Trade Deadline thread (new title to the former ‘is Jarmo done’ thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Boy are we in for a rough couple years. I’m not as high as others are on JKs drafting, we have zero high end prospects and I’m not seeing anything in the pipeline that’s going to turn into that late round gem. There’s really no reason to keep Laine if there’s interest in him, he needs a supporting cast and we flat out don’t have it.

And we can have all the cap in the world, but as a team that not many of importance want to come to, it’s not going to do us much good.

I would still count Foudy, Texier, and Bemstrom as prospects, and Tarasov, Marchenko, Chinakhov and Voronkov all seem to be developing swimmingly. But I agree, there is obviously a hole in the organization with the real top end prospects but two/three first round picks will help with that. That hole exists mostly due to four consecutive playoff finishes with buying at previous deadlines, it just seemed like we would be able to ride success and growth another couple years.

If you’re looking for reasons for optimism after a dreadful month, as far as the next couple years go, I think the $29M in cap space should help, as well as the first time in a looong time that this organization has had zero albatross contracts. The only dead dollars you got from buyouts will be Wennberg’s 400-800K and the kind of bad contracts on the roster are Harrington’s and Kukan’s which are in the 1.5M range for short term. We’ve been fighting very bad cap situations since Umberger was on payroll, and we are nearly clear from that for the first time in a decade.

Reactions: LJ7201

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Wasn't really sure where to put this, because this is clearly not something that'll be an issue until this summer at earliest, and next summer at the latest, but I saw this in the mains and think it might be worth passing along to those who don't wander to other boards.

In this clip above, Kypreos is saying he's heard from a few people around the league that Werenski's end goal is to be a Red Wing. That's really all there is to the clip regarding Werenski, but MacLean insinuates he heard that he believes Seth Jones will stay here, or at least has a very good chance to.

I don't know how much stock there is to either bit of "news" but I figured it was important enough to pass along so people don't get blindsided.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Wasn't really sure where to put this, because this is clearly not something that'll be an issue until this summer at earliest, and next summer at the latest, but I saw this in the mains and think it might be worth passing along to those who don't wander to other boards.

In this clip above, Kypreos is saying he's heard from a few people around the league that Werenski's end goal is to be a Red Wing. That's really all there is to the clip regarding Werenski, but MacLean insinuates he heard that he believes Seth Jones will stay here, or at least has a very good chance to.

I don't know how much stock there is to either bit of "news" but I figured it was important enough to pass along so people don't get blindsided.

Same with Jones, sit him down July 1 and find out what he wants and don’t end the meeting without a contract extension or deciding to trade him.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I would still count Foudy, Texier, and Bemstrom as prospects, and Tarasov, Marchenko, Chinakhov and Voronkov all seem to be developing swimmingly. But I agree, there is obviously a hole in the organization with the real top end prospects but two/three first round picks will help with that. That hole exists mostly due to four consecutive playoff finishes with buying at previous deadlines, it just seemed like we would be able to ride success and growth another couple years.

If you’re looking for reasons for optimism after a dreadful month, as far as the next couple years go, I think the $29M in cap space should help, as well as the first time in a looong time that this organization has had zero albatross contracts. The only dead dollars you got from buyouts will be Wennberg’s 400-800K and the kind of bad contracts on the roster are Harrington’s and Kukan’s which are in the 1.5M range for short term. We’ve been fighting very bad cap situations since Umberger was on payroll, and we are nearly clear from that for the first time in a decade.
But again, that cap room is going to do us little good when impact players don’t want to come here. This team needs to build from within which is why I still think going all in 19 was a bad idea. For a team that can’t attract top free agents, those draft picks are crucial

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
IF Werenski is bound and determined to be a RW what would it take for you to trade him to the Wings this upcoming off season?

I'd consider Mantha and next year's first (non-protected) plus a 2nd from this year's collection ( they have 3). Detroit really sucks and they're not trading Larkin so this is all I could come up with.

My preference is to keep him (and Jones) but if he is set on leaving when he can then AMF.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Aside from Werenski having a shoulder injury that required surgery, now this abdominal hernia , sounds like a good plan to move him this summer for a #1c . I’ve always got the sense Jones likes it here from comments his mom makes .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aside from Werenski having a shoulder injury that required surgery, now this abdominal hernia , sounds like a good plan to move him this summer for a #1c . I’ve always got the sense Jones likes it here from comments his mom makes .

Yes, trading a player who could be seen as damaged goods based on a potentially nothing rumor sounds like a recipe for success.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Approximately zero.

I mean people can post rumors if they want (with appropriate disclaimers) but Kypreos and Maclean are so far from the scene you might as well ask a random at the bar what he thinks will happen down the line.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
IF Werenski is bound and determined to be a RW what would it take for you to trade him to the Wings this upcoming off season?

I want to see Werenski signed. Even more than Jones. That said, here is what I would want.

Moritz Seider and a first.

Then maybe flip Peeke for a comparable left D. (Should be somewhat easy to find to trading partner since we are trading away a right D.)

Resign MDZ.

I think we’ll lose a forward over Kukan. Based on recent play.

Early 20s defensive left D from Peeke trade - Jones
Gav - Seider
MDZ / Kukan / Harrington

Maybe resign Lehtonen if he is willing. And slot him in where he fits.

I’d assume we aren’t likely to make the playoffs next year and would be work toward improving for 22-23. That means letting Seider and the guy in the Peeke trade play. And if we suck and end up with a top 5 draft pick in 2022, I am ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad