Trade Deadline thread (new title to the former ‘is Jarmo done’ thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I think there are two options:

1: Get the Eichel or some other playmaker center soon as possible

2: Trade Laine

Laine is not gonna stay if he can't play with some talent
I think trade Laine and then get Eichel. Better to build around play drivers than fairly one dimensional players.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think trade Laine and then get Eichel. Better to build around play drivers than fairly one dimensional players.
According such a logic, Washington had to trade 22-year-old Ovechkin for Malkin.
Patrik needs time to get used to not so much Torts` system as much as what Torts wants to make of him, a complex player that will be an effective on the all zone every minute, and not just be a one dimensional player. He has talent for it. If Zdeno Chara can he can too. And I know Zdeno (he is Slovak just like me), I know what he was and how he worked out. By the way, Torts said Patrick had to learn to be a professional.

Here is an article about it about his educational process by Torts (I was pleasantly suprised)

Patrik Laine was completely surpries - John Tortorella now downloads a mute prediction about Laine`s future for the entire Finnish people

P.S. I never thought I will defend Laine, he was one dimensional, bold guy for me, and he won`t never change it. I was mistake :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine isn’t Ovechkin. A better comparison would be a 22 year old Phil Kessel or 22 year old Nick Backstrom?
And Eichel isn`t Malkin. Btw Torts not so only sad that, quoted:

Laine an uncut diamond that returns from a desire to get developed.

and

he has all the abilities to fight for the Hart Trophy win sometimes.

there`re very interesting things in this article and when Torts said it... . You know Torts, it`s a man... "what in the heart, on the tongue"

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Unfortunately, as of now, Laine is a complementary piece, not a play driver like Panarin was. I would do a lot of things to make Laine-Eichel a thing here though. Especially if we could make that happen without giving up Werenski, Jones, or Bjork. Any combination of any other asset is fair game in my mind.

Texier + Korpi/Elvis + Marchenko/Chinakhov + a couple 1sts? I don't think I'd hesitate on that, but maybe I'm overreacting to a need.

Reactions: CPTN71 and 6zag

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Unfortunately, as of now, Laine is a complementary piece, not a play driver like Panarin was. I would do a lot of things to make Laine-Eichel a thing here though. Especially if we could make that happen without giving up Werenski, Jones, or Bjork. Any combination of any other asset is fair game in my mind.

Texier + Korpi/Elvis + Marchenko/Chinakhov + a couple 1sts? I don't think I'd hesitate on that, but maybe I'm overreacting to a need.

I'd do it. Don't know if Buffalo would. Depends on how much they believe they have to start all over again.

Reactions: 6zag

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The total value doesn't seem out of line for Eichel.

My only hesitation is that 2022 1st round pick. That could be a very good player if the Jackets stink. Are we assured that they won't be that bad? I really don't know what to expect from this team even with Eichel included, I'd want the pick to be top 3 protected. In the end I'll say yes to that deal just because I think we are at an inflection point here where we have to take a risk. Go big or go home.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The total value doesn't seem out of line for Eichel.

My only hesitation is that 2022 1st round pick. That could be a very good player if the Jackets stink. Are we assured that they won't be that bad? I really don't know what to expect from this team even with Eichel included, I'd want the pick to be top 3 protected. In the end I'll say yes to that deal just because I think we are at an inflection point here where we have to take a risk. Go big or go home.
I agree. I'm also not that worried about being bad, at least not that year where it would matter in terms of the pick.

Laine-Eichel-Atkinson
Nyquist-Roslovic-Bjorkstrand
Domi-Jenner-Foudy
Foligno-Stenlund-Bemstrom

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-XXX
XXX-Peeke

Filling out the defense would be a must, but I don't think this is a lineup you lose much with. Especially if we hit on a post-Torts coach, assuming it is indeed his last year.

Reactions: majormajor

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
yes it is.

It’s a bunch of maybes and draft picks. Hell even the goalies are maybes

LA and NYR blow by us with offers if this is all we swing with
I agree. Eichel will bring a massive return to Buffalo if he gets traded, even if he asks for it in public. Players like him simply are not available.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
yes it is.

It’s a bunch of maybes and draft picks. Hell even the goalies are maybes

LA and NYR blow by us with offers if this is all we swing with

You are probably right but if Buffalo is really going to blow it up they may not necessarily want top drawer expensive talent who probably wouldn't be happy in a rebuild.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Eichel is a very good player but he's not McDavid, hell even a player of that caliber can't make the team not suck. We can absolutely suck with Eichel and there's no way in hell do I give up this team's first round pick based off what I've seen this season. Obviously 1 for 1 you'd do it but 2/3 top prospects and a first? Yea I'll pass. Especially since Marchenko looks like the real deal, I'm fine with trading Chinakhov but and even a deal around Werenski but let's keep the minimum offensive talents that we do have. And of course the elephant in the room; would Jack Eichel be happy in Columbus?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Eichel is a very good player but he's not McDavid, hell even a player of that caliber can't make the team not suck. We can absolutely suck with Eichel and there's no way in hell do I give up this team's first round pick based off what I've seen this season. Obviously 1 for 1 you'd do it but 2/3 top prospects and a first? Yea I'll pass. Especially since Marchenko looks like the real deal, I'm fine with trading Chinakhov but and even a deal around Werenski but let's keep the minimum offensive talents that we do have. And of course the elephant in the room; would Jack Eichel be happy in Columbus?

Wait, you're more open to trading Werenski than trading a first round pick in a bad draft and/or Marchenko?

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Wait, you're more open to trading Werenski than trading a first round pick in a bad draft and/or Marchenko?
No I'm against trading Marchenko Chinakhov Texier and 1st vs a package around Werenski. We need to keep our offensive talents and develop them. All of them in a trade for one player who may or may not like Columbus is a no go for me.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
No I'm against trading Marchenko Chinakhov Texier and 1st vs a package around Werenski. We need to keep our offensive talents and develop them. All of them in a trade for one player who may or may not like Columbus is a no go for me.

At the end of the day you’re hoping two of those players add up to Eichel’s point total. If Buffalo only wants our prospects and Texier, I’m taking it and running without looking back.

Eichel Laine Jones and Werenski? That’s a cup winning core

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
At the end of the day you’re hoping two of those players add up to Eichel’s point total. If Buffalo only wants our prospects and Texier, I’m taking it and running without looking back.

Eichel Laine Jones and Werenski? That’s a cup winning core
A good core that still lacks high end talent, I'm not convinced either Laine or Jack can be the main piece to a Stanley Cup team. Maybe Eichel more than Laine, but Laine didn't cost the farm. The reason you don't do that trade is that it leaves your prospect pool completely dry and it wouldn't make up a Cup contender. Buf is plenty awful with Eichel on their team, he's a great player and a player you want but there's a ton of question marks on on how he fits in etc. Honestly, the "go for it all" trades haven't exactly played out well for us so far. Plus if he doesn't like it here and he wants out, who knows what the return will be. I much rather trade similar cap, especially considering we don't know if Werenski or Jones are staying long term.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A good core that still lacks high end talent, I'm not convinced either Laine or Jack can be the main piece to a Stanley Cup team. Maybe Eichel more than Laine, but Laine didn't cost the farm. The reason you don't do that trade is that it leaves your prospect pool completely dry and it wouldn't make up a Cup contender. Buf is plenty awful with Eichel on their team, he's a great player and a player you want but there's a ton of question marks on on how he fits in etc. Honestly, the "go for it all" trades haven't exactly played out well for us so far. Plus if he doesn't like it here and he wants out, who knows what the return will be. I much rather trade similar cap, especially considering we don't know if Werenski or Jones are staying long term.

I think Eichel-Laine-Jones-Werenski could be a cup winning core. Not so much that they can do it by themselves but if the depth shows up and the goalie gets hot, then those guys could be the elite core of a cup winner. I'd jump all over that opportunity.

In any case I don't think our prospects have that much trade value so it's purely a hypothetical argument.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Jack Eichel and Laine would be in contention for the best line in hockey. I don’t care who the other winger is. Eichel is a top 10-15 player in the world

Reactions: Cowumbus

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Jack Eichel and Laine would be in contention for the best line in hockey. I don’t care who the other winger is. Eichel is a top 10-15 player in the world
It's less about Eichel and more about can Laine bring it every shift to get this franchise to win a Cup along with other pieces falling in to place. I just have a hard time believing we are serious Cup Contenders if we trade for Jack Eichel. That being said, I'd love to have him on the team, just not sure we're the team to beat.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

5v5? No. Not unless they really click with someone like Bjorkstrand or another strong 5v5 winger. That will be more important than Laine who has never been an elite guy at 5v5. But it should be a pretty good line and the PP could be off the charts.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
5v5? No. Not unless they really click with someone like Bjorkstrand or another strong 5v5 winger. That will be more important than Laine who has never been an elite guy at 5v5. But it should be a pretty good line and the PP could be off the charts.

5on5, 4on5, or pond hockey. Nobody is stopping that duo. It would be this generations Ovechkin and Backstrom

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio

CBJ does that in a millisecond.

no way Buffalo considers a deal without Werenski or Jones coming back though imo.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
If you can get Eichel without Z or Jones you do it. You can put Jenner with Eichel and Laine. He makes space and battles in corners doesnt matter what he can do with puck. Next seasons lineup could be

Jenner - Eichel - Laine
Cam - Roslovic - Bjorky
Gus - Domi - Foligno
Foudy - Nash - Robinson

Jones - Z
Gavrikov - Carlsson
Kukan - MDZ?

Elvis/Korpi

That looks truly contender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad