Trade Deadline Thread (March 3)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Chychrun two great games to start his “I finally got off the Coyotes“ career.

i hate Armstrong and I need Adams to get a top 4 D in the off-season. No excuses. No more f***ing around.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

i hate Armstrong and I need Adams to get a top 4 D in the off-season. No excuses. No more f***ing around.
It’s more precise than just a top 4 D. He needs a top 4 D who will stay at home and allow Power to roam.

I wanted Ekholm because he’s exactly this type of defenseman. Fabbro is also this type of defenseman.

Reactions: Irie and Zman5778

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If I’m moving Kulich or Savoie we’re talking about a deal for a Jiricek or similar high end D with the same amount of team control. Players that aren’t available. Because Savoie and Kulich aren’t either.

I’ve been saying this….you dont move them for short term fixes which players with only 3 yrs or less are. You move them for players around the same age/ similar team control.
The thing is - we ARE eventually going to have to move at least one or more of our young forwards - because there simply won't be room on the roster for all of them. As @Chainshot keeps referring to - this type of trade doesn't happen very often. However one team having such a rich but lopsided prospect pool doesn't often happen either.

It's why i was annoyed at moving Bloom. I had a guy like him rated higher than most simply because he had a clearer path to the NHL.

We get frustrated & poke fun at Adams' 'blocking' comments when it comes to our young goalies - but that is exactly the situation our young offensively minded forwards are in.

yes they will but don’t need to do it now when true value isn’t realized or people on here woukd move them because they didn’t like the player or want a particular player in a short sighted deal.

come summers 2025-2027 you are going to need to make decisions on who to keep and who to trade factoring in cap constraints

when making the trades at s9me point you don’t fight tooth and nail or fair value vs making a trade that makes your team overall better like say trading a potential top line winger for a D that might be more of a defense first mid pair type who is solid defensively with size. On the surface most woukd say winger is clearly worth more but if you fight over true value the deal doesn’t get done.
Dorion mentioned the deal had broken off but resumed Monday at a different price point. It's possible they didn't go back to Buffalo to see what they were still willing to move.

would you go back with your tail between your legs admitting fault…..he wasn’t coming back to buffalo.

ottawa on the other hand is far more desperate for a top 3 Dman Which can shelter their younger D.

ottawa has sacrificed 7 and 37, 1st this year, 2nd next year, and a future 2nd. To me this is more of a panic move. See what happens with them.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If I were Armstrong I would call Buffalo/LA back one last time and say, I'm ready to accept another offer. If you are ready to add Savoie/Byfield to the package then we can complete the trade instead.

He's not going to tell them what else he has and ask them if they are willing to beat it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s more precise than just a top 4 D. He needs a top 4 D who will stay at home and allow Power to roam.

I wanted Ekholm because he’s exactly this type of defenseman. Fabbro is also this type of defenseman.
I don’t fully agree with this. Power’s partner needs to be more solid in his own end than Joker…obviously. But I want a guy who can make a good pass and take quality shots. …Also unlike Joker.

One of Power’s gifts is finding space without the puck in the offensive zone. Joker doesn’t have a f***ing clue what to do except throw week shots at goal or pass up the wall. Some offensive creativity and IQ on Power’s side will do a lot of good.

Jumping into the play like Power is only so effective if his partner can’t get him the puck or take dangerous shots with space.

Just sticking a right handed Samuelsson there and saying I’ll cover you isn’t the same as it is with Dahlin….who is a rush D who dishes. Power is most dangerous without the puck getting to space. He needs someone who can recognize that and has the ability to utilize him.

Joker does none of that. He’s a terrible partner and Power has to generate anything successful that they do. And he’s handicapped by not having a partner who can get him the puck when he is open in space to shoot or dish. That’s what I want with Power.

The stay at home guy is for Dahlin who is the wheel and deal and try things that make people look foolish on the rush. That’s not Power. You want someone to play with Power…not let him be a one man show. He’s not. Most of what Power is great at on offense is being completely wasted right now. Except when he gets minutes with Dahlin rarely. Who can get him the puck in space.

I want a two way guy with an active stick coming back but offensive instincts going forward. Like the one Ottawa just got

Last edited:

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I don’t fully agree with this. Power’s partner needs to be more solid in his own end than Joker…obviously. But I want a guy who can make a good pass and take quality shots. …Also unlike Joker.

One of Power’s gifts is finding space without the puck in the offensive zone. Joker doesn’t have a f***ing clue what to do except throw week shots at goal or pass up the wall. Some offensive creativity and IQ on Power’s side will do a lot of good.

Jumping into the play like Power is only so effective if his partner can’t get him the puck or take dangerous shots with space.

Just sticking a right handed Samuelsson there and saying I’ll cover you isn’t the same as it is with Dahlin….who is a rush D who dishes. Power is most dangerous without the puck getting to space. He needs someone who can recognize that and has the ability to utilize him.

Joker does none of that. He’s a terrible partner and Power has to generate anything successful that they do. And he’s handicapped by not having a partner who can get him the puck when he is open in space to shoot or dish. That’s what I want with Power.

The stay at home guy is for Dahlin who is the wheel and deal and try things that make people look foolish on the rush. That’s not Power. You want someone to play with Power…not let him be a one man show. He’s not. Most of what Power is great at on offense is being completely wasted right now. Except when he gets minutes with Dahlin rarely. Who can get him the puck in space.

I want a two way guy with an active stick coming back but offensive instincts going forward. Like the one Ottawa just got
Almost 100% agree with you here. Power is not the same kind of offensive dman that Dahlin is. He is much more of a rounded 2-way player, who is an elite passer, and apparently parttime power forward. :) He needs another good well rounded 2-way player to match. Get that and the pair will be a force.

The hard part here, is that we DO have both of them. So getting that 2-way piece in a player that doesn't expect power play time is hard. My feeling is that we really are looking for a very specific guy. Its going to be tough to find. Thats why I wanted Ekholm, because he could have locked it down for the next three years and been a veteran on ice teacher, while we bought time to find that right guy, and when you did, Ekholm would be traded or go to the third line. Now there is just this continued pressure on them to find that guy still.

Reactions: Zman5778

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I think you could be on to something with this. But OTOH i don't think that getting him another Samuelsson clone to play with would exactly be detrimental either. It would be a huge step forward from where we're at today.

None of us should be too disappointed about missing on Ekholm either. He's almost the perfect player but looking at what Edmonton gave up - I wouldn't have enjoyed watching us attempt to beat that.

Reactions: Zman5778

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

Agree.

Short-term it'd be nice to have someone who could help clear the front of the net for Power, but long term you'd want someone playing those minutes who can also move the puck.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
KA has had two trade deadlines, one draft and a free agency to find Power's partner.

You need to know that he already found Power's forever partner.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

He has fit right in there, but 90% here or more were not giving up Kulich, or Ostlund.

I will be anxious to see if Johnson signs and if he can contribute.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Marek and Friedman delve into things that didn't happen -

No mention of anything with Buffalo other than the drubbing of Tampa over the weekend. I have 10 minutes left.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
32 Thoughts:

They stated that a team made a legitimate offer for Mario Ferraro. I wonder if Adams inquired. I know some here wanted to trade for him.

They didn't get into who, but yeah, he's a vibes guy who is low-key okay for that LD3/depth/PK role.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I think we need a bit more than a depth/PK guy at D long term. We need someone who can play bigger minutes with Power and/or Dahlin, help clear the front of the net and move the puck reliably.
He has fit right in there, but 90% here or more were not giving up Kulich, or Ostlund.

I will be anxious to see if Johnson signs and if he can contribute.
Ostlund is my favorite prospect and I would have done it, but I get why people feel differently.

I think signing Johnson is low-key kind of a big deal now. I still believe he is going to be a good nhl defensemen with his skating and ability to move the puck, even though he's not a big point producer. He's up to 190 lbs (according to the Gophers website) after starting out at 170. If they can get him signed it'll be good to have someone with at least the potential to be a top 4 guy in the future and further depth for now. Still a few weeks before that can happen though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think we need a bit more than a depth/PK guy at D long term. We need someone who can play bigger minutes with Power and/or Dahlin, help clear the front of the net and move the puck reliably.

Ostlund is my favorite prospect and I would have done it, but I get why people feel differently.

I think signing Johnson is low-key kind of a big deal now. I still believe he is going to be a good nhl defensemen with his skating and ability to move the puck, even though he's not a big point producer. He's up to 190 lbs (according to the Gophers website) after starting out at 170. If they can get him signed it'll be good to have someone with at least the potential to be a top 4 guy in the future and further depth for now. Still a few weeks before that can happen though.

Minnesota could still be playing until April 8th (the day of the Frozen Four final). It's going to be very late.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
For anyone who has negotiated large deals before, you know that you can hit a situation where talks just stall. You have one side that is trying to be a strong negotiator by entrenching themselves and not lowering their price. Then you have the other side who are trying to make it work but they aren't going to negotiate against themselves. When this happens talks stall and there isn't an easy way around it, especially when you have alternatives to trying to work through those stalled talks.

Everything we have read makes me believe that is what happened with Chychrun. BA sets a price, KA makes an offer, now in normal negotations BA slightly lowers his price as they work toward the middle somewhere. But when BA doesn't lower his price, KA can't just go back and keep raising his offer, negotiating against himself. That would show him to be a weak negotiator.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For anyone who has negotiated large deals before, you know that you can hit a situation where talks just stall. You have one side that is trying to be a strong negotiator by entrenching themselves and not lowering their price. Then you have the other side who are trying to make it work but they aren't going to negotiate against themselves. When this happens talks stall and there isn't an easy way around it, especially when you have alternatives to trying to work through those stalled talks.

Everything we have read makes me believe that is what happened with Chychrun. BA sets a price, KA makes an offer, now in normal negotations BA slightly lowers his price as they work toward the middle somewhere. But when BA doesn't lower his price, KA can't just go back and keep raising his offer, negotiating against himself. That would show him to be a weak negotiator.

There was something out of Ottawa that said there was no deal and then on Monday Armstrong re-engaged them at a lowered ask and they came to a deal. It's possible Armstrong never came back to Buffalo since they had moved off from their request. The family thing in Ottawa is also an underlying part of this too - it may be that Chychrun had more destination input and that was important to getting the deal done.

Reactions: Irie and BUCKSHOT

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

There was something out of Ottawa that said there was no deal and then on Monday Armstrong re-engaged them at a lowered ask and they came to a deal. It's possible Armstrong never came back to Buffalo since they had moved off from their request. The family thing in Ottawa is also an underlying part of this too - it may be that Chychrun had more destination input and that was important to getting the deal done.
The scenario that people are painting is very possibly true, but it's also true that it wasn't impossible for Adams to close the deal, so I'm not inclined on letting him off the hook too much. If he had enough urgency, he could have gotten a hold of them and made an offer that would have gotten the deal done, and it doesn't seem like it would have been too extreme of an overpay based on what they got from Ottawa.

But at this point, whatever... On to the next opportunity. Hope he can make something happen in the summer.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The scenario that people are painting is very possibly true, but it's also true that it wasn't impossible for Adams to close the deal, so I'm not inclined on letting him off the hook too much. If he had enough urgency, he could have gotten a hold of them and made an offer that would have gotten the deal done, and it doesn't seem like it would have been too extreme of an overpay based on what they got from Ottawa.

But at this point, whatever... On to the next opportunity. Hope he can make something happen in the summer.

Don't confuse my commentary with absolving him. I want him to straddle the line between involved and sleeping in front of someone's condo so they are the first person other than family some of these GM's see to get to the next level. :D

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Sammy Day 2 Day. I now lower my trade deadline grade to a B-.

Could have gotten another D, a rental type, for depth

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I would have liked Chychrun, but I also want KA to be a strong negotiator. I am not saying I am happy he missed on chych, but if he missed because he wouldn't grovel to BA, that makes the loss hurt less to me. We will end up being in very bad shape if KA is soft as butter when it comes to negotiating.

Reactions: michaelsaas

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3