Speculation: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just looked at the Leaf's forum, and now have to go take a shower, but they're all over Nylander. They're blaming him for creating a cap mess with the contract that he was given. (IMO, they should blame Dubas for signing Tavares. That's the deal that put them in a situation where guys like Nylander, Kapanen, Marner and Matthews are now free to ask for and get crazy money.) This is a great time to jump in and grab Nylander or Kapanen from them. Its become obvious that Toronto needs some more physicality up front and help on defense if they want to be serious contenders for the SC. This road trip that they're on has exposed that.
They just changed up their lines at practice too...putting Marner with Matthews and Marleau to try and wake up Matthews. Kapanen is with Tavares and Hyman. Nylander with Kadri and Johnsen.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Here's the scenario that scares me. Fletchers signature move was suter/parise and homer made his bones with briere/hartnell/timonen.
Provy 7x8
Tk 5x5
Laughton 3x4
Sanheim 3x3
Good so far right
Ek 13x7
Panarin 9.5x7
We are now back in cap crunch pushing at the playoffs selling tickets and sweaters fletch looks like the saviour and most of hextalls hard work goes out the window.

To start, there’s no way Provorov or Laughton get that much, if Laughtons even re-signed at all. TK is probably closer to $3m than $5m too.

And I wouldn’t worry about those expensive FAs at all. First, because there’s only a tiny chance we get either of them, let alone both. Second, getting players like that and being up at the cap isn’t really a bad thing. Our roster would be mostly set and we’d be filling in cheap young players/prospects around them. Remember that we’re losing the cap hits of guys like Simmonds, Weise, MacDonald, Lehtera, etc in the near future, in addition to the space we already have. MacDonald and Lehtera alone pretty much cover a big name FA addition.

I wouldn’t worry about the cap too much right now. Lots of things would need to happen before it becomes a problem. At this point, Fletcher would need to be extremely stupid to f*** it up. Plus, I believe I remember hearing from Wild fans that the Suter/Parise contracts were demands from above him and he was kinda forced into winning the bidding on that one. We’ll see how smart he is on the near future, I guess. It all starts with Simmonds...

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Just looked at the Leaf's forum, and now have to go take a shower, but they're all over Nylander. They're blaming him for creating a cap mess with the contract that he was given. (IMO, they should blame Dubas for signing Tavares. That's the deal that put them in a situation where guys like Nylander, Kapanen, Marner and Matthews are now free to ask for and get crazy money.) This is a great time to jump in and grab Nylander or Kapanen from them. Its become obvious that Toronto needs some more physicality up front and help on defense if they want to be serious contenders for the SC. This road trip that they're on has exposed that.

Bad case of WHYDFML

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And I wouldn’t worry about those expensive FAs at all.
MacDonald and Lehtera alone pretty much cover a big name FA addition.

This is the silliness I'm talking about, MacDonald expires next year and Lehtera this year, so they're irrelevant with regard to a long-term contract - the RFA extensions for Provorov, TK, Sanheim, Patrick and Lindblom determine how much future cap room we'll have (and Hart in two years!).

We have room, but not as much as people think, where we have lots of room is for short-term, 1-2 year deals or remaining years on a contract. Once you get 3-4 years out, a lot of that cap space will vanish, unless you decide not to re-up Giroux and let Voracek and JVR walk five years from now.

So saying we have $30+M in cap room next year so we can sign 2-3 FAs ignores that those contracts will be 5-7 years long.
Hopefully, Fletcher has a spreadsheet with possible contract extensions and expiring contracts worked in, and knows how much he can afford to commit to long-term deals without ending up in cap hell - been there, done that, no reason to repeat.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
If a team is interested in both Simmonds and gudas (leafs, lightning ) is it beneficial to send both or will that limit return? Or increase it?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Both have reasonable contracts, but that's still serious money for a playoff team near the cap.
So we'd probably have to take a contract back to make it work.

Bigger problem is if I'm trading for players to win a Cup, I don't want to trade other players I need for that run - that's why these deals usually are built around draft picks and NHL ready prospects who are a year away or buried on the 4th line.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Both have reasonable contracts, but that's still serious money for a playoff team near the cap.
So we'd probably have to take a contract back to make it work.

Bigger problem is if I'm trading for players to win a Cup, I don't want to trade other players I need for that run - that's why these deals usually are built around draft picks and NHL ready prospects who are a year away or buried on the 4th line.
Keep max on simmonds.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Provorov's sophomore slump will end up being a blessing disguise. It will force the organization to realize he needs some help in the way of a veteran top 4 D. It will also ensure that what was once thought to be a potential 8 million dollar a year contract is probably going to end up being significantly less.

Hardnell

Feb 27, 2012
Just read thru this thread, some crazy shit being discussed. All these ifs. EK is not coming here. Casually mentioning trading Provo.

Reactions: wufuhimself

Hardnell

Feb 27, 2012
Provorov's sophomore slump will end up being a blessing disguise. It will force the organization to realize he needs some help in the way of a veteran top 4 D. It will also ensure that what was once thought to be a potential 8 million dollar a year contract is probably going to end up being significantly less.
You nailed it. Provo showed what kind of skill set and intelligence he has. I think something is lingering with that shoulder. His poor play is so convenient when they resign.

Ghost on the other hand, package him up with some pieces to land something big.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I love this thread. I learned ghost has bad iq. How does someone read plays so well have low iq.

I do think a right d would be great. I don’t want one that blocks younger ones for 7 years. To get a younger one we would need to trade players we don’t want to.

To say players have peaked by 26 already is insane. This year the whole team has looked bad most the year. Ghost and provy did not take the next step. I always thought ghost would end up playing right side next to morin. So if Meyers can come in and play well that’s huge. We have a ton of talent coming up. Let’s get them in the line up. And even out some mins. Love the guy but this year provy shouldn’t be playing 24 mins a night. Even out our rotation with the kids gaining experience. We have the talent to role three pairs seeing close to the same mins.

Trade simmonds. And if you can amac and Wiese. Let everything else be.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Strongly disagree with the notion of trading Ghost. If you get an absolute overpayment sure I guess but this is the first time he has struggled for any extended duration no?

Give a player with that kind of skill set and game changing ability a chance to work through it. This organization needs to be getting quality back in whatever trades they look at, and not depth or quantity.

Furthermore on Ghost, I think he just needs a reset next season with a less (Hakstol/conservative) system. The kid constantly went from playing his game to some kind of forced reeled in nonsense.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I don't want to trade Gudas for a pick. An NHL veteran who has a decent cap hit and is tough - key for a playoff team - should give us at least a first and a prospect.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I don't want to trade Gudas for a pick. An NHL veteran who has a decent cap hit and is tough - key for a playoff team - should give us at least a first and a prospect.

They need quality. I’d be open to including picks outside of the first round along with a guy like Wayne/Gudas to increase the kind of player coming back.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
They need quality. I’d be open to including picks outside of the first round along with a guy like Wayne/Gudas to increase the kind of player coming back.

Issue is the teams that will want those players won’t be moving NHL bodies. Get a 1st+ for Gudas and Simmonds and then go shopping this summer at the draft.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
That might work with Gudas in the offseason. There’s no way a contender is going to want to downgrade a roster player to pick up Simmonds as a rental. Unless your thinking of an updated version of the Erat-Forsberg trade, which wouldn’t be bad if we could get a big-upside close to NHL ready prospect. Got to make the most of what’s left of Giroux’s prime soon, a near ready prospect would do the trick as opposed to a pick+. If we could get both a pick and close to ready prospect, something along the lines of Fabbro+conditional 2nd(turns into 1st if Nashville gets to the WCF) more power to Fletcher.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hope next year when the PP is back to normal, the team has a real coach, and Ghost looks like himself again the people dumb enough to suggest trading him will have the balls to admit how pathetically shortsighted they were.

This is just as stupid as when people wanted to trade Giroux and Couturier.

Hopefully Fletcher isn't as braindead as these posts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How is a coach going to "save" Ghost?

It's not like he's that different from last year, other than scoring, and that should even out.
Give him a physical RHD (Gudas, Myers) and put him on the 2nd or 3rd pair and he'll be fine.
Just don't ask Ghost to be the RHD (or Sanheim) on the first pair.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hope next year when the PP is back to normal, the team has a real coach, and Ghost looks like himself again the people dumb enough to suggest trading him will have the balls to admit how pathetically shortsighted they were.

This is just as stupid as when people wanted to trade Giroux and Couturier.

Hopefully Fletcher isn't as braindead as these posts.

You really think they will say :booboo: ????

:laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You really think they will say :booboo: ????

:laugh:
Oh god no, zero chance. :laugh:

People say insanely dumb/shortsighted/panicky things, get proven wrong, then either pretend they never said it or double down on their stupidity until everyone knows they’re a joke.

We’ve seen it with so many posters and players in recent years.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Ghost puts up his best numbers playing rd. Moves to left doesn’t do as well. Move back to rd and goes on tear putting up 65 points. Comes in this year looks like he is trying too much. His partner looks really bad can’t stick handle or receive a pass moved to new pair and back at left where he doesn’t produce as well. Deadheads take he’s a left de and needs to be there. The reason he can play right is his stick skill and shiftiness he can move back to his forehand so fast. Where as none of the other left are that good at that. Our biggest problem this year is that provy looks broken by the old coach. As does ghost. Provy and ghost are trying too hard to put up points. Sanhiem is a beast on the left side. Ghost is not.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Did Dougie Hamilton's love of museums get him traded?

Why did the Flames make the Dougie Hamilton trade?

Dougie Hamilton - Was there more to this trade than meets the eye? - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story...owing-trade-fans-scream-smear-campaign-062915

My impression is that Hamilton may be a little weird from the perspective of some hockey players (like many baseball players, jocks with barely a HS education), but with the influx of kids going to college, not as weird as say a decade or two ago. He may not have loved Calgary, but if you're not a redneck, that's understandable. He'd probably be a better fit in a big city like Philadelphia, and if I can get him for 75 cents on the dollar (and players like Giroux buy in), then I'd go for it.

Have you ever been to Calgary? If you haven't, then you should know it isn't just for 'rednecks'. Having lived in Calgary, it's an incredibly vibrant city. Great city to be honest with tons to do.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Have you ever been to Calgary? If you haven't, then you should know it isn't just for 'rednecks'. Having lived in Calgary, it's an incredibly vibrant city. Great city to be honest with tons to do.

My ex and her rich ass family live there. No thanks. That city is all glam and business type folk. Maybe I got the wrong feel or am just jaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad