Trade Deadline Thread: Chaos Simmering

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Well every bit count if they want too squeeze Toffoli or Guentzel in
I think it's more so having Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, Lafferty and now Podkolzin down the RW side. In an ideal world, Mikheyev gets thrusted to outer space with assets coming back that could have brought in Duhaime but yeah, the world sucks.

I would have loved Duhaime but he seems like a luxury considering what we need.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I like Sundqvist a lot as a utility forward, has a Penguins connection as well.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I do think that Allvin and JR are kind of galaxy braining the Lindholm situation and getting carried away with that when there have been cheap depth acquisitions that we should have been in on

Maybe. Maybe they're reticent to give up picks in future years, which is why they're focusing on extracting value via Lindholm?

There are a lot of trade candidates left.

I like Sundqvist a lot as a utility forward, has a Penguins connection as well.

Re-Signed with STL.

Reactions: oceanchild

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think it's more so having Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, Lafferty and now Podkolzin down the RW side. In an ideal world, Mikheyev gets thrusted to outer space with assets coming back that could have brought in Duhaime but yeah, the world sucks.

I would have loved Duhaime but he seems like a luxury considering what we need.
Lindholm is also a RW’er if he’s moved to the wing

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Oettinger has been pretty bad this season
i wouldn't just look at save% but maybe you are right as i have only seen Stars a few times this year. He has a .912 career and can be dominant when on his game. I think he's a top5-10 goalie in the league and is still growing at 25.

I honestly dont know shit about goalies technically but he's a stud probably just having a bumpy year

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Lindholm is also a RW’er if he’s moved to the wing
Yup. That's the issue, we have far too many middle 6 wingers that don't drive offense, and on the bottom side of the spectrum, barely have any wingers that can be a pain in the arse like Joshua.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That Sean Walker trade was interesting to me:

I wanted the player here, but was thinking it had to be a 1st + Mikheyev type deal to get done. Something akin to what was rumoured for Tanev. The issue was that PHI has depth at wing and was at $41m in total allocation at forward. Mikheyev also has 2 years left on his deal.

Fast forward and Johansen gets dumped with a 1st for Walker. He's a centre, which they need, but is unlikely to play very much for Torts. Has 1 less year on his deal. Wouldn't they have been better off taking a player that might actually play for Torts, even if they had 1 extra year of salary to factor in? Curious deal for PHI, and curious non-deal for VAN.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I don't really know why. People having some bizarrely unhinged reactions here, and the deadline is still over 24 hours away.

The Canucks have made multiple in-season trades. And large ones. It's not like they've been sitting on the sidelines all season lol. Allvin/JR have made moves to improve. I think they'll still make another medium-ish one.
Just a fan base that’s hungry for success, that felt like we where positioned well to go on a deep run and watched the teams around us improve significantly. The west now has 5 teams that could have an advantage on us via having the better roster. I think. It’s of us have been enjoying the smug satisfaction of feeling like we had the best team.

It’s a natural response

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Sigh, let's try our luck with Duclair and Kunin. Probably wouldn't cost a lot.

Just a fan base that’s hungry for success, that felt like we where positioned well to go on a deep run and watched the teams around us improve significantly. The west now has 5 teams that could have an advantage on us via having the better roster. I think. It’s of us have been enjoying the smug satisfaction of feeling like we had the best team.

It’s a natural response

Adjust expectations...those same 5 teams have gone far in the playoffs recently and have a ton of playoff experience. This spring will be the first taste of playoff action in a legit hostile environment for this core group. They already had the advantage over us.

Reactions: vanuck

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Being forced to trade a 2nd to dump Dickinson and a 3rd to dump Pearson (but get Desmith) certainly hampering our ability to go out there and pay the prices required to add a couple pieces with the confidence that we're not going to be completely devoid of picks year after year. We were super lucky to move Beauvillier without having to pay a 2nd+.

A tough knock-on effect from the previous group.

Like others have pointed out, the team has been insanely active using picks to make long term rentals all throughout the season to address so I don't really get the whinging—I'm sure they are looking at every avenue to improve the team while balancing our mid-term future (something that needs to be kept in mind now that we aren't straight up losing Pettersson this offseason).

At the end of the day, the reality is that only one team's deadline rentals are successful and every single other one is a failure. At best only one of VGK/COL/DAL/VAN's big moves will work.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

I wanted the player here, but was thinking it had to be a 1st + Mikheyev type deal to get done. Something akin to what was rumoured for Tanev. The issue was that PHI has depth at wing and was at $41m in total allocation at forward. Mikheyev also has 2 years left on his deal.

Fast forward and Johansen gets dumped with a 1st for Walker. He's a centre, which they need, but is unlikely to play very much for Torts. Has 1 less year on his deal. Wouldn't they have been better off taking a player that might actually play for Torts, even if they had 1 extra year of salary to factor in? Curious deal for PHI, and curious non-deal for VAN.
I don’t think the management is trying to get rid of Mikheyev

I don’t think the management is trying to acquire another D

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Going to love seeing Dubas screw this up by big braining this
If the Rags are in the max I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion. Drury seems like type who will cave if it’s someone he really wants.

Canes will not

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I wanted the player here, but was thinking it had to be a 1st + Mikheyev type deal to get done. Something akin to what was rumoured for Tanev. The issue was that PHI has depth on wing and was at $41m in total allocation there. Mikheyev also has 2 years left on his deal.

Yeah, that deal was a weird one.

I would have thought Colorado would have had to pay a 1st just to dump Johansen so it was like they got Walker almost for free.

And yeah does feel like we might have missed an opportunity there.

I don’t think we’re looking to add D, though.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Seeing Duhaime go for a late 3rd two years from now to a western rival concerns me quite a bit. He would have been the perfect addition to Tocchet's system.

Reactions: thefeebster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad