Trade Deadline Thread (March 3)

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I felt like this could be a fun thread with the trade deadline about a month away. Who on this team would you want us to upgrade in the next month (trade for someone to kick them out of the lineup, not necessarily to take their line spot). So not an off-season trade, but an in-season trade this year?

LD: Samuelsson, Power, Bryson

RD: Dahlin, Joker, Boosh

Depth D: Clague

Centers: Thompson, Cozens, Krebs, Jost

Wingers: Skinner, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn, Mitts, Olofssson, Girgs, Okposo

Depth Forward: Asplund

Goalies: UPL, Comrie, Anderson

--------------------

For me on defense, I’d take a bottom four defensemen to push Bryson to the depth spot. Bryson has been playing really good, but the more talent the better. If not, I’d take a vet depth defensemen. Clague has been pretty good, but I’d like a vet depth guy over clague (though Bryson would be a great #7)

For forwards, I don't many spots at all. i wouldn’t hate a trade for a bottom six center to push Jost to a depth spot (and asplund to Rochester). Jost has been playing great, but I wouldn’t hate a better player, and plus, jost would be an awesome #13. At minimum, I’d trades for a depth piece to get asplund to Rochester

Last edited:
Reactions: enthusiast

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I felt like this could be a fun thread with the trade deadline about a month ago. Who on this team would you want us to upgrade in the next month (trade for someone to kick them out of the lineup, not necessarily to take their line spot). So not long term, but an in-season trade this year?

LD: Samuelsson, Power, Bryson

RD: Dahlin, Joker, Boosh

Depth D: Clague

Centers: Thompson, Cozens, Krebs, Jost

Wingers: Skinner, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn, Mitts, Olofssson, Girgs, Okposo

Depth Forward: Asplund

Goalies: UPL, Comrie, Anderson

--------------------

I honestly don't see many spots. I don't think the team is interested in replacing joker or Boosh, so if you are acquiring a D, I think it is to push bryson out of the lineup. But the other thing to think about with D is we may be saving a spot for ryan johnson to slip into.

For forwards, I don't see any of the wingers getting pushed out of the lineup (quinn and peterka are the only options with sending them to rochester), and for center it is just Jost who has been playing good.

For me, I'd like to see a depth D to replace Clague (who has played good), and perhaps a bottom six center to push Jost to the depth spot and to push asplund to rochester.
Push Jost to the depth spot? Thats crazy. Jost is the glue between Mitts and Olofsson.

Defenseman to push Bryson out of the lineup please.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Push Jost to the depth spot? Thats crazy. Jost is the glue between Mitts and Olofsson.

Defenseman to push Bryson out of the lineup please.

I’m not demanding it, but I wouldn’t complain. I agree it would be tough pushing him out of the lineup, but there are better players and he’d be a perfect depth forward.

As good as jost has been, he doesn’t really produce. 12 points in 31 games with us, 1 point in his last 5 games.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Not really interested in disruptive rentals or tweaks to the roster, though if you could push Clague or Bryson to 7th/8th, I wouldn't hate it. Status quo is OK with me, TBH.

Other than that, you have to think long term with this roster, and if there is a home run available like Meier, then disruption may be necessary for long-term aspriations. That may mean moving out some current roster pieces.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I’m not demanding it, but I wouldn’t complain. I agree it would be tough pushing him out of the lineup, but there are better players and he’d be a perfect depth forward.

As good as jost has been, he doesn’t really produce. 12 points in 31 games with us, 1 point in his last 5 games.
The issue I see is Peterka and Quinn not Jost but there is not much we can do there.

Getting a top 4 like Benning from San Jose would be a dream.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I don’t see what a lot of people see in Joker. I’d go with Joker and Bryson.

Meier is not a necessity by any means but if we negotiated a reasonable contract pre trade, I don’t hate the idea.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don’t see what a lot of people see in Joker.
It's hard to say, but he's playing really good, consistent hockey right now. He'll be 24 in June, so maybe not much upside to him left, but, frankly he's a perfect 4-6th Dman. I don't know why you would mess with that Power/Joker pairing, it's been solid.

Do you throw Cychrun in the top 4? Well, yes, then you push Joker to third pairing and things look quite nice (though not sure how you find your top 3 guys PP time).

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

He's a bottom 6 player. He shouldn't be producing like a top 6. 12 points in 31 games is fine for a 3rd line center

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
All the players have their strengths and flaws, but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I can't identify any individual whose dogging it, or seems unhappy with their role, or who is so lacking in talent that their teammates feel that he is holding the team back.

Better depth is a need, but carrying 3G on the team makes it hard to add someone without sending out a piece.

When mostly healthy, the team is 26-11-4. That's on pace for 110+ points. Do you really want to do much messing around with that in-season? Let 'em play and see where improvements can be made in the off-season.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
In season the most I'd like to do at this point is a depth forward and an addition for the bottom pairing to push Bryson out.

If we are gonna make a big move I'd like to do it in the off-season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Meier is the only in season move id probably make right now.

I was big on Chychrun but Jokers play has toned that down considerably

I'd also upgrade Asplund or bottom pair D. No rentals..

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Adams needs to upgrade defense eventually. Sure we can say they're "fine" but could for sure use an upgrade.. I would like to add a Murphy/Benning/Fabbro type of dman but since Marek said teams aren't going to pay the price AZ is asking for Chychrun, I am wondering at what cost can Adams get him at?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Some forwards with comparable production to Jost with the Sabres:
Mika Zibanejad
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Jonathan Huberdeau
Jack Roslovic

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Top 4 lhd to put on the bottom pair and honestly take on some low term contracts like 1-4 years dumps for picks not saying futures is a need or want but its something we should look into just to get more assets for future moves

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Top 4 lhd to put on the bottom pair and honestly take on some low term contracts like 1-4 years dumps for picks not saying futures is a need or want but its something we should look into just to get more assets for future moves
4 year cap dumps.?????

Reactions: Jacob582

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Some forwards with comparable production to Jost with the Sabres:
Mika Zibanejad
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Jonathan Huberdeau
Jack Roslovic

Do you see Jost as a long term center on this team? Or even a center going into next season. I really like him, but I don’t think I do

But curious, how does Jost have comparable production to PPG players? Is this something about production per time and pretending jost production would just increase in a linear fashion with increased time?

Reactions: DJN21

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I can’t believe a person exists who can watch Jost save Mittelstadt and Olofsson from the void and actively work to remove him from the lineup.

im stunned.

its stunning.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I can’t believe a person exists who can watch Jost save Mittelstadt and Olofsson from the void and actively work to remove him from the lineup.

im stunned.

its stunning.

Yes, saying I “wouldn’t hate” a trade for a better player than jost is totally the same as actively wanting something. As usual, you’re making something up and then having a wild overreaction to the thing you made up

I don’t expect honest posts from you and you constantly deliver.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still looking for an improvement on the blueline to better slot what they have and balance their minutes a bit more. Being non-rental, longer term and mid-pairing capable would be best. (And that may also be hard

That they've gotten better play out of Bryson and Clague has plugged in well to fill-in with both Power and Dahlin is cool but that still makes me nervous and would be the place I would like to see them address.

Forwards... things are working. It's hard to look at modest moves and see something that has me thinking they should break up a particular line since three of them are churning along well and the other is having some spotty moments of glory. Swapping Asplund out when he's not been playing much at all is more of a deck chair shuffle. I would rather they hold off there until summer.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
not enough on the pulse for minor upgrades available (not sure its worth it unless they find someone who doesn't offset the chemistry.)

I would do Meier, he brings an element that is lacking on this roster, more sandpaper/2way/plus scoring
not sure about the implementation tough and if its a year or 2 too early
just if the price is not too steep

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

im stunned.

its stunning.
you must be talking about early january Mitts, I thought he played well even wo Jost yesterday

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Rentals I don't think make much sense because even if there's something out there that would help us, I'd rather have our current guys get the opportunity and experience of trying to fill that role in games that matter. And I'd rather keep the assets. Next year will probably be a different story.

For me, the only real long term trade I'd be looking for is another top 4d, preferably a righty, but either way works. I dont look at it like replacing one guy over another necessarily. If you bring in a good player it just creates better options. Could be pushing Sammy down to get more point production and possession from that top pair, while simultaneously upgrading Bryson with someone who is better defensively and more physical (Sammy). Maybe it's just pushing Joki out of the top 4, either way it sets us up well for the present and future.

This doesn't need to happen this season though. I just think they're going to have to do it eventually, so you might as well be looking and ready to punch at all times.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Bryson then Jost but what I'm really looking for is more Joker's to rotate around the bottom 3. And with the kids line being such an unreliable point producer, Jost needs to be someone better. Love Jost next year on the 4th line, this year hes the legs that line needs but not the hands. However, Jost is not an active detriment to anyone, he makes Mitts and VO a little more consistent on a shift by shift basis. Bryson is purposeless, he adds nothing beyond being a body while other guys are resting.

Hot take Peterka or Quinn. This is the Timo Meier argument. I'd only consider it for an NHL player with equivalent reasonable expectations (ie quinn/peterka in a Meier deal). While far from old the top line is older than everyone else and it wouldn't be a bad thing to open the window a season early. Power is here and ready, Cozens may still be a year or 2 from his potential but is still at 2nd line center level already. The roster outside of 5/6/7 D is kinda ready to compete. If any of the goalies hit a stretch of consistent play, they'll be competitive with any top tier team. Would rather it be Peterka but if I'm "insert other GM" I'd want the better player over other considerations.

Roll out of the trade deadline with:
Skinner-Thomspon-Tuck
Quinn-Cozens-Meier
Mitts-ROR-VO
with Jost able to sub in throughout the lineup or to rotate the fourth line.
Dahlin-sammy
power-bewsh
McCabe-Joker
Clague

Theoretically you aren't ever afraid of getting stuck on the ice with anyone. In fact the Thompson line might be the one most in need of sheltering and every pairing can respectfully be on the ice with any forward line without the fear of the apocalypse. That roster is a hot goalie away from the ECF.

If it could be done with just this years draft and 1 under 21 player I'd be interested. Not selling out the prospect pool but I'd be willing to cash 1 draft given the contract status and age of the NHL roster. I think there's an opportunity to open the window 2 playoff runs early without shortening the windows length or significantly hampering the organizations ability to keep the window open. 3 1st last year and 4 in the top 60 I think this year. Plenty of high value draft currency that could be used for immediate results.

Just to add there's a world where we finish 7th and get crossed into the Metro's bracket. I like our odds of making a run better playing the canes, rags, and devils than if we had to go through the bruins and lightning.

Reactions: Beerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad