Speculation: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not sure if Hextall was but many on here were against it which I still cannot understand. Even more difficult to see how fans are okay with minor changes/only improving from within after this season.

Well my biggest issue was that I didn’t think they’d be good enough to get him to stay. It’s the same reason why I don’t think they could land him this summer if he does leave.

Yes, of course they’re better with Karlsson, but they’re still not particularly good and Hakstol is likely finishing the year.

Hogg is a 2nd or 3rd round pick kind of guy. Hard to see him getting a 1st at this stage. Especially since everyone has wised up to the value of draft picks.

I really wish they traded him while his Minutes were higher. He’s got real value, but it’s also likely come down a smidge. I think you can still get a 2 pretty comfortably.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beef Invictus

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Right... they don't NEED anything, which is why making a trade for a defensemen they don't need would be such a terrible idea. They NEED to keep their top forward prospects and trust/hope that they'll fill the holes that are going to be opening up in a few years. Every asset that would realisitcally get a us a defensemen like the ones you listed are needed too much to part with for a luxury player that we don't NEED.

If we can upgrade through FA, do it. But that's it. Bring up prospects, sell at this deadline, clear out trash, get a real coach, and this is going to be a very strong team very soon. It's pretty simple, honestly. The only way for him to **** it up is with a bad trade, like giving up forward prospects or the mind-blowingly idiotic Ghost ones being proposed.

There isn’t room for any of the forward prospects. They have their core essentially locked up. I’d agree with you if they were trying to win in 4 years, but they aren’t IMO.

There’s no sense in having 15M+ in cap space.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I wouldn't see the point in trading Hagg for a 2nd or 3rd. He's a cheap young NHL-caliber depth defenseman right now. I'd include him to seal a bigger, multiple-player deal, though, if another team wanted him.

But if he's as bad as his reputation on this board indicates, no way he'd get more than a 4th.

Reactions: Pantokrator

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Well my biggest issue was that I didn’t think they’d be good enough to get him to stay. It’s the same reason why I don’t think they could land him this summer if he does leave.

Yes, of course they’re better with Karlsson, but they’re still not particularly good and Hakstol is likely finishing the year.

I really wish they traded him while his Minutes were higher. He’s got real value, but it’s also likely come down a smidge. I think you can still get a 2 pretty comfortably.

Imo, everything is/was riding on Hart and when he’s ready to be the go to guy. That or acquiring a goalie. Give this team a player like Karlsson next season without moving 9/53/6 and they’re the top team in the Metro.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Farabee would be untouchable to me, young LW who has top 6, maybe 1st line potential, cost controlled.

Pick up a bunch of draft picks at the TDL, then you can package them with a Ratcliffe, Allison, Bunnaman/Vorobyev, Hogberg, etc. and get a top starter in his prime.

St Louis was able to get ROR with Thompson (#26), a 1st and 2021 2nd
Pacioretty cost Tatar, Suzuki (#13) & 2nd rd
McDonough & Miller for Namestnikov (#27), 1st & 2nd (TDL deal but players had future years)
Duchesne for Bowers (#28), 1st (high) and 3rd
B Schenn for 2 1st rd picks (expected to be in the 20s) and Lehtera (cap dump)
Andersen for 1st, 2nd
Reinhart (#4) for 1st, 2nd
Hamilton for 1st, (2) 2nd rd picks
M Jones for 1st, Kuraly

Young starting goalies, top 6 forwards, top 4 defensemen cost a 1st + assets to (2) 1sts
Top players cost a 1st at the top of the draft (or (2) 1sts) + other assets
Other assets tend to be a 2nd rd pick plus a "B" prospect

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imo, everything is/was riding on Hart and when he’s ready to be the go to guy. That or acquiring a goalie. Give this team a player like Karlsson next season without moving 9/53/6 and they’re the top team in the Metro.

If you get Karlsson, why would you want to keep Ghost?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Hart’s a big part of it for sure.

The other key difference is that our reasonable estimates for what it would take to land him turned out to be low. Really low.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Maybe it’s the lesions but I just don’t see EK65 coming here and elevating the team that much, don’t get me wrong he’s top 5 in the league but sometimes I think he is well overrated just my opinion, and I would rather the Flyers sign a shoot first winger to play with G, and a good 3C, and/or a decent goalie to split the time with Hart, but I guess all we can do is wait and see what Fletch has planned

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'd package Ghost and the 1st we get from Simmonds, and maybe a mid-tier prospect for a top RHD defenseman like Trouba/Hamilton/Parayko.
Got to give quality to get quality.

Then Provorov - RHD play 24 minutes a night
Sanheim - Gudas 19 minutes
Morin - Myers 17 minutes
Hagg/Friedman as my 7th D-man

That would be a pretty awesome defense.
Skilled AND physical.

That would be an absolutely horrendous trade.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There isn’t room for any of the forward prospects. They have their core essentially locked up. I’d agree with you if they were trying to win in 4 years, but they aren’t IMO.

There’s no sense in having 15M+ in cap space.
No room?

As of right now, for next season...

JVR-G-TK
Lindblom-Couts-Voracek
?????-Patrick-?????
?????-???????-?????

Or if they put Giroux at wing there’s one more C spot and one less LW spot. Either way, you get the point.

Maybe Laughton takes up a spot, maybe not. But either way, I see room. Giroux and Voracek won't be here forever, JVR is only signed for 4 years. The forward core is far from set in stone.

The team will be trying to win soon AND in the future. Adding these young guys will be a massive part of it.

And cap space doesn't have to be used. It gives you options.

Last edited:

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I wouldn't see the point in trading Hagg for a 2nd or 3rd. He's a cheap young NHL-caliber depth defenseman right now. I'd include him to seal a bigger, multiple-player deal, though, if another team wanted him.

But if he's as bad as his reputation on this board indicates, no way he'd get more than a 4th.

It's perfectly fine to dislike him and still understand relative value. Every team needs 6/7 D men. He has been OVERUSED which is not his fault, it's coaching.

As fans we are allowed to be frustrated and over time prefer not to see that player anymore. Sports = Passion

I agree that using him as a good value chip for a bigger trade makes sense.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
No room?

JVR-G-TK
Lindblom-Couts-Voracek
?????-Patrick-?????
?????-???????-?????

Maybe Laughton takes up a spot, maybe not. But either way, I see room. Giroux and Voracek won't be here forever, JVR is only signed for 4 years. The forward core is far from set in stone.

The team will be trying to win soon AND in the future. Adding these young guys will be a massive part of it.

I just think we have a difference of opinion on when this team thinks they should contend for a cup. No worries.

If that’s your approach with 28/21/93 though, that’s a waste of their primes and not utilizing the value of Couturier, Ghost, Hart, Sanheim, etc. on cheap deals. That’s assuming 9/11/19 are locked up to 6-8 year deals over the next 2 offseasons.

I’ll be hugely disappointed if the Flyers arent close to a.cap team over the next 2 seasons.

Edit:

You listed 5 open forward spots. 3 of them will be filled with prospects/depth signing. The other two should be established forwards acquired via trade or free agency. Otherwise you’re icing a team way too far below the salary cap limit for what this management will expect.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
No room?

JVR-G-TK
Lindblom-Couts-Voracek
?????-Patrick-?????
?????-???????-?????

Or if they put Giroux at wing there’s one more C spot and one less LW spot. Either way, you get the point.

And while I like this core to an extent, they’re all pretty far along in their development and they’re a bottom 5 team in the league. Give them some help.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just think we have a difference of opinion on when this team thinks they should contend for a cup. No worries.

If that’s your approach with 28/21/93 though, that’s a waste of their primes and not utilizing the value of Couturier, Ghost, Hart, Sanheim, etc. on cheap deals. That’s assuming 9/11/19 are locked up to 6-8 year deals over the next 2 offseasons.

I’ll be hugely disappointed if the Flyers arent close to a.cap team over the next 2 seasons.
Yeah, no hard feelings at all. I’m just explaining my viewpoint on the subject and you’re saying yours. A discussion, not even an argument. :)

And to clarify, I’m not advocating wasting our current stars or saying we’re years away.

I fully believe we can be winning playoff series next year, with a mix of our current core and future core together, if we make a small handful of easy/smart changes between now and the start of next season. And not even anything overly ambitious either, if we manage to get a big name FA then that’s a bonus.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Low effort joke.

But, I would consider trading Provorov before Gostisbehere. Doesn't make sense to trade either. It's easily possible to have 3 pairs of defensemen capable of top 4 minutes.

For the missing "r"?
Ohhhh I get it now. :laugh:

Went right over my head at first. I was wondering who the f*** “erated” was.

And I'm 100% against trading either of them, but there's no doubt in my mind Ghost has been our better defensemen over the course of Provorovs career so far... and I love Provorov.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And while I like this core to an extent, they’re all pretty far along in their development and they’re a bottom 5 team in the league. Give them some help.
I’m convinced the teams current position is part fluke (underachieving and bad luck), part coaching.

If what I expect it happen this offseason happens, I won’t be surprised if they’re a top 10 team next year.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Hey, someone check this for me, I have a great idea:

Top pair RD on a steal contract
1st round pick
mid prospect

for

Top pair RD

Sound good? :dunce:

It comes down to your evaluation of Ghost. If you think he can make up half of a legit shut down, 24 minute a game top pair, then obviously that type of deal doesn’t make sense.

Some people, including myself, think adding a top pair RD like a Petro/Trouba/Parayko could make a significantly better d with Ghost playing 3rd pair mins at even strength + PP time.

Now I agree that Ghost isn’t the one to be moved unless Karlsson is signed and Ghost is traded for a forward. His contract just makes him such good value even at reduced ES minutes.

To me, the guy that would have to be moved in an upgrade is Gudas. Does Gudas + pick 8-12, + a prospect get one of those top pair RD’s? If yes, I strongly consider it

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It comes down to your evaluation of Ghost. If you think he can make up half of a legit shut down, 24 minute a game top pair, then obviously that type of deal doesn’t make sense.

Some people, including myself, think adding a top pair RD like a Petro/Trouba/Parayko could make a significantly better d with Ghost playing 3rd pair mins at even strength + PP time.

Now I agree that Ghost isn’t the one to be moved unless Karlsson is signed and Ghost is traded for a forward. His contract just makes him such good value even at reduced ES minutes.

To me, the guy that would have to be moved in an upgrade is Gudas. Does Gudas + pick 8-12, + a prospect get one of those top pair RD’s? If yes, I strongly consider it

Yeah, I have zero doubt Ghost can be half of an elite top pair. He already was last year.

And if by chance we got Karlsson, I'd still keep Ghost and have an insane defensive core. Ghosts steal of a contract would balance out Karlssons crazy cap hit.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah, I have zero doubt Ghost can be half of an elite top pair. He already was last year.

And if by chance we got Karlsson, I'd still keep Ghost and have an insane defensive core. Ghosts steal of a contract would balance out Karlssons crazy cap hit.

That would be where we have a difference of opinion. I’m not 100% sure he’s a top pair d-man on a cup contending team, or at least it would be less than optimal in that role.

Regardless, we agree that there are very few scenarios in which it makes sense to trade him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad