being dealt but not in a package eith Simmer unless something huge is coming back.

Nylander or Kapanen? One is not like the other...

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Don't try to trade Amac. Just buy him out this summer. I don't want to lose any assets.

Flip Simmer, try to trade whatever spare parts we have and look for a big offseason signing.
Wouldn't even buy him out unless we really need the cap space

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Nylander or Kapanen? One is not like the other...
Just looked at the Leaf's forum, and now have to go take a shower, but they're all over Nylander. They're blaming him for creating a cap mess with the contract that he was given. (IMO, they should blame Dubas for signing Tavares. That's the deal that put them in a situation where guys like Nylander, Kapanen, Marner and Matthews are now free to ask for and get crazy money.) This is a great time to jump in and grab Nylander or Kapanen from them. Its become obvious that Toronto needs some more physicality up front and help on defense if they want to be serious contenders for the SC. This road trip that they're on has exposed that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Laughton absolutely should not get 3 million. He is poised to be replaced on our 4th line the next 2 years. Offer him 3 year at 1.5 per and stay firm. That way, in 2 years if the kids have not passed him, can be exposed in expansion. And if the kids pass him earlier, he can be traded quite easily.

Oh...and Provy should not get more than 5.5 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad