Speculation: Trade Deadline Rumors/Speculation Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Thanks, LadyStanley. :) Still amazed that people whined up a storm about that deal.
I don't think people whined about what was given up to acquire Fehr. People complained about the fact that DW acquired a player who, at that time, was playing in the AHL and it took away a spot from our kids.

The complaint at that time was very valid. But with the way Fehr performed, he pretty much won everyone over to the point that most people were ok re-signing him.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Like, I don’t even see an Eric Fehr type 4C on their roster that we would be interested in. Hanzal makes too much money and Faksa would likely hold too much value to them.

We also scouted their AHL team, so it’s possible that they’re more looking to buy from us, but, IDK what they’re in the market for.

Nightmare scenario for who we'd be scouting: Guess who currently is playing for Dallas right now? Our old fan favorite tough guy from the cup run, Roman Polak..... :help:

(I think I just made some alcohol manufacturers a lot of money by bringing that possibility up... :laugh:)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Nightmare scenario for who we'd be scouting: Guess who currently is playing for Dallas right now? Our old fan favorite tough guy from the cup run, Roman Polak..... :help:

(I think I just made some alcohol manufacturers a lot of money by bringing that possibility up... :laugh:)
Honestly, I would not be shocked if we were scouting the Wild and not the Stars. From what I have heard Staal, Coyle and Fehr are all 'available'.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Haha no freaking way. If anything, we'd be looking at the ultimate buy-low on Dallas right now: Valeri Nichushkin.

Think about it. His trade value is absurdly low. Stars need to trade him because if he finishes out the season with Dallas, you have to think he's back to Russia after this season ends. So you have this uber-talented guy who is DIRT cheap trade-value wise. Realistically, can the Stars get better than a 4th round pick from any team in the league? Doug loves his bargains, and for me personally, if we're getting a guy having a crap season, I'd rather buy low on Nich than trade for Brassard.

So the Sharks go in for a buy low. And it turns out, he just needed a change of
scenery and lights it up here, a big catalyst for the Sharks first Stanley Cup. Great!

But say it doesn't work, then what? Just bury him in the minors and after this season ends, again, he's likely back on a plane to Russia in the offseason and we won't have to worry about his cap hit next season. You looking for a buy low, start with Nich.

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

I thought of it but didn't want to put that evil on this board.

1459998783265_zpsgebegbkq.gif

Haha no freaking way. If anything, we'd be looking at the ultimate buy-low on Dallas right now: Valeri Nichushkin.

Think about it. His trade value is absurdly low. Stars need to trade him because if he finishes out the season with Dallas, you have to think he's back to Russia after this season ends. So you have this uber-talented guy who is DIRT cheap trade-value wise. Realistically, can the Stars get better than a 4th round pick from any team in the league? Doug loves his bargains, and for me personally, if we're getting a guy having a crap season, I'd rather buy low on Nich than trade for Brassard.

So the Sharks go in for a buy low. And it turns out, he just needed a change of
scenery and lights it up here, a big catalyst for the Sharks first Stanley Cup. Great!

But say it doesn't work, then what? Just bury him in the minors and after this season ends, again, he's likely back on a plane to Russia in the offseason and we won't have to worry about his cap hit next season. You looking for a buy low, start with Nich.

Nich has no goals and is making about 3m. I don't know if the Sharks should be taking that kinda risk at such an important juncture. If we had more capspace for the deadline then hell yes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Cooch and Johansen were not worth that much, and so maybe Duchene might be. I think Cooch's is the worst contract of all the big ones DW gave out, even with Vlasic's struggles lately. I may turn out to be wrong, but I think Cooch falls off much sooner then Kane, Vlasic, or Burns, and 60 pt centers are not worth 8 mil to me in the first place even with some contract inflation lately.

So even though I agree Duchene has been producing better, still does not mean 8 mil is a crap offer for him. If its because its OTT making it, then just don't sign there, instead of making it seem like they are not offering you a reasonable contract.

Yeah it seems kinda weird that Jumbo can be statistically doing pretty darn good for a 39yo third line center, who has had Sorenson strapped to him all year, along side either Pavs or Labanc mostly, and yet it feels like a ton of people want him demoted just cause. His points are low, but what do you really expect playing a 3rd line/2nd pp role with Sorenson most of the year.

If we did get someone like Brassard, I would hope they move Jumbo UP not down the lineup, and slot Brassard at 3c, Radil into the bottom 6 and Thornton with some of the top 6 guys, preferably Hertl.

I agree that Couture and Johansen’s contracts both suck, but they’ve set the market for the kind of player that they are. That’s what those guys get.

Duchene is playing himself out of that class and into a higher one so he has every right to ask for more than them and he will get it if he hits the open market.

I think Thornton has had a good season for his role, but it’s mainly a function of his butter soft deployment, and I definitely don’t think he’s been great.

In what world is Joe Pavelski a 3rd line player? And Jumbo is now our best bet for 4c? The hell is wrong with you guys.

Couture - Pavelski - Timo
Kane - Hertl - Donskoi
Sorenson - Thornton - TDL
Radil - Goodrow - Karlsson

In a strange world where the following things are true:

1. The Joes are much better when they’re separated. The two of them on the same line is a defensive liabaility at even strength.

2. Barclay Goodrow is not cutting it as a 4th line center.

3. Thornton and Pavelski are both prone to being exposed and taken advantage of when facing top competition in a top-6 role.

Moving Pavelski to the 3rd line and Thornton to the 4th kills two birds with one stone.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I thought of it but didn't want to put that evil on this board.

View attachment 181883

Nich has no goals and is making about 3m. I don't know if the Sharks should be taking that kinda risk at such an important juncture. If we had more capspace for the deadline then hell yes.
Doug never trades for guys midseason who have no track record of "success" or Deboer/other coach affiliation. He occasionally takes a chance on a guy in the offseason when there's more time for them to find their game. At the trade deadline it's always guys how have a history of "success." Reacquiring Goldobin would be a better choice than Nichuskin and we know that won't happen.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
We know Doug wants a #1 center or something to take its place (after Taveres) Duchene, panarin, Seguin, stone... I think that's what hes after if he can swing it value wise. If he cant make a deal happen, he will go after his second choice and try to strengthen the bottom 6. No reason he cant do both though, fehr cost almost nothing.

If he could ideally bring in duchene or Seguin, and bring Fehr back... we would be a tough team to beat.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
The more I think about it I can see a deal for panarin involving Donskoi going the other way. Not saying Donskoi is anywhere close to panarin but he can be a playmaker on a second line.

To SJ
panarin

To CBJ
Donskoi
Leblanc
One of the sharks better prospects
2nd 2019

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I agree that Couture and Johansen’s contracts both suck, but they’ve set the market for the kind of player that they are. That’s what those guys get.

Duchene is playing himself out of that class and into a higher one so he has every right to ask for more than them and he will get it if he hits the open market.

I think Thornton has had a good season for his role, but it’s mainly a function of his butter soft deployment, and I definitely don’t think he’s been great.

Yeah which is why I said we cant/should not/would not sign him. So does Duchene put us over the top really? I am pretty leery about saying yes to that, and so to me trading for him would wind up with nothing but fewer assets to show for it.

If you think he can be someone who pushes the needle to true contender then I could see trading for him, but we would just disagree which is fine.

In a strange world where the following things are true:

1. The Joes are much better when they’re separated. The two of them on the same line is a defensive liabaility at even strength.

2. Barclay Goodrow is not cutting it as a 4th line center.

3. Thornton and Pavelski are both prone to being exposed and taken advantage of when facing top competition in a top-6 role.

Moving Pavelski to the 3rd line and Thornton to the 4th kills two birds with one stone.

If we are being fair to Duchene, lets be fair to Thornton. He and Pavs are not actually bad together, they are bad with Sorenson. Thornton/Pavs without Sorenson are like 60+ in possession metrics and 75% GF. The sample size is not huge because Sorenson has been stapled to Thornton's hip, but I do not think it is misleading either, accept that the GF% would probably come down some over a larger sample. In the little bit of time Thornton/Pavs/Meier have played together they were killing it too. Thornton is still one of our best possession forwards, which is crazy at his age and circumstances, but I think its clear he can no longer carry a line, he needs his wingers to share the burden.

So although I agree, and would prefer Thornton and Pavs to be separated, I think its more important to get Sorenson off their line IF they do stay together, because that line is not doing swell. I still want Labanc back on the third line, and he actually did fine with Thornton/Sorenson, so maybe give that another shot, because Labanc is not suited for a fourth line. If he is not traded that is.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
As far as the Stars go, Jim Nill is on record talking about being buyers and sellers at the deadline. Maybe DW wants to trade some of our disposable depth for picks to flip for something better before the deadline. Stars right d after Klingberg are Polak and Fedun, that just sucks. They might have real interest in Head or Braun. They don't have a lot of capspace though and right now they are in a playoff spot.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Like, I don’t even see an Eric Fehr type 4C on their roster that we would be interested in. Hanzal makes too much money and Faksa would likely hold too much value to them.

We also scouted their AHL team, so it’s possible that they’re more looking to buy from us, but, IDK what they’re in the market for.
EK65 won't sign so they're trading him (+) for Sequin...:naughty:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly, I would not be shocked if we were scouting the Wild and not the Stars. From what I have heard Staal, Coyle and Fehr are all 'available'.
Staal is my first choice among the 2nd tier and he could work as a possible resigning. Dude is a warrior.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The more I think about it I can see a deal for panarin involving Donskoi going the other way. Not saying Donskoi is anywhere close to panarin but he can be a playmaker on a second line.

To SJ
panarin

To CBJ
Donskoi
Leblanc
One of the sharks better prospects
2nd 2019
I don't see DW giving up 2 roster players for an un signed Bread man. Too much chemistry chaos since Panaman would likely walk. That's an off season move IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: SharksAddict

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Sharks would never trade a piece like Couture mid season. Doug is very sensitive to keeping the chemistry in tact.
You mean Logan "Co-worker" Couture? Of course he would! DW would make that trade in a minute to get rid of debbie downer and add a legit #1. Hell, give them Vlassic or Braun while we're at it!:laugh:

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
You mean Logan "Co-worker" Couture? Of course he would! DW would make that trade in a minute to get rid of debbie downer and add a legit #1. Hell, give them Vlassic or Braun while we're at it!:laugh:

Completely disagree. If Pavs leaves, Couture is likely your next captain.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Completely disagree. If Pavs leaves, Couture is likely your next captain.
Just because he broods and has no sense of humor doesn't mean he's the next captain. And if it's near 1 to 1 for Sequin, DW makes that trade in a heartbeat. As has been detailed here by our numbers people, Cooch has been slowly falling in his advanced stats over the last few years. I don't see him catching a second wind like Pavs or Burns. I think half way thru his contract he is no better than a 2nd line winger or 3rd line center. It seems that he's fallen off quite a bit since PDB took Hertl away from him this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad