Trade Deadline thread (new title to the former ‘is Jarmo done’ thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The CBJ are “uneasy” about Elvis becoming a star? That sounds like some big bullshit to me...

Really bizarre if true. This is the same franchise that has an embarrassing Napoleon complex and created a slogan/marketing campaign like a jilted lover ("Out of our blue...") when guys exercised their right to leave in free agency, but they're also afraid of the guy who has the Columbus skyline on his pads and calls the fifth line his "family" because he might become too big of a star... :laugh:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Maybe Elvis is kinda a dick?

I guess it's possible. That sure seems unlikely based on what we know about him, and he has the tendency to be overly very hard on himself/supportive of his teammates in interviews (even when I think there are times he shouldn't be). And not that I think there's much to this - I think it's more coincidence than anything - but the team generally seems to play better when Elvis is in net.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think Elvis is slightly better (based on both conventional and advanced stats) although, weirdly, I think Korpi "looks" better in net (from the sense that he seems more composed and looks like he tracks pucks better). But the stats for two seasons now (again both conventional and advanced) say Elvis is better, and I think Elvis on his A game > Korpi on his A game.

With that said, you can't really "go wrong" with either. The trade should probably be determined on a number of factors such as return, finances, etc etc. I think both goalies are are reasonably close to equal, though. BUT with that said...

Not everyone here might agree with me on this, but the reason I watch sports is to be entertained, and for that reason I'd rather keep Elvis (and here's the catch/where people might disagree...) even if he was slightly worse (and again, I don't think he is, as I think he's slightly better than Korpi). I'm not saying I'd rather Elvis if Korpi was noticeably/significantly better (which I don't think anyone besides bus would argue) but even if Korpi is slightly better, I'd still rather Elvis because he's more fun, and I watch sports for enjoyment/entertainment. Would I want a slightly worse doctor if I liked him more? No. Would I like a slightly worse senator if he was more personable? No. Would I want a slightly worse athlete on my favorite team if he's more fun/entertaining? Sure! That's what I feel like here.

Entertainment puts butts in seats.

Reactions: Long Live Lyle

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
It could mean a many things. It could mean that he is a dick, it could just be Porty BS. It could mean they are afraid he could be a head case and will be pain to resign when his next contract is up. (Not the one he is one, the one he would sign next year.) I wouldn't read to much into this right now.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It’s called fearing success.

I can't imagine Montreal was scared if Patrick Roy got too popular or if NJ was concerned of Martin Brodeur became too good.

So what if Elvis became a big star? Isn't that a good problem to have?

Additionally, we lost Panarin because Columbus wasn't a big enough stage for him. Are people now scared that Elvis would become "too big" for Columbus?
It’s called fearing success.

I can't imagine Montreal was scared if Patrick Roy got too popular or if NJ was concerned of Martin Brodeur became too good.

So what if Elvis became a big star? Isn't that a good problem to have?

Additionally, we lost Panarin because Columbus wasn't a big enough stage for him. Are people now scared that Elvis would become "too big" for Columbus?
All I’m saying is that Porty better be misquoted here if he’s saying the blue jackets may keep Korpi because they are worried Elvis will become too big of a star . You want a goalie like that . All too often , Korpi gets scored on early , and you get games like last night . If they are ok with that , they all need replaced

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Even if we get a high draft pick, what is the deal with the draft? Central Scouting Bureau is MIA. I have no idea who is any good. What good is having a top 10 pick or additional 1st round picks if nobody knows who to take?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Even if we get a high draft pick, what is the deal with the draft? Central Scouting Bureau is MIA. I have no idea who is any good. What good is having a top 10 pick or additional 1st round picks if nobody knows who to take?
IIRC draft isn't until next year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

it’s the most unknown draft ever. The kids aren’t playing (mostly) due to covid so they all basically lost a year of development except for the European kids and the NCAA athletes. It’s going to be a massive question mark

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
it’s the most unknown draft ever. The kids aren’t playing (mostly) due to covid so they all basically lost a year of development except for the European kids and the NCAA athletes. It’s going to be a massive question mark
It’s going to be more of a grab bag than usual which makes late first round picks and second round picks increases the chance of hitting it big with these picks.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s going to be more of a grab bag than usual which makes late first round picks and second round picks increases the chance of hitting it big with these picks.

Yeah I keep hearing people say that this year's picks ought to be deferred to next year because the draft is even more of a crapshoot this year. I think you are closer to the mark, Moe. If you've got some later 1sts and you think you're good at this drafting thing, then this is the best situation.

Fewer games would work to your advantage if you are actually good at drafting. Jarmo's last 2 1st round picks (Foudy and Chinakhov) were late risers that he felt he had to take in the 1st round because they were playing better closer to the draft. Maybe this year he can actually stay ahead of the market.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The CBJ have been better at drafting Europeans than other teams. Is that a blessing or a curse this year? Without much going on in North America, maybe more teams are focusing on Europe this season.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think the league should have some kind draft showcase tourney or something for the kids that haven't played a whole lot this year outside of their control.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
I think the league should have some kind draft showcase tourney or something for the kids that haven't played a whole lot this year outside of their control.
What that would really help I do not know.
This year will be a real lottery, what ever anybody do.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Yes a real lottery draft, that is just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad