GDT: Trade Deadline!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
True. Does this mean it will be a quiet day?

Nope if one looks at sweet Lou's trade track record this year

it becomes very obvious

the ole man only works on week ends.:laugh:

stuff will happen today

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Top priority of the Leafs is to get at least a D prospect for the Marlies at this trade deadline. They need more depth there. It doesn't have to be a top prospect, just a solid defender with hopefully some sort of upside.

I could see Sproul from the Red Wings being someone the Leafs would target. 23 years old. Pending RFA. Has to go through waivers next year. He hasn't really developed all that much. It could be worth perhaps taking a flyer on him, even if he doesn't really have much NHL upside. Dubas and Keefe know him well from SSM.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Top priority of the Leafs is to get at least a D prospect for the Marlies at this trade deadline. They need more depth there. It doesn't have to be a top prospect, just a solid defender with hopefully some sort of upside.

I could see Sproul from the Red Wings being someone the Leafs would target. 23 years old. Pending RFA. Has to go through waivers next year. He hasn't really developed all that much. It could be worth perhaps taking a flyer on him, even if he doesn't really have much NHL upside. Dubas and Keefe know him well from SSM.

Bowey would be an amazing pick up

Komarov and percy for laich Bowey and conditional pick

Mad Brills*

I think the leafs will make 3 trades between now and the deadline.

PAP, one of grabner/boyes and a surprise player (kadri/bozak)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lots of Tyler Bozak Chatter
Keep hearing Calgary and now Nashville
Source: Eklund

Hang on guys - that's Eklund

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I've never understood the point of trading Gardiner, would leave a massive hole we can't fill. And he is on an excellent contract. It would need an enormous return. Don't see it.
And Kadri I believe has 2 years left on his RFA, which means we should be able to do a very fair 4 or 5 year deal. Again, if we play this smart in a couple of years his contract will also look very good.
I would focus now on a free agent this summer (mm, which one?) a good draft, and developing our talent. Picking up a KHL defenseman also might help.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
@reporterchris
The #leafs have assigned Colin Greening to the AHL Marlies.

Weird. Is something up? We need him up with the team don't we?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
@reporterchris
The #leafs have assigned Colin Greening to the AHL Marlies.

Weird. Is something up? We need him up with the team don't we?

Did we waive him, or just on a conditioning assignment. I'll be totally honest, he has been one of our best forwards since coming here.

We just lost Froese for probably the rest of the year. We should be calling up forwards, not sending them down.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Did we waive him, or just on a conditioning assignment. I'll be totally honest, he has been one of our best forwards since coming here.

We just lost Froese for probably the rest of the year. We should be calling up forwards, not sending them down.

For playoff eligibility reasons maybe:dunno:, I think they really want the Marlies to win this year.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

Something is definitely up.

Also, with Froese gone, I don't like the idea of Grabner getting traded. With Froese and Grabner off of the PK, it's going to be a disaster.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Also, with Froese gone, I don't like the idea of Grabner getting traded. With Froese and Grabner off of the PK, it's going to be a disaster.

This could be to allow Greening to be on the Marlies playoff roster. Since we aren't making it, Greening would be a help to the Marlies in the playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Okay, so Laich clears in a few hours. Do we see a trade?

:leafs
Brooks Laich
Higher end prospect/pick

:caps
Jared Cowen
Ben Smith (to replace Jay Beagle)
Prospect

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I've never understood the point of trading Gardiner, would leave a massive hole we can't fill. And he is on an excellent contract. It would need an enormous return. Don't see it.
And Kadri I believe has 2 years left on his RFA, which means we should be able to do a very fair 4 or 5 year deal. Again, if we play this smart in a couple of years his contract will also look very good.
I would focus now on a free agent this summer (mm, which one?) a good draft, and developing our talent. Picking up a KHL defenseman also might help.

If you only see him as a #3 then everything depends on the return. In a sellers marketing and especially one that prioritizes good D you'd get more for him than you otherwise would. That increases the chances of 'winning' the trade, and because we're in pure rebuild mode right now a trade we 'win' does more for the rebuild long term. Ditto with Kadri - same idea. To hell with the short-term hole. That's the idea, anyway.

Edmonton, our greatest fear in terms of rebuild states, drafted poorly. in '09 they took MPS when De Haan, Ellis, and Kulikov went right after. In '10 they drafted Pitlick 31st OA when guys like Justin Faulk and Alex Petrovic went right after. Yes, they ended up also drafting another D later in the 2nd round - Martin Marincin. :shakehead In 2011 they drafted RNH and Klefbom, arguably a good draft for them. Again their 31st OA pick was taken to Davil Musil, who's done nothing, while right below him there's a TON of talent that went right after: Rattie, Grimaldi, Scott Mayfield (D), Tomas Jurco, Clendening (D), Boone Jenner, John Gibson, Khoklhochev, Victor Rask, Brandon Saad, and Markus Granlund all went from 32 to 45. Talk about a stroke of (bad) luck drafting Musil. 2012, they draft Yakupov, probably the silliest thing to do given their need for talent on the blueline at the time. Ryan Murray goes 2nd, Rielly 5th, Hampus Lindholm 6th, Dumba 7th, Pouliot 8th, Trouba 9th... just wow. Then, in keeping with tradition on horrible early-second-round picks they draft LW Mitch Moroz 32nd overall. Granted, not a lot of good talent in that 2nd round that year, so we'll give them that at least. At 2013 and beyond we're a bit too close to say how their 1st rounder Nurse will turn out. Looks to be promising though...

But my point is, Edmonton's draft history is questionable at best over the last 8 years. THATS why they're still where they are - not because they went through a rebuild and made holes in the lineup (like we'd be doing trading Gardiner).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

That doesn't matter. Grabner has a lot of value for that PK ability and speed. We need that more.

The Marlies PK is top 10 in the league as well. We have some strong PKers down there (Carrick, Gauthier, etc.). Just call one or two up.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
But my point is, Edmonton's draft history is questionable at best over the last 8 years. THATS why they're still where they are - not because they went through a rebuild and made holes in the lineup (like we'd be doing trading Gardiner).

It goes beyond that. They just have terrible management. They lack the people to do even the easiest things for the team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It would be have to be a mega trade for the Leafs to deal Gardiner. I don't see it at all. Maybe in the off-season.

Kadri is more likely due to his contract, but to me it's also fairly unlikely.

I'd love to see a big and unexpected trade though. I'm always a sucker for those.

I wouldn't expect Kadri or Gardiner to be moved now, but I think a team could make a panic move this time of year, more so than in the summer.

A team with a closing window might feel this is the time to go for it.

But not likely happening ever.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Okay, so Laich clears in a few hours. Do we see a trade?

:leafs
Brooks Laich
Higher end prospect/pick

:caps
Jared Cowen
Ben Smith (to replace Jay Beagle)
Prospect

Well Jay Beagle is coming back today, so we'll say Smith is to replace Laich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad