Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Trade both.

Morin replaces Hagg
Myers replaces AMac in the lineup
AMac replaces Folin on the bench

Then buyout AMac, retain 50%, whatever. Get him off the roster.
Sure, but the problem is Mac will never be benched. That cockroach always finds his way onto the lineup.

And look at us talking about 3+ people who should be traded at the deadline... meanwhile Fletcher is still trying to re-sign Simmonds, apparently... f*** me...

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
AMac v Folin, who cares. Notice how little PT they get.
AMac's last three games, 14:17 at ES
Folin's last two games, 8:05
Hagg 13:09 last five games
Ghost 13:42 last five games

Gudas 15:69
Sanheim 18:02
Provorov 19:41

Time is going to the top three lines
Fourth line guys are playing 6-8 minutes the last five games, Raffl, Varone, Weise, Lehtera
So one reason they may not bring up NAK for a while is he gets a lot more PT in LHV.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am preparing to be disappointed in lack of moves or the wrong moves

also i hope they have an actual plan going forward

You'd have to hope that he has the sense to remember that he is going to be bringing in a new coach with a new system/philosophy in the offseason, so doing too much adding at this point probably isn't the best idea. Better to "clear the decks," as it were, and set the table for the next coach to have discussions with him so they can work toward the same purpose moving forward. If he has identified his next coach - like say it's Q, and Q has agreed to take the job in the offseason - he could talk to him now. Otherwise, I hope he dumps hard, like you'd do after a breakfast heavy on fiber and coffee.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
AMac v Folin, who cares. Notice how little PT they get.
AMac's last three games, 14:17 at ES
Folin's last two games, 8:05
Hagg 13:09 last five games
Ghost 13:42 last five games

Gudas 15:69
Sanheim 18:02
Provorov 19:41

Time is going to the top three lines
Fourth line guys are playing 6-8 minutes the last five games, Raffl, Varone, Weise, Lehtera
So one reason they may not bring up NAK for a while is he gets a lot more PT in LHV.
"Notice how little PT they get"(Folin/AMac)

Then points out that AMAc is 4th in ES icetine playing more than Ghost.

:confused:

:huh:

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
You'd have to hope that he has the sense to remember that he is going to be bringing in a new coach with a new system/philosophy in the offseason, so doing too much adding at this point probably isn't the best idea. Better to "clear the decks," as it were, and set the table for the next coach to have discussions with him so they can work toward the same purpose moving forward. If he has identified his next coach - like say it's Q, and Q has agreed to take the job in the offseason - he could talk to him now. Otherwise, I hope he dumps hard, like you'd do after a breakfast heavy on fiber and coffee.
LOL!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
So what happens if we come out of the break and win like 5 of our next 6 games . Do you guys think we will still be sellers ?

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa
This can't happen at the deadline, but, how interesting would it be if Fletcher could trade Voracek in the off season and then throw out a fat offer sheet to either Matthews or Marner? I seriously doubt it would ever happen, but it would make for one of the most interesting off seasons we've had in a long time.

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher should be happy to garner draft picks for Simmonds and anyone else he trades, come June it's easier to use a high pick in a trade than find a team that wants a good prospect that you're willing to move (they often prefer the prospect you DON'T want to trade).

What Fletcher should do at the trade deadline is move players who won't be major contributors 2-3 years down the road for assets he can flip in June. While the rebuild is almost complete, Fletcher shouldn't fool himself into thinking the Flyers are ready to make a move next year - rather, it's the year they want to integrate the young players into whatever scheme the new coach brings, and target 2020-21 and 2021-22. If they surprise, great, but don't waste assets trying to force the issue with veteran patches and block young players.

Reactions: IronMarshal

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I'm not against spending cap space at all, but we don't need to.

Go after top forward FAs, get a 1B goalie, re-sign TK, re-sign Provorov, re-sign Sanheim, re-sign Laughton (?), re-sign Stolarz (?), see what trades are available, and then we can just sit on whatever is left over until we need it.

Having options for the future is never a bad thing. What if a trade becomes possible that would require cap space? What if there's a FA we want next year? Plus, we're going to need to re-sign Patrick and Lindblom.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that this veteran defenseman they want will come via trade. The only free agents that fit and would command a lot of money are Stone and Panarin.

With all of the assets and cap space at his disposal, Fletcher can really go after any type of defenseman that becomes available this summer. My hope is Trouba and then sign him to a big extension. He could go after someone older with term though.

I think it’s false to say we don’t need an upgrade on defense though. I’m as big of a fan as 53/9 as anyone, but they’ve struggled this year. It’s not absurd to expect more struggles from Sanheim, Myers, or Morin at all either. It may not be the team’s biggest need, but the defense hasn’t been fixed completely yet.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think it’s pretty safe to say that this veteran defenseman they want will come via trade. The only free agents that fit and would command a lot of money are Stone and Panarin.

With all of the assets and cap space at his disposal, Fletcher can really go after any type of defenseman that becomes available this summer. My hope is Trouba and then sign him to a big extension. He could go after someone older with term though.

I think it’s false to say we don’t need an upgrade on defense though. I’m as big of a fan as 53/9 as anyone, but they’ve struggled this year. It’s not absurd to expect more struggles from Sanheim, Myers, or Morin at all either. It may not be the team’s biggest need, but the defense hasn’t been fixed completely yet.
I didn't say we don't need an upgrade on defense. I said we don't need a veteran defensemen and we definitely don't need to give up assets to get one. That would be a horrible mistake.

The smart upgrade is Myers over MacDonald, both an immediate upgrade and one that will increase as time passes. On top of that, when the team has a real system and players get back to normal (Provorov is underachieving, for example) the defense will be much improved. Also funny how much better everything is now that we have a real goalie...

And saying 9/53 struggled this year is pointless. It means exactly nothing.
They played minimal time together (like 10 games, if I'm remembering correctly) and both were struggling on their own long after that pairing was split up. Provorov was downright awful for the first few months.

So obviously it isn't that the pair won't work, it's that it didn't work in a tiny sample size. In a far larger sample size, it was one of the best in the league.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It’s so strange that Hamilton is always in the rumor mill. There has to be more behind it than he wants to go to museums or whatever instead of hanging with the boys. It literally can’t be all that is making teams want to move on from him so eagerly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Did Dougie Hamilton's love of museums get him traded?

Why did the Flames make the Dougie Hamilton trade?

Dougie Hamilton - Was there more to this trade than meets the eye? - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story...owing-trade-fans-scream-smear-campaign-062915

My impression is that Hamilton may be a little weird from the perspective of some hockey players (like many baseball players, jocks with barely a HS education), but with the influx of kids going to college, not as weird as say a decade or two ago. He may not have loved Calgary, but if you're not a redneck, that's understandable. He'd probably be a better fit in a big city like Philadelphia, and if I can get him for 75 cents on the dollar (and players like Giroux buy in), then I'd go for it.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
If we are targeting picks, then it should be the picks post expansion. Rather take a 2nd in 2021 then a 1st in 2019

Reactions: Pantokrator

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Eklund gonna Eklund, but he's saying that teammates are advocating to keep Simmonds, and Fletcher has said that he'll either trade or re-sign him before the trade deadline.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
May not be a population opinion but MacDonald and Weise need to be packaged with goodies if necessary to get rid of them. That’s $7,350,000 in cap space. I’d rather have a useful UFA signed with that money than whatever draft picks it takes to get rid of them.

I doubt they'll be in a position where that cap space is needed, unless they plan on go bonkers in FA.

IMO, it makes no sense to devalue legit assets to rid yourself of 1 more year of both turds.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Farmer playing the 4th most ES minutes is an epic fail. WTF? That's 2 coaches who horribly over play him. I know they value his leadership but sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad