Trade Deadline Thread (March 3)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Defense. Your favorite pending ufa veteran for a 2nd.

Meier if the price is right.
Chychrun if the price is right.

Goaltending, trust the process and stay with UPL/Anderson

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Defense and bottom 6 improvements...But only if they are not rentals and are fair contracts...None of that stinkin' over paying for a player or a contract....I don't care if KA waits till the summer to make any moves.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If Johnson walks we have no one to step into the lineup on defense next year.

Adams has to do something unless he is going to go with Bryson and Clague again.

I think he has to make a move but will it be by the deadline or off season?

Why wait?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The why wait is easy.....don't screw with something that isn't terribly broken. KA will also know if RJ is signing, so he'll have a very firm grasp on where we are.
So you are happy with the Clague and Bryson? If Adams is happy with them playing in playoff games he should be fired immediately. Defenders go down and these are the guys you want stepping in? Clague and Pilut?

If we miss the playoffs and Adams has Bryson and Clague next year you find that acceptable? Your post says you do.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If we get to a point where Buffalo is definitely in the playoffs at the deadline - and I doubt that will be the case - I’d give up a 3rd or a 4th for some a depth skater. Nothing more than that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I felt like this could be a fun thread with the trade deadline about a month away. Who on this team would you want us to upgrade in the next month (trade for someone to kick them out of the lineup, not necessarily to take their line spot). So not an off-season trade, but an in-season trade this year?

LD: Samuelsson, Power, Bryson

RD: Dahlin, Joker, Boosh

Depth D: Clague

Centers: Thompson, Cozens, Krebs, Jost

Wingers: Skinner, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn, Mitts, Olofssson, Girgs, Okposo

Depth Forward: Asplund

Goalies: UPL, Comrie, Anderson

--------------------

For me on defense, I’d take a bottom four defensemen to push Bryson to the depth spot. Bryson has been playing really good, but the more talent the better. If not, I’d take a vet depth defensemen. Clague has been pretty good, but I’d like a vet depth guy over clague (though Bryson would be a great #7)

For forwards, I don't many spots at all. i wouldn’t hate a trade for a bottom six center to push Jost to a depth spot (and asplund to Rochester). Jost has been playing great, but I wouldn’t hate a better player, and plus, jost would be an awesome #13. At minimum, I’d trades for a depth piece to get asplund to Rochester

ehst woukd be needed..a LD who can play 20+ min in a mid pair pushing Power to third pair and limiting his minutes.

if they trade a player for player could affect team chemistry. Same with adding a player.
So you are happy with the Clague and Bryson? If Adams is happy with them playing in playoff games he should be fired immediately. Defenders go down and these are the guys you want stepping in? Clague and Pilut?

If we miss the playoffs and Adams has Bryson and Clague next year you find that acceptable? Your post says you do.

ifm fine with Bryson as a 3rd pair. Is Johnson signed? Did the acquire another D?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I never said that at all, nor did I imply that. In any way. I didn't say KA needs to stand pat next offseason. I implied I am currently in favor of him standing pat UNTIL the offseason.
"Don't screw with something that isn't terribly broken"

Sorry I misinterpreted that then. I my world that means don't do anything.

What are you implying then with that statement? Either you do something or you don't.

That statement doesn't sound like you are implying that you make moves does it?

For me you pull the trigger on a trade that can make your team better. Why would you not?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I can’t believe a person exists who can watch Jost save Mittelstadt and Olofsson from the void and actively work to remove him from the lineup.

im stunned.

its stunning.
Mitts has been good for most of this season, regardless of Jost. 0 puck luck.
That said I'd like to move Okposo out of the lineup some night (rotation with the rookies) and keep Jost in the bottom 6.

My upgrade(s) would be: top 6 winger, top 4 defebseman

My bandaid would be: Asplund out for Puljujärvi.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
The problem with adding a depth forward is it won't cost us a roster player, so we have no room for a move there. Dealing for a depth D allows us to send Clague down and have Bryson be the #7. That's all we can do without having to waive or send down someone who shouldn't be in Rochester

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Clague has been fine

Bryson is the one who needs to be fired into the sun

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If VAN is giving away Myers for free, or a small add I’d love them to take him.

The only way they’re ever getting past Boston would be someone to take care of Pasta or the Rat. And he might be the battle giraffe to do it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Bryson is the one who needs to be fired into the sun

Odd timing for this, given how Bryson has played his best hockey on this road trip and a few games before it.

I've been perfectly content with the Bryson-Boosh pair for the last 2-3 weeks or so.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if we get a LHD that can take Bryson's spot.....but I'm fine leaving it as is for right now.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Odd timing for this, given how Bryson has played his best hockey on this road trip and a few games before it.

I've been perfectly content with the Bryson-Boosh pair for the last 2-3 weeks or so.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if we get a LHD that can take Bryson's spot.....but I'm fine leaving it as is for right now.

Clague has simply been better

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

What are you implying then with that statement? Either you do something or you don't.

For me you pull the trigger on a trade that can make your team better. Why would you not?

Well. His post is in the context of a thread that is EXPLICITLY about the trade deadline and EXPLICITLY not about moves next off-season. So that should be a clue about his opinion not being about next year.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

At this TDL, the players that make the most sense for Buffalo (young, good contract with term, can be long-term addition) may not even be available. The only D-man is Chychrun (trade value is too damn high), and Meier (contract extension might be too high). I don't see the players that make the most sense being traded/signed until the summer.

Edit - guys like Matt Roy, Ryan Graves, Andrew Peeke.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The only way they’re ever getting past Boston would be someone to take care of Pasta or the Rat. And he might be the battle giraffe to do it.

no interest in taking him for free. He’s not the one I see doing that.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Clague has simply been better
With a big caveat--when he was paired with Power.

Bryson has played the majority of his minutes with people not named Power or Dahlin. Clague has spent the majority of his minutes with those two (and specifically Power). Of course the guy who plays with our better D-men looks better. Certainly there is something to be said about the ability to play up the lineup and not be a total liability, but if given the choice between Clague-Boosh and Bryson-Boosh, I'd prefer the latter. I think Clague in that situation shows why he was a tank commander in Montreal.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
ehst woukd be needed..a LD who can play 20+ min in a mid pair pushing Power to third pair and limiting his minutes.

if they trade a player for player could affect team chemistry. Same with adding a player.

ifm fine with Bryson as a 3rd pair. Is Johnson signed? Did the acquire another D?
I understand the benefits of limiting Power but there's also some benefits of keeping him right where he is.

Maybe a better partner might allow for all of those benefits and more. He's better than fine as a 2nd pair and could probably work on overall defense and physicality but you could say that about almost all rookie defensemen. His offensive support and puck moving abilities solidifies him as a top 4 on any team.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I understand the benefits of limiting Power but there's also some benefits of keeping him right where he is.

Maybe a better partner might allow for all of those benefits and more. He's better than fine as a 2nd pair and could probably work on overall defense and physicality but you could say that about almost all rookie defensemen. His offensive support and puck moving abilities solidifies him as a top 4 on any team.

the other option if they sign Johnson is resting him out of games or doing 7D dressed ones

Reactions: Matt Ress

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Why? Dahlin/Joker/Boosh on the right side has been just fine since Joker came back from injury. Right now, I don't see any need to add a RHD in any way.

IMO, the appealing thing about adding a LHD that's better than Bryson is that Bryson has shown that he can play the left or right equally as effectively (when he's on his game, of course). Bryson could become the "super sub" on D.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
no interest in taking him for free. He’s not the one I see doing that.

Why? Dahlin/Joker/Boosh on the right side has been just fine since Joker came back from injury. Right now, I don't see any need to add a RHD in any way.

IMO, the appealing thing about adding a LHD that's better than Bryson is that Bryson has shown that he can play the left or right equally as effectively (when he's on his game, of course). Bryson could become the "super sub" on D.

In such a circumstance id put Dahlin back on the left side.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In such a circumstance id put Dahlin back on the left side.

Why? Dahlin has shown time and again that he's stronger and better playing the left than playing the right. He was that way in the SHL and has shown it often enough in the NHL.

I have zero interest in shifting Dahlin to the left side....it weakens us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad