GDT: Trade Deadline

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
damn Tampa and Anaheim got their guy. Hope we get ours this summer.

I'm sure Petry of Green will sign in Detroit, and some of the kids will show they're ready to take the next step. Hell, maybe Holland will even shed some of the dead weight on the roster, who knows.

I'm so excited about our next game.Should be a dandy!

The great thing about not playing again until Wednesday is Cole and Licks can get in some good practice time, and get to know the coaching staff and the guys a little before a game situation.

Anything to help ease that transition.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Granted I am a MSU fan, but I root for whatever team is playing against U of M except in bowl season.

Canton isn't far from U of M, spent some of my time growing up in the Western suburbs before moving to the Northern ones when Chrysler moved. The Western Suburbs are U of M dominated, if you don't like them you grow to really dislike them. Kesler has a similar position as a guy that grew up in Livonia. Tough area to grow up not a Wolverines fan, rather than be dismissed and little brother'd commented to death they chose the bigger dog to have their arguments with. I understand how they got there....

Anaheim did some interesting things today, I don't think it helps them when they play LA unfortunately for that guy.
Unless one has gone to either U of M or MSU I find it humorous how much hate the fan bases have for each other. But being from Michigan and being an Ohio State fan? That's hipster level stuff. I digress though.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
It's to bad that Wiz doesn't like Detroit/burned that bridge. That package that Columbus got is really only slightly more expensive than the package for Cole. I don't know much about Karlsson but I assume that his upside is a middle 6 winger, so something like Nastasuik (sp) would have been a similar offer along with the 2nd rounder and a cap dump. That would have been a longer term solution for a top 4 RH Dman.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
It's to bad that Wiz doesn't like Detroit/burned that bridge. That package that Columbus got is really only slightly more expensive than the package for Cole. I don't know much about Karlsson but I assume that his upside is a middle 6 winger, so something like Nastasuik (sp) would have been a similar offer along with the 2nd rounder and a cap dump. That would have been a longer term solution for a top 4 RH Dman.

Karlsson's upside is 1B/2 center.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
SNET saying Leafs wanted Mantha for Phaneuf.

Then Phaneuf can go elsewhere. No way is Mantha moving for Dion and it is not surprising at all that Detroit backed out of the trade once his name came up.

Toronto was probably asking for Mantha + 2015 1st + Smith+ for a partially retained Phaneuf. Which wouldn't work from a Wings POV at all. Oh well.

Last edited:

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Karlsson's upside is 1B/2 center.

Ok, I was wrong. For some reason I thought he was a winger, as far as upside though I highly doubt he becomes a 1B center, unless someone like Sheahan's upside is considered that. Looking at his stats and his hf page I doubt he becomes more than a 2C. But still I guess Anaheim gave up a bit more than I originally gave them credit for.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

I don't think it's close to be honest

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I don't think it's close to be honest

How so? There is a decent chance that Anaheims pick is lower than Detroits, they currently have 6 more points although the Wings have 3 games in hand. The only difference between between the packages are the prospects. I'm sure the Wings have a prospect that is of similar value to Karlsson that they could afford to lose.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 5m5 minutes ago
Leafs could have moved Phaneuf but feel better deal to be made in summer. Also talked at length with a cpl of teams on Lupul. #TradeCentre

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Leafs could have moved Phaneuf but feel better deal to be made in summer. Also talked at length with a cpl of teams on Lupul. #TradeCentre

Would have liked having a player like Phaneuf for the playoffs, where I think big physical guys have value, but I am VERY pleased with Zidlicky.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
How so? There is a decent chance that Anaheims pick is lower than Detroits, they currently have 6 more points although the Wings have 3 games in hand. The only difference between between the packages are the prospects. I'm sure the Wings have a prospect that is of similar value to Karlsson that they could afford to lose.

The Wings would not have offered a prospect of similar value to Karlsson. From what Ducks fans are saying is that he's pretty good. I would assume better than Backman and Janmark.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Would have liked having a player like Phaneuf for the playoffs, where I think big physical guys have value, but I am VERY pleased with Zidlicky.

Imagine both??? That would be very nice.
Edit: Just saw they wanted Mantha. I'm happy with just Zidlicky then. Time will tell.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

We'll be rumored to be after him in the summer too, no doubt.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I feel like Anaheim changed too much of their defense in one day. I don't mind adding one piece to a group, but it's a lot to ask an entire new group to come together a month before the playoffs and play cohesively. I guess we'll see.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I feel like Anaheim changed too much of their defense in one day. I don't mind adding one piece to a group, but it's a lot to ask an entire new group to come together a month before the playoffs and play cohesively. I guess we'll see.

if you trade one bottom pairing guy and trade him for two top 4 guys, you do it. chemistry be damned.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
All in all, I think Kenny Holla' had a pretty good deadline day. I like the moves, and I think they help the team without sacrificing any real important pieces.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
lebrun said on TSN that wings were in on petry but the price was too high. and we're surprised when he went for less than that to montreal. but we're still happy with what we got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad