Speculation: Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red? (Part 2) (MOD warning #661)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

When was the last time the Wings hired a head coach from within system -- that worked?

I highly doubt Blashill is the future

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'd rather stand pat than trade for rentals. I'm also not keen on moving a 1st unless it's for an elite player.

I do however think we should move some depth for picks like White, Quincey, Cleary, Miller, Eaves or even Filppula, but that seems unlikely.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
When was the last time the Wings hired a head coach from within system -- that worked?

I highly doubt Blashill is the future

What is the history on this? And I don't think Blashill is really 'in the system', he's been here for 1 1/2 seasons. This isn't like Dave Lewis who was around forever.

RedWingsNow*

What is the history on this? And I don't think Blashill is really 'in the system', he's been here for 1 1/2 seasons. This isn't like Dave Lewis who was around forever.

Frankly, a Dave Lewis makes more sense than some college/AHL coach.

The Red Wings should hire the best coach available.

People have strange ideas about succession.

The Korean*

Mark Streit anybody? We could use a good offensive D-men. Maybe he will re-sign here since he wont do it with the Islanders.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Would like to have Pominville in a wings uni, wonder what we would have to give up tho?

isnt he their captain?

young goal scoring winger, more offensive then filppula will ever be and obviously good leadership qualities(i think he wears their C) but we're in their division next season so the price will be steep and will begin and end with our first round pick

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
His results compared to Curt Fraser looks like a night and day.

Eh, he struggled mightily at the NHL level and GR took off when Mrazek was promoted from the ECHL.Blashill did well at WMU and seems headed on the right track in the AHL. I just think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. The draft philosophy has moved towards Babcock's style of players which leads me to believe Babs and Nill are working together. Which bodes well for when Nill gets bumped up to GM - assuming that happens, which isn't much of a stretch IMO. I can see Blashill becoming an NHL assistant coach again at some point in the reasonably near future.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Frankly, a Dave Lewis makes more sense than some college/AHL coach.

The Red Wings should hire the best coach available.

People have strange ideas about succession.

Shouldn't it be a coach who is on the same page as the GM. (There's been much speculation here that Babs and Kenny don't see eye to eye. And there've even been some strange interviews and soundbites from Babs criticizing things Kenny has done, publicly.)

A coach that sees Kenny's strategy as one of maintaining puck possession and plans accordingly?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If you went out tonight and traded Cleary, Miller, Eaves, White and Quincey --

How much worse would our team be down the stretch?

My guess is --- Not much.

In fact, I think putting more kids in the lineup will actually rejuvenate a team that smells like old cabbage farts some nights

Point is, dumping these guys (many of whom will leave anyway after we lose in round 1), will give Babcock no choice but to play kids

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment that kids should be playing, but I think the argument here is kind of messed up. This particular conversation, in my opinion, is about simply having the guys around, and I think having Cleary simply available in case of injuries is useful (I'm sure many disagree with that but I'm not going to go back and forth about it).

If Tatar should be playing instead of Cleary (which I do agree with), it makes more sense to simply argue that Tatar should be playing instead of Cleary. Why should hfboards add an extra unnecessary step to that argument? We have just as much chance of influencing Babcock as we do of influencing Holland (0). I mean, this is like arguing that the NHL should make it illegal for people born in 1978 to play. Yes it would get Cleary out of the lineup, but it's convoluted and unnecessary.

Your argument that in a game of odds you shouldn't give yourself more chances (and better odds) to win is... to put it politely... hard to find logic in.

You sound brilliant when you oversimplify the situation to black and white. You must be the kind of guy who throws away $20 on a one in a billion chance to win a $1million jackpot.

If I can improve my odds for free, sure, of course I go for it. No reasonable person wouldn't. But we're not talking about improving our odds for free. We're talking about throwing away a proven, versatile, puck possession, defensive center who we know is effective in an NHL role, for a 25% chance of getting a future NHLer who, even if he does make it, isn't necessarily going to be as good as Filppula. Or throwing away a veteran defenseman (yes I know hfboards hates him but I'm not going to argue that) for a 12% chance. Miller, Eaves, they wouldn't even get us a chance worth mentioning, but at least these guys are valuable on the PK and as grinders. I mean I wouldn't mind getting a pick for one of those guys. It's just that the pick wouldn't be worth getting excited about, and when the trade doesn't happen it's not significant enough to get upset about.

The Korean*

Any chance wings could add say some roster players and picks/prospects (other than nyquist) that aren't a first...throw miller in there to play with his brother sweeten the deal lol.

Miller is a decent player but I dont think he is ever gonna be a deal breaker :p:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Kevin Allen ‏@ByKevinAllen 4 min
Despite rumors to the contrary, the Red Wings are NOT pursuing D men today. They are content with their group.

kpsAhpY.gif

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Kevin Allen ‏@ByKevinAllen 4 min
Despite rumors to the contrary, the Red Wings are NOT pursuing D men today. They are content with their group.

As expected. Other than maybe Yandle no one worth it is available anyway. And I don't expect Yandle to be moved til the offseason.

If we do anything it will be for a Top 6 forward.

The Korean*

Ken Holland isnt interested in winning this season? Maybe he wants to start rebuilding the core.

But yea Yandle will cost arms and legs to get.

Eyeblink

The Authority
May 27, 2011
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Fourth Period says Wings are in on Pominville, but they're only a step above Eklund.

I definitely wouldn't mind trading for Pommers, but judging by the reports on Holland's reluctance to make any trades I doubt it'll happen.

If I had to choose between trading Flip now or trying to sign him in the summer and having the possibility of losing him without any return, I'd trade him away in a heartbeat. I'm also baffled why Kenny isn't willing to move White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad