Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Week (Actual TDL is Feb 24)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'm going to go ahead and assume that that deal was offered by the Leafs and not the Flames because of how little sense it makes for Calgary.

But it does seem like Brodie's days with the Flames are numbered. A lot of folks will only realize how integral he was when he's gone.

The Flames record without Brodie over the years is so shit, which includes this year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gilbertson: Is a big trade in the cards for Flames? Opportunity knocks

“We’ll do what we always do, which is try to be real aggressive in seeing what’s available, seeing what those prices are, seeing if it makes sense,” Treliving said Wednesday. “If it does and we can get something done that makes sense, we’ll certainly do it. If we can’t, then we won’t.

“If we’re waiting for the cavalry to arrive by Monday, well, that’s probably not going to be the case.”
“You’re always looking. The manager’s job is to help the team,” he said. “But I don’t see a lot outside that is going to come in and dramatically change everything. You’re not going to blow up your team and rebuild it at the trade deadline. Are there support pieces or other things? Sure. But ultimately, and this doesn’t just go for us, it goes for every team — the teams that are going to get in, the core people get you in. What we need, as everybody talks about, is we need our group to play to the level that we’re capable of. If our group plays to the level that we’re capable of on a consistent basis, and we’ve seen stretches, then we’re going to have as good a chance as anybody.

“Can you help that? If it makes sense at the right cost, we’re going to try our best. But ultimately, you can’t look for outside saviours, and I think our group understands that. We have some really good people here, really good players here. We need everybody to get to the level they’re capable of and if we have that, we’re going to give ourselves every chance to get in.”
“I looked at something the other day — I think since Nov. 20, we had the eighth-best record in the league, second in the West,” Treliving said. “So as much as there has been a lot of talk about inconsistency, and there has been a lot of that, we’re still in a position where it’s right there for us.

“But you have to measure that with what really is available, what can make an impact, what does it do your team and what’s the cost of doing that? You keep making calls and you keep fielding calls and you keep seeing if there is a fit there to help you. But emptying the clip for something that may or may not have an impact on your team, certainly I don’t think that’s the plan that we want to undertake.”

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Bruins got caught napping and still won. The Flames are not a contender and should sell for the future. Brad is delusional to think the team is right there to compete. They are not. There is no point to stand pat knowing you are going to get whipped when it counts.

Reactions: thaman8765678

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The Bruins got caught napping and still won. The Flames are not a contender and should sell for the future. Brad is delusional to think the team is right there to compete. They are not. There is no point to stand pat knowing you are going to get whipped when it counts.
I am so done with Monahan. Have been since last season when he wouldn't step up and protect Gaudreau in playoffs when he was getting mugged.

We need more players like Tkachuk Mangiapane Lindholm Bennett who hate losing and less Monahan's who are here to collect a paycheck.

I know you can't just blow it up mid season but I wonder what Monahan or Hamonic would return.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am so done with Monahan. Have been since last season when he wouldn't step up and protect Gaudreau in playoffs when he was getting mugged.

We need more players like Tkachuk Mangiapane Lindholm Bennett who hate losing and less Monahan's who are here to collect a paycheck.

I know you can't just blow it up mid season but I wonder what Monahan or Hamonic would return.
I agreed with trading Monahan totally. It's coming up 3 straight yrs he pulled the disappearing act in the second half.
But TDL may not be the right time for that kind of trade. They need to part with hamonic and Brodie if he is not resigning. No point holding them if we can't win anyway. We need all the pieces for the rebuild.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I don't think Monahan's just here to collect a paycheck. I truly think he cares.

But there are things you can't teach. Something like skating the puck to open ice in the D zone and starting a rush vs banking it off the boards to no one when pressured. Or sprinting towards a loose puck to make it a puck battle (see the goal Bergeron scored on him today... it was just instinct). Or seeing a rush developing and backchecking at full speed to get a stick in the lane.

Monahan has the skill of a goal scorer. An elite one even. I still think there's a 45+ goal season in him.

But he does not have the instinct of a center.

He's very much the anti-Sam Bennett. I know CFHF is goshdarn sick of my pitting these two players against each other but it's just blatant how much the two players sit on opposite ends of the spectrum. If Bennett had Monahan's raw shooting skill he would probably be a perennial Hart candidate. Unfortunately that shooting skill is a double edged sword and has resulted in Monahan being asked to do dozens of things he's just not good at.

This organization has managed to set both these players up to fail. Monahan should be a winger with a center like Derek Ryan pitching in depth scoring with his elite shot. Bennett should be a center with a winger like Johnny Gaudreau creating rush after rush, failing once and trying again the next shift with their persistence and determination, with the two of them setting up their third teammate - and each other - with hardworking, high skill goals. A Gaudreau - Bennett - Lindholm line would have absolutely been able to compete with the Bergeron line shift for shift. We even saw Bennett (with Lucic and Dube) matched to Bergeron for a few shifts tonight, and much like past matchups with guys like McDavid and such... Bennett took the challenge head on and made things happen, even if they ran out of time.

Instead Monahan and Bennett both sit in each other's rightful place because one guy has the benefit of being drafted sooner.

I wish for the deadline, we could trade Sean Monahan for Sam Bennett.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janks and SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I don't think Monahan's just here to collect a paycheck. I truly think he cares.
Probably the most objective I have seen you on Sean. Thanks.

My take on Bennett is he lacks 1 thing and that is the hockey sense, smarts or whatever you want to call it. The game just moves too fast for Sam to process most of the time.

That said Sam is very different this time playing C. His decisions are better. He is more patient and he is generating chances. Might be interesting to see him and Back's swapped when Backs cools down to see if Sam can get Chucky and Mangiapane clicking better.

Sam is money in the playoffs and to give him a dangerous combination could be deadly.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

But there are things you can't teach. Something like skating the puck to open ice in the D zone and starting a rush vs banking it off the boards to no one when pressured. Or sprinting towards a loose puck to make it a puck battle (see the goal Bergeron scored on him today... it was just instinct). Or seeing a rush developing and backchecking at full speed to get a stick in the lane.

Monahan has the skill of a goal scorer. An elite one even. I still think there's a 45+ goal season in him.

But he does not have the instinct of a center.

He's very much the anti-Sam Bennett. I know CFHF is goshdarn sick of my pitting these two players against each other but it's just blatant how much the two players sit on opposite ends of the spectrum. If Bennett had Monahan's raw shooting skill he would probably be a perennial Hart candidate. Unfortunately that shooting skill is a double edged sword and has resulted in Monahan being asked to do dozens of things he's just not good at.

This organization has managed to set both these players up to fail. Monahan should be a winger with a center like Derek Ryan pitching in depth scoring with his elite shot. Bennett should be a center with a winger like Johnny Gaudreau creating rush after rush, failing once and trying again the next shift with their persistence and determination, with the two of them setting up their third teammate - and each other - with hardworking, high skill goals. A Gaudreau - Bennett - Lindholm line would have absolutely been able to compete with the Bergeron line shift for shift. We even saw Bennett (with Lucic and Dube) matched to Bergeron for a few shifts tonight, and much like past matchups with guys like McDavid and such... Bennett took the challenge head on and made things happen, even if they ran out of time.

Instead Monahan and Bennett both sit in each other's rightful place because one guy has the benefit of being drafted sooner.

I wish for the deadline, we could trade Sean Monahan for Sam Bennett.
I don't think Sean Monahan cares. We have seen guys like Gaudreau and Rittich breaking sticks on the bench in frustration, guys like Bennett and Tkachuk fighting again and again to spark the team and depth guys diving to block shots up a goal.

Monahan does none of this minus his accidental fight this year where he probably injured himself again.

You simply can't teach a player to have a compete level and care. Unfortunately our #1 center does not hate to lose. Doesn't make him a bad person or mean we should hate him but this is who he is. If we want playoff success we need to cut our losses or make Monahan a secondary piece on the roster.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Asset management, Brodie likely does not want to sign here and he is a UFA.
Brodie has been bar none the best playoff performer on the back end in the playoffs since 2015. For a long successful run we will need Brodie to be his best. The season is not a write off yet. There is still 6 weeks of hockey to come into form.

Reactions: Boomstick

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Brodie has been bar none the best playoff performer on the back end in the playoffs since 2015. For a long successful run we will need Brodie to be his best. The season is not a write off yet. There is still 6 weeks of hockey to come into form.

It will come down to how the team see's this, I think they want to sign Brodie but if Brodie does not sign, than he will be traded. It would be awful to lose Brodie for nothing and it is not like we have made deep runs into the playoffs.

Reactions: Boomstick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

He may care but coattail Johnny so long has rendered him useless. He does not provide anything other than goal scoring and he stops doing that every year in the second half. If the league values him as highly as Flames fans, we should cash in. It's like Neal, he may have value somewhere else but not here.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I think you can't make a reactionary move though. Just looking for spare parts that are better than our spare parts.
If something major is going to happen it would be in the summer. Lots of time to re-tool or rebuild whatever you want to call it. You can't start a rebuild at the trade deadline. It's such a confusing time. I have no clue if we make the playoffs or not. But..... Colorado was an 8th seed last year, and beat us. We were an 8th seed in 2004 , Kings won a Cup as the 8th seed. The Playoffs are a different beast, and yeah we got trounced last year with a more confident team. Who knows, maybe guys we didn't have last year like Lucic, Talbot, Dube step it up in the playoffs. Maybe Giordano and Hamonic become the two best defenseman in the league in the playoffs. Rittich didn't play in the playoffs last year, I agree with you moving forward and I've been hard on this team all year, but just maybe they find a higher gear or turn on a switch and have a great playoff run. Maybe we can be a Columbus and knock off a top seed. Who the heck knows, that's what makes the playoffs such an amazing experience. If we were sitting in a playoff spot with no chance of losing it I'd be a buyer. If we were out with no chance of getting in, I'd be a seller, but we're just sitting in a wild card spot only 3 pts out of 1st in our division with no chance of knowing where we're going to end up.
I have no freaking idea if any of this made sense and I have no freaking idea what's going to happen from now until Monday. Good luck Brad, and Conroy and everyone else involved in the management side, tough choices and I guess as fans all we can do is sit back and accept what happens.
Go Flames.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Nashville and Minnesota are 2 and 3 points back and have 2 games in hand each.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Basically, they want to buy, but they're not all-in on this season and refuse to throw caution to the wind. Pretty much where a lot of fans are with the team.
C553B0FF-05BC-486C-BA5C-54F5DB03AC39.gif

This gif sums this season and probably most of my time as a Flames fan up.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This team is missing the playoffs. Blew a ton of "easy" games and now face a tough stretch. Also Ward is a shit coach and can't win at home.

f*** you Brad. Seriously, most overrated GM in Flames history.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This team is missing the playoffs. Blew a ton of "easy" games and now face a tough stretch. Also Ward is a shit coach and can't win at home.

f*ck you Brad. Seriously, most overrated GM in Flames history.
Apparently he is involved in every trade...just missing by a hair....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad