Trade Deadline thread (new title to the former ‘is Jarmo done’ thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I hope a center. Our best center is.... Roslovic. Nothing against Jack but if a player who played the most matches in NHL as a winger is our best center.... .

But as they say, if you want something good, you have to give something good. And we have to big deal only Laine and Werensky with Jones. Well, I would not like to give, figuratively speaking, half of the team for one player.

IMHO we could try for Paul Stastny. Patrik had very good chemistry with him plus he`s good in defense and his FO% is 52,45 in this season. Although I doubt in this trade.

Btw, J.T. Miller is from Ohio and have an excelent FO%, 55,65%. But ... .

Or move Laine to center we have experience in this. :sarcasm: :DD

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Don’t really know what type of deal that would be coming. It’s clearly a centers issue, which don’t get traded often.

probably means Torts. But again I don’t think it’s worth it if you’re just making Shaw or Larsen An interim.

It definitely makes sense, we don't know what mentally is holding this team back but there's potentially good things to happen by firing Torts. Not because he's a bad coach but there's potentially mental locks in place for some players when he is the coach. A new coach could provide a clean slate for a lot of players and that could help a lot. I have little to no faith that Torts can turn this ship around, another trade isn't it with the same coach. Have to move on.

Reactions: DJA

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It definitely makes sense, we don't know what mentally is holding this team back but there's potentially good things to happen by firing Torts. Not because he's a bad coach but there's potentially mental locks in place for some players when he is the coach. A new coach could provide a clean slate for a lot of players and that could help a lot. I have little to no faith that Torts can turn this ship around, another trade isn't it with the same coach. Have to move on.

Nothing changes with them as an interim. Its the same guys that are "mentally locking up" the players. Torts is the main coach but hes not the only one.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

This is one I'd explore claiming. RW is a position of need all the sudden with Bemstrom not developing and he can score. We'd need to shed some salary somehow and I doubt we do it, but I'd think on this one

Reactions: Easternbull

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Nothing changes with them as an interim. Its the same guys that are "mentally locking up" the players. Torts is the main coach but hes not the only one.
Yea not necessarily. No one knows for sure what will happen but Torts most likely needs to go. The team isn't reacting and is just getting worse.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Right now the confidence of both Tex and Domi is shot. Both are thought to be important players for this team. Before making “let’s try this” trades, I want to see what this team can do under new coaching, whether that’s this season or next.

Now if we are talking about trading Savard or Nash (who I’m ok with a 4C), that’s fine - they’d be minor deals. But short of packing Z or Jones, there’s no quality center walking through the trade door.

Reactions: EspenK

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If I would advice somebody there`re Adam Ružička and Martin Pospíšil . I would like to see Erik Černák here but I doubt Tampa will trade him. IMHO Adam would be better center from Laine although he is still young. I knwo him very good.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Right now the confidence of both Tex and Domi is shot. Both are thought to be important players for this team. Before making “let’s try this” trades, I want to see what this team can do under new coaching, whether that’s this season or next.

Now if we are talking about trading Savard or Nash (who I’m ok with a 4C), that’s fine - they’d be minor deals. But short of packing Z or Jones, there’s no quality center walking through the trade door.
I doubt that the new coach will teach the players to take the puck. As for Tex, he was transferred to the center and it takes time to become full-fledged. Unfortunately, we have a young team, with only two classic centers. So I don't see the point in changing the coach.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Not a big fan of trades made out of desperation.

If Jarmo does make big moves this year, I don't know that I necessarily like what that says about the future of the team.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Some other ways to get a quality center that don't involve trading Z or Jones or anything costly:

1) Pay up in free agency for Danault or RNH.

2) Trade for an older center with a hefty contract. Mikael Backlund is really good.

All three of those guys I listed are outstanding defensively and can play with any level of talent, which is pretty much all we need right now. We don't have one center that can do that.

Henrique is a guy that could do a lot for us, though Anaheim would have to eat on his deal. Eric Staal, Mikael Granlund, and Erik Haula are all likely available as cheap rentals. Those three aren't great but they'd make a big difference in Columbus.

I agree that it is time for a new coach, but I'd be getting a center either way. I'm not confident that this young cast of centers can do it on their own. They need some sheltering.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Seems that everybody around here has everything figured out, they just have different ideas on what the problem or solutions actually are.

All of this will be forgotten around game 3-4 in the playoffs, as usual.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Seems that everybody around here has everything figured out, they just have different ideas on what the problem or solutions actually are.

All of this will be forgotten around game 3-4 in the playoffs, as usual.

I would agree, we've definitely had a similar convo like this before. And we had nearly the same exact record at this point last season.

But the team is much worse. Last year's team was just in a shooting funk. It was a fundamentally solid team that could defend and play in the right end of the rink at least half of the time. We're now just straight up bad.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Some other ways to get a quality center that don't involve trading Z or Jones or anything costly:

1) Pay up in free agency for Danault or RNH.

2) Trade for an older center with a hefty contract. Mikael Backlund is really good.

All three of those guys I listed are outstanding defensively and can play with any level of talent, which is pretty much all we need right now. We don't have one center that can do that.

Henrique is a guy that could do a lot for us, though Anaheim would have to eat on his deal. Eric Staal, Mikael Granlund, and Erik Haula are all likely available as cheap rentals. Those three aren't great but they'd make a big difference in Columbus.

I agree that it is time for a new coach, but I'd be getting a center either way. I'm not confident that this young cast of centers can do it on their own. They need some sheltering.

Danault is good but we can't have massive expectations for him. He's playing like garbage this year (offensively). I'd take him but on a reasonable deal. A good 3C

Yes on RNH. Our #1 priority if he makes market.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Danault is good but we can't have massive expectations for him. He's playing like garbage this year (offensively). I'd take him but on a reasonable deal. A good 3C

Yes on RNH. Our #1 priority if he makes market.

I'd still throw money at him but funny enough RNH is just not scoring at 5v5 despite playing with the best player on the planet. At least he's the defensive conscience there and is great on the PP. Danault is not a PP guy, but you put him with scorers at 5v5, he'll get some assists. He's still pushing play forward remarkably well but his scoring is down because Gallagher and Tatar aren't finishing as well. I'd call him a good 2C and he'd be 1C on CBJ.

Danault and Backlund, and sort of RNH too, are the kind of guys that don't do a whole lot of offense on their own. But they facilitate play really well. They're great defensively, then they make good plays to get the puck into the attacking zone, and get the puck on to the sticks of the shooters. That's all we need. The Jackets have snipers. If you get 10-15 shots per game from Laine, Bjorkstrand, and Atkinson, then you should score a decent amount of goals. It's just a matter of getting them in those positions.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'd still throw money at him but funny enough RNH is just not scoring at 5v5 despite playing with the best player on the planet. At least he's the defensive conscience there and is great on the PP. Danault is not a PP guy, but you put him with scorers at 5v5, he'll get some assists. He's still pushing play forward remarkably well but his scoring is down because Gallagher and Tatar aren't finishing as well. I'd call him a good 2C and he'd be 1C on CBJ.

Danault and Backlund, and sort of RNH too, are the kind of guys that don't do a whole lot of offense on their own. But they facilitate play really well. They're great defensively, then they make good plays to get the puck into the attacking zone, and get the puck on to the sticks of the shooters. That's all we need. The Jackets have snipers. If you get 10-15 shots per game from Laine, Bjorkstrand, and Atkinson, then you should score a decent amount of goals. It's just a matter of getting them in those positions.

The "dangerous" part is we're still going to try to develop Roslovic and Texier as centers (I think). So if we pick up two guys either via trade or UFA, then they're relegated to wing or 3C and 4C. That's not ideal.

If we pick up one, then you're back to relying on one of them to improve rapidly enough to be a 2C. Roslovic has had the most success, but is starting to revert back to Winnipeg Jack. Texier is invisible and relegated to basically Riley Nash duty. It's a big risk. Especially if you're looking to win, which I believe we are in order to keep Laine, Z, and Jones.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The "dangerous" part is we're still going to try to develop Roslovic and Texier as centers (I think). So if we pick up two guys either via trade or UFA, then they're relegated to wing or 3C and 4C. That's not ideal.

If we pick up one, then you're back to relying on one of them to improve rapidly enough to be a 2C. Roslovic has had the most success, but is starting to revert back to Winnipeg Jack. Texier is invisible and relegated to basically Riley Nash duty. It's a big risk. Especially if you're looking to win, which I believe we are in order to keep Laine, Z, and Jones.

I think you pick up one.

RNH/Backlund/Danault
Roslovic
Texier
Stenlund/veteran C

That looks much better to me. It's better for the young C's development for them to be sheltered somewhat and get easier jobs. It's less for Roslovic to focus on and I think he'll score a decent amount as 2C. Or maybe Tex will win that job, who knows.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think you pick up one.

RNH/Backlund/Danault
Roslovic
Texier
Stenlund/veteran C

That looks much better to me. It's better for the young C's development for them to be sheltered somewhat and get easier jobs. It's less for Roslovic to focus on and I think he'll score a decent amount as 2C. Or maybe Tex will win that job, who knows.

I think we can both agree that, aside from the contracts of some studs coming up, the development of Roslovic, Texier, and ability to pick up a top 6 center is imperative to the success of the team in the short and long term.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For added context here -

RNH is asking for $7m from Edmonton and so far they've said no, they want him closer to $6m. I think there's a good chance they will come to terms and he won't make it to market.

Montreal offered Danault $5m x 6 and he turned it down. That is some scary term, and given that he isn't scoring much, perhaps he'll cave a bit and take the deal, if the offer still stands. But he also is adamant that he wants to play with the best wingers, and not be a 3C, which is not really Montreal's long term plan. They want Suzuki and Kotkaniemi to push ahead of Danault. So there is a good chance he makes it to market, and if he wants to play where he is most needed, I think I know a place.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
RNH or Danault is our 1C? Can we skip that moment? If we want to go somewhere we need real 1C not Danault or RNH. They are great players but tell me what was the year when Stanley cup winners didnt have superstar 1C? If we arent targeting for Stanley cup why are we playing?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
RNH or Danault is our 1C? Can we skip that moment? If we want to go somewhere we need real 1C not Danault or RNH. They are great players but tell me what was the year when Stanley cup winners didnt have superstar 1C? If we arent targeting for Stanley cup why are we playing?

Stanley what? At this point I'd settle for a team that is not an eyesore to watch.

The hope would be that with some sheltering that Roslovic and Texier could take a step, and then maybe you end up in a Blues type of situation where you win with two or three strong centers rather than an elite center.

Though if you have a better suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Reactions: I3LI3

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Good center...if I'm thinking about it...it's beautiful but where we could find him? Maybe it would be better to return Domi on the center and find a good wing. Max couldn't forget to play a hockey. Maybe Dadonov or Puljujarvi. Yes, Jesse has problems but he could return his conditions with Laine. It seems that he and Patrik played together. Bjorkstrand played good with Atkinson and Roslovic when they played together one game. Or to Tex, they have good chemistry.

For example

Laine-Domi-Puljujarvi
Foligno-Roslovic-Atkinson
Jenner-Texier-Bjorkstrand

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Good center...if I'm thinking about it...it's beautiful but where we could find him? Maybe it would be better to return Domi on the center and find a good wing. Max couldn't forget to play a hockey. Maybe Dadonov or Puljujarvi. Yes, Jesse has problems but he could return his conditions with Laine. It seems that he and Patrik played together. Bjorkstrand played good with Atkinson and Roslovic when they played together one game. Or to Tex, they have good chemistry.

For example

Laine-Domi-Puljujarvi
Foligno-Roslovic-Atkinson
Jenner-Texier-Bjorkstrand

Seems like you haven't followed Oilers at all. Jesse is a beast this season. No way they'd trade him.

Reactions: majormajor

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Stanley what? At this point I'd settle for a team that is not an eyesore to watch.

The hope would be that with some sheltering that Roslovic and Texier could take a step, and then maybe you end up in a Blues type of situation where you win with two or three strong centers rather than an elite center.

Though if you have a better suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

I agree with you on other parts, but Ryan O'Reilly is definitely Elite and won both Selke and Conn Smythe that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad