GDT: Trade Deadline!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I say Nylander stays with the Marlies, I don't believe a word Cox says and he isn't a reliable source IMO. I think management wants him to go thru the playoffs with the Marlies to gain experience and understand the North American pressure to win in the PO. Why bring him up now to just play thru the struggles and frustrations the team wil have. The leafs will only have 4 calls ups for the last part of the season too.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I put this in the Marlies thread but I'll add it here:

Greening was an emergency call-up. I don't think they had a choice whether to send him down or not.

From the cap friendly site:

Greening, Colin M-NTC LW Emerg. Loan 29 $2,650,000 $2,650,000

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I say Nylander stays with the Marlies, I don't believe a word Cox says and he isn't a reliable source IMO. I think management wants him to go thru the playoffs with the Marlies to gain experience and understand the North American pressure to win in the PO. Why bring him up now to just play thru the struggles and frustrations the team wil have. The leafs will only have 4 calls ups for the last part of the season too.

The Marlies are way ahead in the conference and their playoffs won't start until the NHL season is over. Nylander would be sent down to the Marlies again after finishing the NHL season.

The only thing I don't want the Leafs to do is burn off one of Nylander's ELC years this season. They should just wait and give him the final 9 games.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I put this in the Marlies thread but I'll add it here:

Greening was an emergency call-up. I don't think they had a choice whether to send him down or not.

From the cap friendly site:

Greening, Colin M-NTC LW Emerg. Loan 29 $2,650,000 $2,650,000

Okay makes sense. I did not know he was an emergency call up. We'll probably keep call him up later.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If you only see him as a #3 then everything depends on the return. In a sellers marketing and especially one that prioritizes good D you'd get more for him than you otherwise would. That increases the chances of 'winning' the trade, and because we're in pure rebuild mode right now a trade we 'win' does more for the rebuild long term. Ditto with Kadri - same idea. To hell with the short-term hole. That's the idea, anyway.

Edmonton, our greatest fear in terms of rebuild states, drafted poorly.
In 2011 they drafted RNH and Klefbom, arguably a good draft for them. Again their 31st OA pick was taken to Davil Musil, who's done nothing, while right below him there's a TON of talent that went right after: Rattie, Grimaldi, Scott Mayfield (D), Tomas Jurco, Clendening (D), Boone Jenner, John Gibson, Khoklhochev, Victor Rask, Brandon Saad, and Markus Granlund all went from 32 to 45. Talk about a stroke of (bad) luck drafting Musil.
But my point is, Edmonton's draft history is questionable at best over the last 8 years. THATS why they're still where they are - not because they went through a rebuild and made holes in the lineup (like we'd be doing trading Gardiner).

Just like the Leafs drafting with Burke.

2011 - Biggs and Percy before those players you listed.

Imagine Saad and Jenner rather than Percy and Biggs?

To make matters worse, Leafs traded the 39th. pick to move up in the draft for Biggs, and the 39th. pick was ... a goaltender named, Gibson.

One draft wasted can be such a disaster long term.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Blues no longer looking at Kadri. Seems to be Wild, Canucks and Kings now.

Of course, this is Eklund.

A bunch of other rumours out there as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Emergency call ups can stay up until they are no longer needed.

Greening is still needed.

Still kind of weird.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Marlies are way ahead in the conference and their playoffs won't start until the NHL season is over. Nylander would be sent down to the Marlies again after finishing the NHL season.

The only thing I don't want the Leafs to do is burn off one of Nylander's ELC years this season. They should just wait and give him the final 9 games.

ELC doesn't really matter, it is time to UFA that matters and that can't change now unless he doesn't make the team next year.

Just would mean he's getting more money a year earlier, not a big deal.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

Just keep throwing **** against the wall and hope anything sticks.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Stop posting Eklund. You and I are as good a source as he is. Guy is a joke.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Just like the Leafs drafting with Burke.

2011 - Biggs and Percy before those players you listed.

Imagine Saad and Jenner rather than Percy and Biggs?

To make matters worse, Leafs traded the 39th. pick to move up in the draft for Biggs, and the 39th. pick was ... a goaltender named, Gibson.

One draft wasted can be such a disaster long term.

Agreed, Rackell and Gibson would've done so much more for us than Biggs did. IIRC he threw his scouts advice to the wind in this deal because he liked Biggs. Anyway, more in supporting that point, Edmonton's woes are a result of years of mismanagement, not just one draft.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
PS Lots of chatter about Brandon Pirri being traded today. Kind of perplexing considering he seems like a young guy similar to Holland but with a bit more upside. Seems a good fit in Florida...

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Travis Yost
‏@travisyost
Asking price for Brandon Pirri looks like a second round pick or mix of mid-rounders. NYR, EDM in the mix. Likely moved next 24-hours.

Not sure how to embed a tweet....

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Agreed, Rackell and Gibson would've done so much more for us than Biggs did. IIRC he threw his scouts advice to the wind in this deal because he liked Biggs. Anyway, more in supporting that point, Edmonton's woes are a result of years of mismanagement, not just one draft.

No, the scouts told him to trade up because they were certain that Detroit was going to get him. Biggs also went about where he was projected too, so this is more of a player stagnating as opposed to a reach by the scouts.

Burke was also a massive Percy fan that draft.

Still, whats shocking to me is they didnt take Jenner. We needed C in a bad way (still do) and they passed him up.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
Johnson also said that a players needs to be on the AHL lineup prior to 3pm tomorrow in order to qualify for the playoffs. That could be the reason.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well, didn't they have the same head scout for years? Prendergrast or something for years and then http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...oaching-director-ahead-of-nhl-draft-1.3123491

Doesn't sound like they were happy ... similar to what the Leafs did, except they probably weren't as bloated.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
No, the scouts told him to trade up because they were certain that Detroit was going to get him. Biggs also went about where he was projected too, so this is more of a player stagnating as opposed to a reach by the scouts.

Burke was also a massive Percy fan that draft.

Still, whats shocking to me is they didnt take Jenner. We needed C in a bad way (still do) and they passed him up.

Ahh I do recall something about Detroit wanting him... maybe that was mis-information being fed to us? Seems like an awfully un-Detroit-like thing to do (drafting Biggs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad