Trade Deadline Thread (March 3)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ottawa got better value last offseason and Buffalo has better in house talent coming up

feels kinda good to hear stevie say that

I bet Peterka is a guy Yzerman would move mountains for
Well…tell him we don’t need mountains we need defense lol

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Ottawa got better value last offseason and Buffalo has better in house talent coming up

feels kinda good to hear stevie say that

I bet Peterka is a guy Yzerman would move mountains for
Peterka hasn't had a great year, but I think most would still expect him to be a really good player for us. Stevie Y should be jealous.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If I’m moving Kulich or Savoie we’re talking about a deal for a Jiricek or similar high end D with the same amount of team control. Players that aren’t available. Because Savoie and Kulich aren’t either.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wonder how much of it is who you’re trading with. When Meier went to Jersey the first thing I think is about what they couldn’t get from them. Nemec/Hughes/Holtz/Casey. Chychrun comes here for what Ottawa paid and the first thing theyre thinking is about is Savoie/Kulich/Levi/Ostlund.

With Ottawa it’s more…well…we got their first!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm mildly amused that the Habs didn't get anything for the husks of Sean Monahan or Joel Edmundson.

Also that Kovacevic has kept up his defensive impacts as an enormous third pairing RHD all year. I'm intrigued, still. Like how Valimaki looked like he could be good and was for Arizona... need to find some value defense pickups this summer if they aren't going to close the deal on bigger movers.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
So it sounds like the price for Chychrun was higher for Buffalo than it was for Ottawa. Adams straight up admitted it was true.

People are becoming afraid of Buffalo, folks. GMs are taking less in trades because they don’t want to contribute to the ascendant force, a beast of unspeakable xGF abilities coming out of its shell in western ny. They don’t want blood on their hands and I don’t blame them one bit.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
If I’m moving Kulich or Savoie we’re talking about a deal for a Jiricek or similar high end D with the same amount of team control. Players that aren’t available. Because Savoie and Kulich aren’t either.
Jiricek is in another universe easily top drafted player not in nhl right now, maybe Cooley comes close.

Reactions: thewookie1

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Is adding a piece like Chychrun to Ottawa going to increase it's perceived sale value? The higher the price Ottawa is sold for the more valuable it makes all of the franchises. They're one of the bottom teams and can only put upward pressure on prices. Maybe I'm overthinking but he sure went for a lot less than was rumoured.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The thing is - we ARE eventually going to have to move at least one or more of our young forwards - because there simply won't be room on the roster for all of them. As @Chainshot keeps referring to - this type of trade doesn't happen very often. However one team having such a rich but lopsided prospect pool doesn't often happen either.

It's why i was annoyed at moving Bloom. I had a guy like him rated higher than most simply because he had a clearer path to the NHL.

We get frustrated & poke fun at Adams' 'blocking' comments when it comes to our young goalies - but that is exactly the situation our young offensively minded forwards are in.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
My honest guess is Adams is referring to Ottawa’s offer as a 1st and 2 2nds with a long shot condition to become two 1sts being much less than the seeming demand from us being Kulich/Savoie our 1st and likely a 2nd. Buffalo’s 1st is nearly the same as Ottawa’s so they cancel out. Would you trade Kulich/Savoie and a 2nd for 2 2nds with 1 having a long shot chance of being a 1st? I highly doubt it.

Hell my guess is we offered our slightly protected 1st, a 2nd this year and next year. With even a lesser prospect involved. Again better than Ottawa’s offer

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
My honest guess is Adams is referring to Ottawa’s offer as a 1st and 2 2nds with a long shot condition to become two 1sts being much less than the seeming demand from us being Kulich/Savoie our 1st and likely a 2nd. Buffalo’s 1st is nearly the same as Ottawa’s so they cancel out. Would you trade Kulich/Savoie and a 2nd for 2 2nds with 1 having a long shot chance of being a 1st? I highly doubt it.

Hell my guess is we offered our slightly protected 1st, a 2nd this year and next year. With even a lesser prospect involved. Again better than Ottawa’s offer
If we made an offer better thsn Ottawa's - I'm pretty sure that we would have got him. It would make no sense for Armstrong to cut off his nose to spite his face.

My guess is that Adams was keeping his '23 R1 off the table as well as Savoie/Kulich (or putting very restrictive conditions on it) and/or offering lesser prospects which Armstrong wasn't interested in.

Either way it's water under the bridge now. But extremely frustrating. This really seemed like the perfect opportunity as i doubt there will be anyone as good as Chychrun available in the offseason.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If we made an offer better thsn Ottawa's - I'm pretty sure that we would have got him. It would make no sense for Armstrong to cut off his nose to spite his face.

My guess is that Adams was keeping his '23 R1 off the table as well as Savoie/Kulich (or putting very restrictive conditions on it) and/or offering lesser prospects which Armstrong wasn't interested in.

Either way it's water under the bridge now. But extremely frustrating. This really seemed like the perfect opportunity as i doubt there will be anyone as good as Chychrun available in the offseason.
In Armstrong’s Merek interview, he said he sees a huge drop off at pick 16 (or close, I forget the exact number) and Ottawa’s first had an almost-certainty of being in that range. He specifically says that was the main attraction of their offer that no one else could beat.

Since Buffalo’s pick had a probability of being outside that range, he couldn’t risk it and seems to have insisted on one of last year’s firsts from us instead of this year’s.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Ask CBJ fans if they'll give you Jiricek for Kulich. Shoot ask them about Kulich AND Savoie for Jiricek. Not the same level of prospect.

And that's kind of my point. Big, mobile D who can put up points and play D are extremely valuable. Most teams have a Savoie caliber F prospect.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Yeah. The only way I'd consider including Savoie or Kulich in a trade for Chychrun is if we could somehow get Chychrun to guarantee under penalty of *insert here* that he would sign an 8-year extension for no more than $6M AAV at the first chance he could. Then I'd do it.
I thinks this idea of signing guys to long term extensions is way overblown. You want cost certainty to a point. You also want flexibility as well. Long term deals all seem to come with NTC NMC protection preventing you from being able to adjust. Paying fair value is not a crime. If say Chychrun crapped the bed or wasn’t a good fit, you could easily flip in a year or two and likely recover what you paid. Players like Dahlin and maybe Power you would lock up. McDavid Mac, Makar etc. not everyone needs to be on a lifer deal. 2 to 3 three years is enough cost certainty to allow you adjust your roster as need be and keep valuable players around.

Reactions: start winnin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
In Armstrong’s Merek interview, he said he sees a huge drop off at pick 16 (or close, I forget the exact number) and Ottawa’s first had an almost-certainty of being in that range. He specifically says that was the main attraction of their offer that no one else could beat.

Since Buffalo’s pick had a probability of being outside that range, he couldn’t risk it and seems to have insisted on one of last year’s firsts from us instead of this year’s.
I really don't see a huge difference in value between our respective picks.

Both teams are currently level on points. We also have two of our best players out injured & a very tough schedule ahead.

Ask CBJ fans if they'll give you Jiricek for Kulich. Shoot ask them about Kulich AND Savoie for Jiricek. Not the same level of prospect.

And that's kind of my point. Big, mobile D who can put up points and play D are extremely valuable. Most teams have a Savoie caliber F prospect.
Yep. In hindsight if you know you can get Kulich with that Vegas pick - you easily offer up the first two picks to someone & secure either Jiricek or Nemec. Oh well...

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

Adams said our offer was more valuable than theirs so I would conclude our offer was better than Ottawa.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dorion mentioned the deal had broken off but resumed Monday at a different price point. It's possible they didn't go back to Buffalo to see what they were still willing to move.
I mean they only had 18 months. What can one man do. Armstrong is supposed to make TWO phone calls now? Do you think long distance is just free?

• Haha
Reactions: Zman5778

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Dorion mentioned the deal had broken off but resumed Monday at a different price point. It's possible they didn't go back to Buffalo to see what they were still willing to move.

Someone else - Dreger maybe? - said Buffalo told Arizona to shop around and get back to them if they didn't find a deal they liked, presumably because Buffalo already maxed out their offer.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad