GDT: Trade Deadline Thread - Deadline 3pm EST - C'mon Trades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I dunno. If any of Rielly, Muzz, or Brodie go down I think we're really thin
I think we're in good shape if we make good decisions and don't do something stupid like icing Marincin.

Our D prospects should be good enough to step into a limited role where they get some offensive looks. We have enough capable D to do the defensive heavy lifting if necessary

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm going to guess if Vatanen clears waivers, the Leafs will try to get him at 50% for a throwaway player/prospect.

I think Dubas would probably like to claim Mete as well but I'm not sure he fits our current motto or needs for obvious reasons.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Leafs can't do nothing really. If the plan is to activate Andersen before the playoffs, Leafs need to clear 1.7 million. If not, they have space to add.

Reactions: Rocker13

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont get why there are some frowning on the Foligno deal. This is exactly the type of player we need to round out our top 9. Unfortunately I dont think Thornton has a place on this team moving forward in the playoffs unless they trade Kerfoot today.

They way I see it our lineup come playoff time will be:

Gally-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Micheyev
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza
Engvall, Thornton

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogo

Campbell
Rittich/Andersen

If they somehow can make another deal where Kerfoot is dealt, that is our lineup moving forward. Nash is the best defensive center in the NHL. He is big, can skate, can check, can PK and can hit. He can provide some sparse offense but that isnt his game. If the Leafs are wanting to be hard to play against, Nash will be in the lineup when he is healthy.

A proposed deal I would love to make is as follows:

Kerfoot, Dermott, Engvall , draft pick

for

Laughton, Gustufsson

Gally-Matthews-Marner
Folgino-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Laughton-Micheyev
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Gustufsson-Bogo

Campbell
Andersen/Rittich

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do not know why people are surprised that Oleksiak went elsewhere. He is a top 6 defenseman (which we don't need) who likely gets a large price in return and we don't have the pieces to add someone like him.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Leafs can't do nothing really. If the plan is to activate Andersen before the playoffs, Leafs need to clear 1.7 million. If not, they have space to add.

Andersen is not being activated before the season. We will keep him on LTIR until regular season is complete. Same with Nash. They currently have 2.1 million to use still and they will use it.

If Andersen cannot come back at all we are covered with Rittich acquisition. Nash was acquired for the playoffs.

The Leafs still have moves to make to clear more cap space. Barabonov, Marincin and Hutch can all be waived to clear an addition 2.5 million if indeed Andersen does come back before. But I dont see it happening.

Reactions: Rocker13

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I do not know why people are surprised that Oleksiak went elsewhere. He is a top 6 defenseman (which we don't need) who likely gets a large price in return and we don't have the pieces to add someone like him.

He played on the Stars in a top 4 role that went to the Cup last year, he would be a great insurance policy against a top 4 injury.

I still hope we add a defenseman of sorts but likely one that isn't going to be expensive for us in terms of assets.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Are people saying they're surprised or are they just disappointed? For me, I'm not at all surprised, we don't have a lot of assets to give anymore and he's a terrific bottom pairing D.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Laffalo, Laughton, or Depth defenseman please!

Like others, I'm already very happy with this deadline so far v

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Are people saying they're surprised or are they just disappointed? For me, I'm not at all surprised, we don't have a lot of assets to give anymore and he's a terrific bottom pairing D.

I mean if they are disappointed then they had some kind of hope that he would be an option.

Made no sense when we have Dermott.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

It hasn't been confirmed by anyone reputable and the former player has no history that I'm aware of, of calling anything.

Reactions: stickty111

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Also, a couple random thoughts.

- I like how Rittich and Nash are both realistically attainable for next year. Rittich should fit into the ~2.5M or less area that we’ll have to find a backup/platoon goalie with Campbell. Nash could be a nice fit on Line 4 for us, and should come cheap.

- The moves so far have confirmed to me that the Leafs will look to move Kerfoot for a draft pick before the expansion draft. I don’t see Kerfoot or Engvall being dealt today, but Kerfoot is for sure a guy that will move pre expansion.

- Due to that, we might also try and move Dermott before expansion as well. Leave Seattle with depth pickings, and get assets for the two guys we can reasonably replace internally (Engvall and Sandin).

I think dealing Kerfoot is a bad idea, he’s probably the most attractive piece to Seattle. If we move Dermott we would have to expose Holl as we need one D that meats the exposed requirements.

Reactions: Leaftors and Cams

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Depth d man will be our next and final move is my guess.

ps: what kind of content is this from TSN? Good lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad