Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Week (Actual TDL is Feb 24)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It doesn't feel like any of the outsiders have good reads on the Flames this year. And given how shallow the deadline appears to be, they're just throwing everything they hear out there.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It doesn't feel like any of the outsiders have good reads on the Flames this year. And given how shallow the deadline appears to be, they're just throwing everything they hear out there.

I don't think there's much to get a read on. The Flames are likely as on-the-fence about this season as anyone else in the league. When you've built your team to be a contender and it isn't happening, you feel like you need to fix it by making them better, but you also worry that fixing it now prevents you from fixing it in the future.

I imagine the reason why Treliving has been in on everything is because he has no clear idea of what the right move is, so he's scanning around to find the best value deal of any kind.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's pretty much his usual m.o. though. Treliving's already ruled out rentals, he's ruled out straight up selling; so only thing left is long term adds. In other words, he'll add if it makes sense, otherwise he won't; same as always.

Basically, if a hockey deal happens tomorrow, good chance it comes as a complete surprise to everyone.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Nothing's going to happen with the exception of a likely Brodie trade.

We're not a tepid Fantenberg addition away from playoff glory. And unless Dubas, Botterill, Guerin or Treliving himself are looking to get fired on Feb 25th, there's going to be no fireworks either.

Hockey deals will have to wait until the summer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I wonder what it would take to acquire Cam Atkinson and Josh Anderson

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Bennett - Atkinson
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Anderson
Lucic - Ryan - Czarnik

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan's a fair cost to pay for Atkinson/Anderson.

And yet Sean has more points than both players combined.

regardless of what your thoughts are on Sean Monahan, that would be horrible asset management. You’d have a lineup of general managers willing to pony up for Sean Monahan. This would be an equivalent of Sutter’s Phaneuf for Jack shit trade with the Leafs.

Just because you’re not a fan, your market is saying there’s a premium. Middle 6 players are going for absolute hauls and your satisfied with moving what a lot of teams would consider a core asset for complimentary players. I honestly, from reading this board more wish more of you were in direct business with me or competitors, the sheer lack of understanding of negotiation and business is pretty great.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
And yet Sean has more points than both players combined.

regardless of what your thoughts are on Sean Monahan, that would be horrible asset management. You’d have a lineup of general managers willing to pony up for Sean Monahan. This would be an equivalent of Sutter’s Phaneuf for Jack shit trade with the Leafs.

Just because you’re not a fan, your market is saying there’s a premium. Middle 6 players are going for absolute hauls and your satisfied with moving what a lot of teams would consider a core asset for complimentary players. I honestly, from reading this board more wish more of you were in direct business with me or competitors, the sheer lack of understanding of negotiation and business is pretty great.

Atkinson is a two time 35+ goal scorer. If the ages were equal he'd be by far the more valuable piece. He's a bit older, which is where Anderson comes in as the equalizer. And we've seen that with a high level linemate he can score 20+ goals himself (63 goals from 2016-19)

And no, Monahan isn't worth more than those two. The dropoff in production those two have seen since Panarin left is EXACTLY what Monahan would experience without Gaudreau. The whole entire league knows it. His value is inflated playing with Gaudreau.

Cam Atkinson is no complementary player in a league where you think Monahan is a "core asset" (lol)

And the rest of your condescending BS is just that. Just because you think a role player with nice hands is a core asset doesn't mean he has that trade value. No one's fleecing anyone with Sean Monahan.

It doesn't really matter how many points those guys have now on a team that lost a bunch of talent to free agency last year. What matters is how many they'd rack up in Calgary with our best players while improving the team's compete level and stylistic balance. The goal of a hockey trade is to imrove your team, not nitpick about a one season sample size of production.

Comparing a 41 goal scorer to Matt Stajan. Sheesh.

Last edited:

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I just had this premonition that I'll wake up to the Flames trading a 1st and prospect for Palmieri and getting Green from Detroit at 50% retained for a conditional third.

Please let me be wrong lol

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Atkinson is a two time 35+ goal scorer. If the ages were equal he'd be by far the more valuable piece. He's a bit older, which is where Anderson comes in as the equalizer. And we've seen that with a high level linemate he can score 20+ goals himself.

And no, Monahan isn't worth more than those two. The dropoff in production those two have seen since Panarin left is EXACTLY what Monahan would experience without Gaudreau. The whole entire league knows it. His value is inflated playing with Gaudreau.

Cam Atkinson is no complementary player in a league where you think Monahan is a "core asset" (lol)

And the rest of your condescending BS is just that. Just because you think a role player with nice hands is a core asset doesn't mean he has that trade value. No one's fleecing anyone with Sean Monahan.

1) The issue is there isn't a time machine in this league. You're talking about a piece that now on the back 9 of their career versus the first.

2) Anderson would be a buy-low in this league, or a value for value trade. An injury riddled season that has a single goal mustered isn't an 'equalizer piece'. It's the same philosophy this board equates to the usage of 2-6th round picks. (speaking to that, love the note a team executive had on that 'who says no' article, where he says something along the lines of 'if you're adding a late round pick, you're not offering enough.'). You'd be looking at someone like Mark Jankowski or someone alike for a Josh Anderson trade. Not that Columbus would do it, but he's not a sweetner in a package where you're moving a 25+ goal centre.

3) From the king of Falacy, I love the hasty generalization of comparing Panarin leaving to exactly what would happen to Monahan should he be separated from Gaudreau. "The Whole League Knows it" is sophomoric type of rhetoric and doesn't even deserve an acknowledgement; in short: You have no idea what the league thinks.

4) Cam Atkinson nearing 31 years old is not a core piece to any organization outside of Columbus in a rebuild. A 25 year old Sean Monahan would be a core piece on 25+ different clubs in this league regardless of what your beliefs are (lol).

5) I should know never to condescendingly BS... a condescending BSer.

6) You bias pulls you too far in directions. It's easy to tell. I could literally ghost write for you if you wanted. Like, you could take a break from this board, and I could literally put <OKG> before I type something, and I can get you down perfectly if you'd like. There's no fleecing involved. What GM's and Scouts know, for certain, is there's a 25 year old guy, who plays centre, who can score a 25 goals a year given top PP time and minutes, signed at a good cap hit, who could slide into almost any top 6. Just because you have a vision of this guy, doesn't make it scripture across the board.

The best part of this, the true magic, is you're literally talking to the guy who wanted nothing to do with drafting Sean Monahan on this board. The one who took all the shit in the world back in 2013 here because this guy was a DND for me, and the person who has been probable the most critical about the guy over the past 6-7 years. Somehow, somehow you've upstaged me; because I can at least put my bias at the door to understand the business part of this league.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That trade feels like a favour for good ol Kenny like the Talbot trade and Sather.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Well it's 4:15 am est, just woke up for work. Recapped the night in hockey.
I still don't know what the Flames are going to do.
Our schedule is not very favorable this week. Boston, Nashville, Tampa, Florida back to back.
Good luck with that. If it's Edmonton, Vegas, or Vancouver they go 3-1-1 if it's us we'll probably go 0-3-1. But of course I can't predict the future, maybe the Flames will surprise me and play a great road trip. Been pretty decent on the road lately. Last night even though we got 2 points wasn't a very convincing win.

Anyways everyone enjoy the trade deadline, I'll be refreshing twitter all day at work. It's going to be an interesting day. Will it shape our future? Will it change our season? Will it just be the same old, same old.
I don't know, I think something has to give.

Cheers, have a great Monday.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It has become buyer's market. bT waited to long. Don't expect any selling now...expect some garbage adds to push for the playoffs.

Can't blame him. He has to believe in the team he built even if they are bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad