Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I was saying we didn't need both those guys.

Lyon starter, Sandstrom or Ustimenko backup in LHV.

But, hey, a 20 year old starting goalie in the NHL - betcha you were on board with that. :rolleyes:

Hart was one of the top goalie prospects to come out of the CHL in a decade.
Ustimenko hadn't played above the MHL.
Bit of a difference.

Even Fedotov should play another year or two in the KHL.
Ersson needs more time in the SHL.
Tomek is 23, so a jump to the AHL might be in order after his bounceback season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I was saying we didn't need both those guys.

Lyon starter, Sandstrom or Ustimenko backup in LHV.

But, hey, a 20 year old starting goalie in the NHL - betcha you were on board with that. :rolleyes:

Hart was given a chance to develop in the AHL first. And as I said in September, Hart is way ahead of Sandstrom. Sandstrom, not Ustimenko, was the guy people wanted as the Phantoms backup instead of Berube, but the reality is he has been a bad ECHL backup this season.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Hart was given a chance to develop in the AHL first. And as I said in September, Hart is way ahead of Sandstrom. Sandstrom, not Ustimenko, was the guy people wanted as the Phantoms backup instead of Berube, but the reality is he has been a bad ECHL backup this season.

Sure, they could have done that as well - Lyon and Sandstrom (who is 23 and has played in the SHL) in LHV, and Ustimenko in Reading.

I honestly think they got Berube more because of the goaltending fiasco the previous year than anything else.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Hart was one of the top goalie prospects to come out of the CHL in a decade.
Ustimenko hadn't played above the MHL.
Bit of a difference.

Even Fedotov should play another year or two in the KHL.
Ersson needs more time in the SHL.
Tomek is 23, so a jump to the AHL might be in order after his bounceback season.

You gotta wonder if Lyon re-ups for next year, or if he feels he's got a better shot at an NHL career elsewhere.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think it turned out that they handled it perfectly.

Two young-20s goalies making their North American debuts get to share time & work on their games in a lower pressure environment.

One of them excels after his first month, & ultimately earns time in the AHL for the last 6 weeks of the season. So they jettison their veteran #4. The other, Sandstrom, struggles, & they make out by not having relied on him to be higher in the depth chart than he was ready for. Now he’ll get a longer run of starts in the last month or so to see if he can get on a roll. He already has upped his save % of late.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
B7E96E7E-37C9-4FF3-99DC-823EB82369E4.jpeg

Reactions: flyersfan187

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So "independent of Nolan" means Carter to Philly - C4. Shame we won't have him tonight to play in Columbus. That would have got the BJ-lovers extra riled up. :laugh:

You gotta wonder if Lyon re-ups for next year, or if he feels he's got a better shot at an NHL career elsewhere.

I'd say it's more likely that Fletcher that will be the one who's ready to move on.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
So "independent of Nolan" means Carter to Philly - C4. Shame we won't have him tonight to play in Columbus. That would have got the BJ lovers extra riled up. :laugh:

I'd say it's more likely that Fletcher that will be the one who's ready to move on.

I agree, with the caveat that the Flyers will potentially need to find two goaltenders in the offseason.

One to replace Elliott if they decide to move on from him, and one to replace Lyon if he's out as well. My guess would be they want at least one journeyman veteran in the AHL.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I really don’t think there would be that much hate for Carter if he wasn’t a Flyer before. He is still a solid two way player that can play center or wing and would only be here for one more season. At 50% for 2 or so million isn’t a bad deal for a player like him. He does not block Frost either because Carter can go to wing. Look at Kovy since he left the Kings and Carter should be cheap to get. If he costs too much then I wouldn’t do it but if you can get him at 50% for a decent deal then I’d do it every day. Strength down the middle is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad