Trade Deadline Thread (March 3)

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
With a big caveat--when he was paired with Power.

Bryson has played the majority of his minutes with people not named Power or Dahlin. Clague has spent the majority of his minutes with those two (and specifically Power). Of course the guy who plays with our better D-men looks better. Certainly there is something to be said about the ability to play up the lineup and not be a total liability, but if given the choice between Clague-Boosh and Bryson-Boosh, I'd prefer the latter. I think Clague in that situation shows why he was a tank commander in Montreal.

Clague has also been very good with Dahlin

It was only with Bryson/Boosh that Clague struggled. So, why was Clague the one benched?

Clague really surprised me as to how well he plays when he plays with a competent partner. Dahlin has also looked good with Clague as did Power

I understand the benefits of limiting Power but there's also some benefits of keeping him right where he is.

Maybe a better partner might allow for all of those benefits and more. He's better than fine as a 2nd pair and could probably work on overall defense and physicality but you could say that about almost all rookie defensemen. His offensive support and puck moving abilities solidifies him as a top 4 on any team.

why would we put a number 1 defenseman on the third pair?

Power has played like a legit NHL #1 this year (albeit toward the bottom of #1 defensemen). You don't put that type of player on the third pair

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

It was only with Bryson/Boosh that Clague struggled. So, why was Clague the one benched?

Clague really surprised me as to how well he plays when he plays with a competent partner. Dahlin has also looked good with Clague as did Power

Clague stuggled on the third pair. And you are questioning why he isn't playing ahead of Bryson...on the third pair? You yourself answered that. Clague needs a competent partner to look good. Clague has also spent a lot more time with a competent partner this year than Bryson has. So in the current situation, which is "who should play on the third pairing with a lesser partner", Clague's success with Power/Dahlin (and Bryson's lack of ice time with those two) are completely irrelevant.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

why would we put a number 1 defenseman on the third pair?

Power has played like a legit NHL #1 this year (albeit toward the bottom of #1 defensemen). You don't put that type of player on the third pair
Yeah dude that was my point.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Do you see Jost as a long term center on this team? Or even a center going into next season. I really like him, but I don’t think I do

But curious, how does Jost have comparable production to PPG players? Is this something about production per time and pretending jost production would just increase in a linear fashion with increased time?
I'm not pretending anything, Jost's production has been good. He's producing at about a 2nd liner rate and has had good impact on both sides of the puck. Whoever we'd replace him with isn't getting PP to make his counting stats look nicer either.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm not pretending anything, Jost's production has been good. He's producing at about a 2nd liner rate and has had good impact on both sides of the puck. Whoever we'd replace him with isn't getting PP to make his counting stats look nicer either.

I was just asking what you meant by Jost is producing as much as PPG players

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Clague stuggled on the third pair. And you are questioning why he isn't playing ahead of Bryson...on the third pair? You yourself answered that. Clague needs a competent partner to look good. Clague has also spent a lot more time with a competent partner this year than Bryson has. So in the current situation, which is "who should play on the third pairing with a lesser partner", Clague's success with Power/Dahlin (and Bryson's lack of ice time with those two) are completely irrelevant.

It shows Clague is a good compliment to our top 2 defensemen

This is a classic case where the most talented players do not make the best team. Bryson is more talented than Clague. However, Clague playing with Dahlin or Power yields far better results than benching Clague so Bryson can get bottom 6 minutes. We could drop Joker to the bottom pair (or Sammy if he still isn't 100%) and the team would be better for it

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It shows Clague is a good compliment to our top 2 defensemen

This is a classic case where the most talented players do not make the best team. Bryson is more talented than Clague. However, Clague playing with Dahlin or Power yields far better results than benching Clague so Bryson can get bottom 6 minutes. We could drop Joker to the bottom pair (or Sammy if he still isn't 100%) and the team would be better for it
The real conclusion to draw here is that Dahlin and Power are great. That's no reason to saddle one of them with a borderline NHLer when it isn't necessary to.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Similar to Debrincat trade.

A 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd
The only variable I could foresee is if NJ is in on Meier and they are offering an unprotected 1st and Holtz in the deal.

That would require the Sabres to move off of a ADB package of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

It would need to be a 1st + young player that SJ values more than Holtz as the basis of the deal.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
3 pieces only if a contract is in place. Those two, plus a B prospect.
I doubt Adams is willing to part with Quinn or Peterka in a Meier trade.

Those two guys were the gems of Adams' first draft as Sabres GM. I think he views them as untouchable pieces of this team's future.

I have a feeling that Adams initial offer is the ADB package of 1st, 2nd, 3rd with top 3-5 protections. [I have posted previously about why protecting the '23 1st in a Meier deal isn't worth the reduction in trade value so I won't rehash that here]

If Adams doesn't feel like NJ is offering 1st+Holtz (and maybe a little more), I have a feeling that his top end offer for Meier would be '23 1st and 2 '23 2nds. He might be willing to replace one of the '23 2nds with an equivalent prospect like say Kisakov.

But, I would be surprised if Adams were willing to trade away Quinn, Peterka, Rosen, Savoie, Ostlund, or Kulich in the deal.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Those two guys were the gems of Adams' first draft as Sabres GM. I think he views them as untouchable pieces of this team's future.

I have a feeling that Adams initial offer is the ADB package of 1st, 2nd, 3rd with top 3-5 protections. [I have posted previously about why protecting the '23 1st in a Meier deal isn't worth the reduction in trade value so I won't rehash that here]

If Adams doesn't feel like NJ is offering 1st+Holtz (and maybe a little more), I have a feeling that his top end offer for Meier would be '23 1st and 2 '23 2nds. He might be willing to replace one of the '23 2nds with an equivalent prospect like say Kisakov.

But, I would be surprised if Adams were willing to trade away Quinn, Peterka, Rosen, Savoie, Ostlund, or Kulich in the deal.
NJ has to move salary back or have SJ retain up to 50% of Meier's cap hit. I wonder how that plays into any trade talks.

Reactions: Jacob582

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
If Johnson walks we have no one to step into the lineup on defense next year.

Adams has to do something unless he is going to go with Bryson and Clague again.

I think he has to make a move but will it be by the deadline or off season?

Why wait?
I think he waits due to several factors. Firstly, this year is not and has never been about contention. Aside from maybe making a token play-off spot, there really isn't motivation to rock the apple cart at this point. The roster is working as assembled, and with so many young players in the pipeline, there will be very important contractual and financial decisions to be made when contention is the goal.

I do understand the urgency to make the post-season given the drought and all, but for me, I would much rather make the play-offs when they're ready to do something in them as opposed to quickly appearing just to end a streak.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

I'd love to see a swag at a roster in 25-26 with all those prospects in the NHL playing for the Sabres. IMO, they are great assets to have from a strength of value perspective, but you can't build a team just with players like that. I view many of those players as currency to be used to tune this roster with trades.

I was more answering the 'what would it take'. I think an A prospect is certainly a requirement, and I am guessing on the three assets, including a 1st rounder. You never see an all pick trade like that, and protections for top 5 shifts the discussion back to your prospect pool

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think he waits due to several factors. Firstly, this year is not and has never been about contention. Aside from maybe making a token play-off spot, there really isn't motivation to rock the apple cart at this point. The roster is working as assembled, and with so many young players in the pipeline, there will be very important contractual and financial decisions to be made when contention is the goal.

I do understand the urgency to make the post-season given the drought and all, but for me, I would much rather make the play-offs when they're ready to do something in them as opposed to quickly appearing just to end a streak.
The other thing is that Adams has been consistent with his patience message and actions.

I get why so many fans and media want Adams to make a sizable move given all the various factors from the drought to how the team is playing. But, I do think that how they are playing is more likely to give Adams confidence in what they have and reduce the likelihood that he makes a sizable trade.

But, we shall see.

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
The other thing is that Adams has been consistent with his patience message and actions.

I get why so many fans and media want Adams to make a sizable move given all the various factors from the drought to how the team is playing. But, I do think that how they are playing is more likely to give Adams confidence in what they have and reduce the likelihood that he makes a sizable trade.

But, we shall see.
Absolutely agreed. He has preached patience since he arrived and I don't think this group's performance will give him any reason to deviate from that.

I know they have a ton of space but with all of the high-dollar extensions he'll need to give-out, I'm sure he's reticent to give-up the cost-controlled guys when they could be vital during a hoped contending window.

Reactions: Zman5778

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Trade for Meier is probably like 1st, Rosen, 3rd
If Grier accepts that, you wish Isak good luck and see which number Timo wants.
I'd love to see a swag at a roster in 25-26 with all those prospects in the NHL playing for the Sabres. IMO, they are great assets to have from a strength of value perspective, but you can't build a team just with players like that. I view many of those players as currency to be used to tune this roster with trades.

I was more answering the 'what would it take'. I think an A prospect is certainly a requirement, and I am guessing on the three assets, including a 1st rounder. You never see an all pick trade like that, and protections for top 5 shifts the discussion back to your prospect pool
I've done it a few times using capfriendly. Bad news is the Sabres will never fit that many forwards on the team. Good news is that Adams went BPA, so most of these players carry enough value to make viable trades.

I do think Adams will need to make a prospects-for-great NHL player at some point.

But, we shall see.
Or, he could see that the playoffs this season would be a major developmental step for the group. So if he can add in 1-2 players to help get there, without dismantling the NHL roster, I think Adams has to at least consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad