Speculation: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We need a veteran defenseman to stabilize this group, and a RHD to balance it.

Sanheim should be on the LH, Ghost is better on the LH, Provorov is LH and where you gonna play Morin?
Plus Kalynuk, and Hogberg are LH defensemen, and they're no more than 2-3 years away. And Zumala and Ginnng are also LH.
Myers and Friedman are the only RHD other than Gudas, and St Ivany and Wylie are longer shots and further away.

Gudas is a solid RHD, but will be 29 on the last year of his contract and really isn't a top 4, rather, he can partner with a top four LHD puck mover and do a good job, but he can't carry a pair.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We don’t need vet defensemen.

We need the defensemen we have to be used properly, we need Myers/Morin to replace Mac/Hagg, an NHL-level system, and a fresh start next year.
To expand on this:

Provorov needs a mental reset
Ghost needs to be on the right side of the top pair
Sanheim needs to be on the LEFT
Gudas is perfectly fine
Hagg needs to be gone
MacDonald needs to be gone
Myers need to be in the NHL ASAP
Morin needs a shot

Pretty simple.

Provorov-Ghost proved themselves as a pair last year. Acting like their tiny time together this year, when both were playing bad individually, means anything about the future capability of that pair is idiotic.

Sanheim-Gudas played great together earlier this year but never got appropriate usage. Sanheim must be on the left side to maximize his effectiveness.

Morin and Myers can get some sheltered time to start to see how they do. There’s no way they can be worse than Hagg and MacDonald and it’s not like they’re a pair of 18 year olds.

We don’t NEED a vet defensemen and there’s no point in giving up assets for one. Focus elsewhere.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov - Ghost last year is no more "proven" than Weal - Couts a couple years ago. SSS.
Sanheim - Gudas played great in sheltered minutes, big difference going against bottom six v top six forwards.
Ghost- Gudas played as well as Sanheim - Gudas, Ghost really belongs on the left side with a physical RHD.

No problem with Morin - Myers finishing this season, and being the 3rd pair next year as Myers learns the ropes.
However, my suspicion is Hagg would also look better with a mobile RHD, Hagg - Gudas is a bad pairing because neither can skate or move the puck well out of the D-zone. Gudas looks much better with a puck moving LHD.

We could definitely use a top veteran RHD to stabilize this group. The way Giroux is an anchor for the forwards.

There's something physically wrong with Ghost, he's not a dynamic player this year, not just the PP, but he's fifth among defensemen in ES scoring, only ahead of MacDonald/Folin.

Reactions: marcsson68

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
8204da0e621497496173b5320d582700.png

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
We don’t need vet defensemen.

We need the defensemen we have to be used properly, we need Myers/Morin to replace Mac/Hagg, an NHL-level system, and a fresh start next year.

What do you want to spend the upcoming cap space on? They can afford much more than 1 star forward and a veteran goalie to split time with Hart.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What do you want to spend the upcoming cap space on? They can afford much more than 1 star forward and a veteran goalie to split time with Hart.

I'm not against spending cap space at all, but we don't need to.

Go after top forward FAs, get a 1B goalie, re-sign TK, re-sign Provorov, re-sign Sanheim, re-sign Laughton (?), re-sign Stolarz (?), see what trades are available, and then we can just sit on whatever is left over until we need it.

Having options for the future is never a bad thing. What if a trade becomes possible that would require cap space? What if there's a FA we want next year? Plus, we're going to need to re-sign Patrick and Lindblom.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think we trade gudas alone for the hell of it. If they do get another dman then maybe. Or to add to Simmonds for a synergistic effect.

I’m all for a Morin Myers pair. You can shelter the hell out of them with the other two pairs. Makes a lot more sense than paying a lot at the trade deadline of all times for a top 4 guy. Why buy at the trade deadline when things are their costliest?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I don’t think we trade gudas alone for the hell of it. If they do get another dman then maybe. Or to add to Simmonds for a synergistic effect.

I’m all for a Morin Myers pair. You can shelter the hell out of them with the other two pairs. Makes a lot more sense than paying a lot at the trade deadline of all times for a top 4 guy. Why buy at the trade deadline when things are their costliest?

We would all like that pairing, but we all know this coaching staff will continue to play both Hagg and MacDonald

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Before moving Voracek and Gudas, I might consider moving JvR. His availability might draw interest from teams that need scoring help now and over the next few seasons, but do not have cap flexibility to sign Panarin or Stone.

Of course, I think the Flyers should move Simmonds first.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Before moving Voracek and Gudas, I might consider moving JvR. His availability might draw interest from teams that need scoring help now and over the next few seasons, but do not have cap flexibility to sign Panarin or Stone.

JVR is a better choice to keep around for the expansion draft

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
To expand on this:

Provorov needs a mental reset
Ghost needs to be on the right side of the top pair
Sanheim needs to be on the LEFT
Gudas is perfectly fine
Hagg needs to be gone
MacDonald needs to be gone
Myers need to be in the NHL ASAP
Morin needs a shot

Pretty simple.

Provorov-Ghost proved themselves as a pair last year. Acting like their tiny time together this year, when both were playing bad individually, means anything about the future capability of that pair is idiotic.

Sanheim-Gudas played great together earlier this year but never got appropriate usage. Sanheim must be on the left side to maximize his effectiveness.

Morin and Myers can get some sheltered time to start to see how they do. There’s no way they can be worse than Hagg and MacDonald and it’s not like they’re a pair of 18 year olds.

We don’t NEED a vet defensemen and there’s no point in giving up assets for one. Focus elsewhere.

Holy fantastic post Batman!!!!!!!!

IMG_0318.GIF

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I think we should keep all three.

No reason to move any of them, really. There’s a long list of guys to move before any of them are touched.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just don't see us trading Gudas at the deadline when we don't know how Myers and Morin are at the NHL level.

In the offseason, if we can add EK or another higher end Dmen, then I have no issue looking at it as I do think the kids would benefit from it. Adding a "depth" vet Dman is not necessary.

AMac needs to 100% be removed as an option.

Trade Simmonds, Raffl, and Folin for sure at the deadline. Be open to hockey trades that make us better for next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Im fine with trading Gudas if its a significant overpayment.

I can still see Simmonds and Gudas going in a package together for a massive haul.

I can also see neither being traded.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I think we should keep all three.

No reason to move any of them, really. There’s a long list of guys to move before any of them are touched.

I agree with that. Just pointing out should probably be considered as a trade asset before Gudas and Voracek.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just don't see us trading Gudas at the deadline when we don't know how Myers and Morin are at the NHL level.

In the offseason, if we can add EK or another higher end Dmen, then I have no issue looking at it as I do think the kids would benefit from it. Adding a "depth" vet Dman is not necessary.

AMac needs to 100% be removed as an option.

Trade Simmonds, Raffl, and Folin for sure at the deadline. Be open to hockey trades that make us better for next year.
Only change Id want is trade Hagg instead of Folin.

1) you’d probably get a better return becuase GMs are dumb

2) Folin is just fine as a #7 who only plays when absolutely needed, in my opinion, and he’s super cheap.

3) Folin > Hagg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with that. Just pointing out should probably be considered as a trade asset before Gudas and Voracek.
Hard to really say for me... I guess it depends on how he looks the rest of the year.

Gudas is a veteran middle pair RD, which has value. Especially since we have no replacement for him right now (assuming Myers replaces Mac).

Of course, a goalscoring LW also has a lot of value too, but we have way more high end forward prospects who could try to replace him.

And then to me Voracek is clearly the most valuable of the three.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Only change Id want is trade Hagg instead of Folin.

1) you’d probably get a better return becuase GMs are dumb

2) Folin is just fine as a #7 who only plays when absolutely needed, in my opinion, and he’s super cheap.

3) Folin > Hagg
Trade both.

Morin replaces Hagg
Myers replaces AMac in the lineup
AMac replaces Folin on the bench

Then buyout AMac, retain 50%, whatever. Get him off the roster.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
I want the record breaking 8th goalie!

And then I want a Top4 defenseman. And I want Fletch to rid us of all the garbage assets that have no future with this team, starting with Simmonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad