Trade Deadline II [Flyers acquire Nate Thompson (Mont.) and Derek Grant (Anah.)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A trade candidate that fits Flyers' plans, could help down the middle

Derek Grant

Height: 6-3
Weight: 206
Team: Anaheim Ducks
2019-20 cap hit: $700,000
Scouting report

The well-traveled center has picked an opportune time for a career year. Grant, who is playing for his sixth NHL team, already owns a personal-best 14 goals and is five points away from breaking his career high of 24 set in 2017-18.
Grant, who has some positional versatility, possesses the characteristics the Flyers targeted last offseason — quality size, good physicality and strength in puck battles.
He's not highly skilled or an active playmaker, but the fourth-line center leads Anaheim's forwards in shorthanded minutes per game and is solid in the faceoff circle.
Projection

This one checks a lot of boxes.
It would make sense for the Ducks, who are in second-to-last place of the Western Conference, to sell high on Grant's stock. He's an older role player putting up career numbers and can become an unrestricted free agent in the offseason.
Grant's cap hit fits the Flyers' plans and he wouldn't block the team's future down the middle given his expiring contract.
The Flyers very well may be happy enough with 21-year-old Connor Bunnaman's play. And if they want more offense, Morgan Frost is heating up at AHL affiliate Lehigh Valley (three goals, two assists in last five games). The 2017 first-round pick could take over third-line center duties, while Scott Laughton would give the Flyers tons of depth at fourth-line center.
But if they want more experience and a player enjoying his best offensive season yet, Grant is a nice option. Adding him would likely only require trading a lower-round draft pick.

Reactions: Alex K

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I'm trying to find out how to feel about Thomson. He's vanilla. xGF% and CF% are around 48 each, so just about league average. Relative possession and xGF numbers on his Habs team we towards the bottom, though he did hover in the middle of the pack in relative HDCF which is something. Worth noting he was deployed much more often in the Dzone but I never weight that too heavy when looking at these numbers- if you're good enough you'll bring the puck to the O zone and keep it there.

Looks like he played with Cousins and Lehkonen mostly in MTL seeing about 10-12min each night on the 3rd and 4th line. I dunno. 12 pts; 8 primary (4 goals). Gets a huge meh from me. Hardly an upgrade over anything right now, gives some injury depth to save us from Andy Andyoff and Bitch Stewie at the very least.

For a 5th rounder I can't complain too loudly. This isn't something I'm sharpening the pitchfork over

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Where the hell are both of these guys going to play?

Injury insurance? I can I suppose talk myself into living with a move for one of these guys but a fourth and fifth for basically nothing? I dunno... count me not impressed. No need to get both imo. That’s the key.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
THEME.

upload_2020-2-24_11-40-19.png

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm fine with the pickups.

I know it's discouraging to see division rivals get "names" but I just don't think it was ever in the cards (plus I'm not sure guys like Marleau and Kovy were that great of a pickup).

If we somehow get Patrick back, it's better than any of those guys anyway. Depth is massive in the playoffs and I'm good with spending a 4 and a 5 to keep that going.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Where the hell are both of these guys going to play?

Injury insurance? I can I suppose talk myself into living with a move for one of these guys but a fourth and fifth for basically nothing? I dunno... count me not impressed. No need to get both imo. That’s the key.

Grant to 4C and Thompson to press box. Bunny to the Phantoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad