Trade Deadline Thread: Chaos Simmering

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Vector said:
How does Guentzel, the most expensive rental ask in some time, discount anything that I said? Canucks have assets to make some moves but in order to make any moves beyond 1.1m they need to generate capspace.

Dubas' insane ask from the Canucks doesn't have anything to do with the other moves that they can do.

If they're seriously chasing Guentzel, they obviously feel they have levers available to open up cap space.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
This teams needs are a top 4 RD and a top 6 scoring winger. I don't see how other teams trading for LD, middle 6 Cs, #7D, and 4th line bruisers has us "missing out".
Again, it's unlikely that they can acquire these pieces without giving up Hoglander or one of the top 3 prospects.

It's also clear they don't want to trade another first, so if you can put together a package of Podkolzin, Raty, and a 2nd or something for a top 6 forward/top 4 D, that "top 6 forward"/"top 4 D" is unlikely to really move the needle anyways.

Adding depth is the most realistic path forward, I think.

Reactions: quat

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Again, it's unlikely that they can acquire these pieces without giving up Hoglander or one of the top 3 prospects.

It's also clear they don't want to trade another first, so if you can put together a package of Podkolzin, Raty, and a 2nd or something for a top 6 forward/top 4 D, that "top 6 forward"/"top 4 D" is unlikely to really move the needle anyways.

Adding depth is the most realistic path forward, I think.
I would just sign someone like Guentzel or Tanev in UFA or have our, you know, two top 10 prospects in the world that slot in perfectly for our positions of need over the next two years.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: quat

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If they're seriously chasing Guentzel, they obviously feel they have levers available to open up cap space.
Elliotte mentioned that the holdup in the Guentzel trade could be related to them needing to move out someone like Smith first in order to retain 50% on Guentzel and take back salary. I do wonder if management would be looking at a Guentzel trade as a way to improv drastically and dump Mikheyev’s contract.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I would just sign someone like Guentzel or Tanev in UFA or have our, you know, two top 10 prospects in the world that slot in perfectly for our positions of need over the next two years.
Agreed at this point. It's clear that there's not a way Guentzel comes here through trade without Hoglander going the other way, and I wouldn't be able to stomach that.

I just want to see grit added. That's really all. Grit that can be responsible defensively, forecheck and play hard. Duhaime would have been really nice.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Eh Hanifin, Henrique and Mittelstadt were the big adds (I guess you could maybe add Tanev). Our big add was Lindholm - unfortunately he hasn't been a fit but no guarantees the new adds for the other teams will gel seamlessly. The rest if just fungible crap that I'm not particularly high on, for me I don't think a guy like Duhaime is even better than Podkolzin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad