Trade Deadline II [Flyers acquire Nate Thompson (Mont.) and Derek Grant (Anah.)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
He gels well in the regular season with the Flames forwards before this season. Then the playoffs start and his size tends to be taken advantage of when the rules seem to change and favor a player like JvR who has had a few good runs the in playoffs instead of going invisible.
People use to say the same thing about Datsyuk. He always use to disappear in the playoffs until he didn’t.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I'm not sure about the AHL and NHL, but in the ECHL "future considerations" sometimes turn out to be cash, but since players don't like to be traded for cash, they only announce it as future considerations.

Since the Flyers traded a goalie to the Rangers who was assigned to Hartford and the Wolfpack traded a goalie and a forward to Lehigh Valley who were assigned to Reading, I would assume the "future considerations" for each of those trades could be cash, and that cash was possibly then sent from Philly to Lehigh to even it all out. I don't think you can directly trade a Flyers NHL contracted player for two Phantoms AHL contracted players, but that was the net effect.

Reactions: SnS and Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Guess I should have waited before ordering this off ebay.

s-l640.jpg

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Can we think about this from Calgary side for 2 min and not Flyers side. 1) If Calgary first player I want is TK as the salary coming back not Ghost not JVR not Voracek. Hopefully Fletch gives them a dial tone but you can see Calgary saying no TK no Johnny Hockey. 2) If you somehow convinced Calgary that Ghost or JVR is main salary going back then one of Farabee, Frost, or Myers is in the trade. JVR 1 2 Hagg offers ain't getting it done. 3) If Calgary I want players ready not 2020 1's. So IF from Calgary side and I ain't getting TK. I am asking York, Ghost and Frost for Johnny Hockey MINIMUM. I am NOT saying Flyers should do this. but please stop thinking JVR and 2020 1 is core of Johnny Hockey trade.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can we think about this from Calgary side for 2 min and not Flyers side. 1) If Calgary first player I want is TK as the salary coming back not Ghost not JVR not Voracek. Hopefully Fletch gives them a dial tone but you can see Calgary saying no TK no Johnny Hockey. 2) If you somehow convinced Calgary that Ghost or JVR is main salary going back then one of Farabee, Frost, or Myers is in the trade. JVR 1 2 Hagg offers ain't getting it done. 3) If Calgary I want players ready not 2020 1's. So IF from Calgary side and I ain't getting TK. I am asking York, Ghost and Frost for Johnny Hockey MINIMUM. I am NOT saying Flyers should do this. but please stop thinking JVR and 2020 1 is core of Johnny Hockey trade.

This is the correct take.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
This trade deadline is annoying me more than most. If Patrick and Lindblom were playing, the landscape changes. It's out of our control, I know, but it is supremely obnoxious. We're winning, but I can imagine rolling over teams so much harder if health concerns didn't threaten to kill our forwards, good god.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd include Frost in a JG trade, b/c I don't want both of them in the top 6.
No way I trade TK for JG, going forward I think TK has more upside.

JG played with Hayes at Boston College, so they'd be a good pair to reunite, put up amazing numbers together.

The difference between Kane and JG in the playoffs is speed and Toews, Kane simply doesn't play defense so without Toews he'd be a meh player.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This trade deadline is annoying me more than most. If Patrick and Lindblom were playing, the landscape changes. It's out of our control, I know, but it is supremely obnoxious. We're winning, but I can imagine rolling over teams so much harder if health concerns didn't threaten to kill our forwards, good god.

Imagine if we also replaced Hagg with a peak-Ghost. Sheesh.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
if they get jg someone with a big contract has to go because he's going to want a big contract.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not wanting Frost and JG together is just hilarious.

Rather have Hayes and JG together, go look at their season at Boston College, not good, historic.

I'd definitely trade Frost instead of TK. I know TK is going to be a top forward, maybe elite, Frost??? Remains to be seen.

TB tried a midget line, how'd that work in the playoffs?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
As always the returns people think are necessary are never what they end up being in real life. If Gaudreau is available and I don’t think he is, the return would be as the majority of all returns are; one “A” asset, one “B” asset and maybe something else. Maybe the “B” asset gets upgraded to an “A” if there is a salary dump. Even if you consider Ghost not an “A” asset anymore, he’s certainly not a salary dump and York and Frost both are “A’s so that proposal is nonsense.

Since both teams are in the playoff picture, any deal would likely be a hockey deal so prospects and picks make no sense.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
You think other teams are going to be lining up for players like JVR and Voracek? If you're making an offer for a player like JG, neither of those 2 will get it done

im not saying trade any of them for jg because i know they wont get it done, im saying if we get jg, jvr or voraeck have to be traded so we can pay for jg.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
As always the returns people think are necessary are never what they end up being in real life. If Gaudreau is available and I don’t think he is, the return would be as the majority of all returns are; one “A” asset, one “B” asset and maybe something else. Maybe the “B” asset gets upgraded to an “A” if there is a salary dump. Even if you consider Ghost not an “A” asset anymore, he’s certainly not a salary dump and York and Frost both are “A’s so that proposal is nonsense.

Since both teams are in the playoff picture, any deal would likely be a hockey deal so prospects and picks make no sense.
Agreed Johnny hockey would never get traded until offseason. Frost and York are not A's they are potential A's. Big difference. 2020 1st is not an A. Robert Hagg clearly is not an A or B. Ghost and JVR are not A's And I saying what Calgary would want. I am not advocating doing the trade. I am saying what Calgary would ask for. Honest question say we knew Konecky was getting traded (perish the thought). You really think we wouldn't ask for 1 falling star and 2 potential 1's with upside. I SURE WOULD.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
O'Connor: Flyers owe it to team, fans to be intelligently...

Folks, it’s time to drop any remaining qualifiers. This Flyers team is good. They’ve adapted and adhered to the new on-ice demands of general manager Chuck Fletcher and head coach Alain Vigneault. They’ve turned into the kind of a team that even elite-on-paper clubs don’t enjoy facing.

Oh, and they’ve absolutely played well enough to justify investment on the part of the front office before next week’s trade deadline.

Players like Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek spent their best years carrying an otherwise-moribund roster to mediocrity, and their main reward was inane criticism claiming they weren’t good enough as leaders or players. Fans sat through years of a rebuild disguised as a retool and continued to pack the Wells Fargo Center on a nightly basis. It shouldn’t be a surprise that, after last season’s abrupt repudiation of the Hextall mentality that fans largely bought into for years, many this season have taken the “you have to prove to me you’re serious” approach toward the Flyers (as reflected by the empty seats at the Wells Fargo Center).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad