GDT: Trade Deadline Thread - Deadline 3pm EST - C'mon Trades!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kristen Shilton: Kyle Dubas goes deep at trade deadline in Leafs’ bid to win now - TSN.ca

On what made 33-year-old Nick Foligno worth the investment of a first-round draft pick

Number one, you know what you're going to get from Nick every single night. Our expectations are just that he comes in and does everything that he's done in his career. You can rely upon him in terms of his effort level, his work rate and his responsibility defensively. He’s able to play against anybody in the league, able to kill penalties at a high level and most importantly able to make plays when he has the puck. The energy and the grit that he brings to a team is infectious within the group. One of the more important things for us was that the people who were coming into the room were going to be able to fit into what we're doing and become a great part of it and enhance something that we feel is already a really good thing happening and it was all positive on that end with Nick.

On waiting until closer to the deadline this year to make trades compared with seasons past

The way that the team came out of playing poorly there in the early part of March [Toronto earned just one point in seven games from March 4-19; it has since won nine of 10] really made me comfortable with what we have in terms of ability to withstand and deal with times when maybe our form hasn't been the best. The way the locker room operates made me a little bit more comfortable about getting closer to the deadline before we did anything and I just think that the way the group has played this year, that's made me more comfortable with adding pieces which you would commonly refer to as as rentals to our group.

On having so few draft picks over the next two seasons

We're coming out of a draft where we had a surplus of draft picks and I think seeing those players develop through their seasons respectively has been very encouraging for us. That made me a little bit more comfortable. We’ve got more players coming into the system from previous drafts that are going to be over here starting next year, we signed Alex Steeves from Notre Dame a few weeks ago. Given the uncertainty of this draft and the fact that leagues have been going in fits and starts predominantly in North America, I would think that it would make our program a good landing spot for any undrafted players or draft-related free agents as well so we'll shift our focus there.

On finally landing Ben Hutton, a defenceman the Leafs had been eyeing for awhile

In the summer of 2019, he was available when he signed with L.A. We investigated signing him [too]. So Ben had been on our radar. He’s able to play up and down the lineup. Last year with L.A., he had a strong run of games with Drew Doughty and he was able to come in, kill penalties and play that sort of role. We felt in terms of depth, we have a lot of guys that can play on the power play and play more offensive minutes; we just wanted to bolster what we had defensively and we feel that over his career he's done that. I would expect that Ben will compete with the group and, if he wins the spot, that’s great for him and great for our depth.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Maybe it's just me but's gotten pretty hard to root for Rielly this season. Man seems to have thrown away his defensive duties and replaced them with an over-reliance on Brodie. He doesn't have the skating game to outskate his mistakes either. A benching should be in order, but the same could be said for guys like Thornton or even Simmonds who are providing minimal value to the team. Now Rielly isn't a guy that provides minimal value - that offensive game is excellent but even that is being impacted by more and more ill-advised muffins from the point.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Maybe I have fan goggles but I love what the Leafs added - doubly so because they didn’t give up an existing prospect or roster player

Reactions: ACC1224

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
We will never get another power play goal again. Lol. Hopefully they can figure it out before the playoffs or it will be tough.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Scott Laughton Signed for 3 mil x 5. Does anyone know why Kerfoot got more money than Laughton? I thought Laughton looked like clearly the better player at the time of the their respective deals.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Scott Laughton Signed for 3 mil x 5. Does anyone know why Kerfoot got more money than Laughton? I thought Laughton looked like clearly the better player at the time of the their respective deals.

1. Kerfoot signed for less term

2. (And most importantly) Kerfoot signed in a much different financial climate.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
1. Kerfoot signed for less term

2. (And most importantly) Kerfoot signed in a much different financial climate.
1. Should have signed Kerfoot for more term then.
2. It’s not like the Cap has gone down, it just stayed flat.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1. Should have signed Kerfoot for less term then.
2. It’s not like the Cap has gone down, it just stayed flat.

1. He already signed for less term? The term of Kerfoot’s deal isn’t bad? Did you mean sign him to more term? Why would we want that? That’s not a solution lol

2. You understand that contracts signed in the previous climate were taking into consideration that the cap grows at a certain percentage each year. Now, contracts are being signed under the consideration that the cap is staying flat for a couple more seasons. The financial climate has changed. Trying to compare a contract signed prior to that, to a contract signed now, is fairly ignorant to the entire situation, and ignorant of how things actually work.

Reactions: vpasla1

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
1. He already signed for less term? The term of Kerfoot’s deal isn’t bad? Did you mean sign him to more term? Why would we want that? That’s not a solution lol

2. You understand that contracts signed in the previous climate were taking into consideration that the cap grows at a certain percentage each year. Now, contracts are being signed under the consideration that the cap is staying flat for a couple more seasons. The financial climate has changed. Trying to compare a contract signed prior to that, to a contract signed now, is fairly ignorant to the entire situation, and ignorant of how things actually work.
Meant to say more, Alright I guess your right, the Kerfoot contract is fine

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Did Craig button get into a bar fight lol have they even attempted to explain that yet
(stolen from Twitter)

btyACvk.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad