GDT: Trade Deadline II :: Everyone is mad edition

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What a "trading deadline" may mean ...

My better half: "How many hours are you spending on hockey today? Plus, the radio, the tv and computer are all on at the same time?

Me: It's trade deadline day. It's a once-a-year thing.

Better half: It's trade deadline day? Now you tell me it's the trading deadline. So I can trade you?

Me: No. :laugh:

Better half: Did I miss it?

Me: :laugh:

Better half: Don't worry, there's always a new deadline. :sarcasm:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Versteeg is so not better than Gallagher, thats nuts.

Saad is equal at best, I'd even say Gally brings a lot more to a team. Saad would never maintain his PPG ratio in Montreal, Oshie would probably struggle to do so too.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
this 100%…

MB missed the boat on that one. Wonder if he had any discussion with MacT at the time? if not, mistake on his part.

Perron would have been a great fit, on a very reasonable cap hit, and if things went well, a strong candidate to re-sign at a reasonable extension price (not hard to imagine that a francophone from the area would bend a bit in signing an extension IF he had a positive taste of playing for a winner in Montreal/2 playoff runs in the city).

That one was a miss, would have addressed our top-6 need in a big way without costing the farm.

Perron was a big gamble, he's lazy defensively and the Penguins have gone to **** since the trade.

1g2a his last 8 games playing with the best player in the NHL. You guys would crucify MB for giving up a 1st for him

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My better half: "How many hours are you spending on hockey today? Plus, the radio, the tv and computer are all on at the same time?

Me: It's trade deadline day. It's a once-a-year thing.

Better half: It's trade deadline day? Now you tell me it's the trading deadline. So I can trade you?

Me: No. :laugh:

Better half: Did I miss it?

Me: :laugh:

Better half: Don't worry, there's always a new deadline. :sarcasm:

Where do you stash her for the PO's ?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Schwartz is better than Oshie

Oshie is so glorified ever since his shootout in the olympics, he's a good player sure but people talk about him like he's much more than a 50 to 60 point guy.

Oshie is apparenlty underrated because he is terrific defensively.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Versteeg is so not better than Gallagher, thats nuts.

Saad is equal at best, I'd even say Gally brings a lot more to a team. Saad would never maintain his PPG ratio in Montreal, Oshie would probably struggle to do so too.

Serious debate if you had to pick one to go to war with...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Perron was a big gamble, he's lazy defensively and the Penguins have gone to **** since the trade.

disagree… he wasn't playing that bad in Edm, imo you could tell that the situation was dragging him down (statistically) more than vice-versa.

he's been a strong contributor in Pitt, i don't think it makes any sense to attribute their inconsistency to his play… if anything he's been there most consistent winger since arriving. 10 goals in 24 games is pretty damn solid, even with the Crosby/Malkin effect.

factor in his very good cap hit, which was a good deal even if his production didn't return to norm after the slow start to this year.

low risk/high reward imo, even at the cost of a (late) 1st rounder

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If this keeps up, I'm the one getting stashed. Permanently. :laugh:

ahhh I remember when...
It changes over the course of a long relationship.
You actually get shuffled out the door to go watch elsewhere. :laugh:
Got to play your cards right for quite some time though.

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Q used 23 different line combos against the Blues two games into their series last year.
It was commented on by Romanuk or Miller or whoever covered that series. :amazed:
A resounding thump on your theory I would say.

C'mon. A coach juggling his lineups has nothing to do at all with a player's worth. It's purely situational. It's like saying Weise is a 1st liner because MT played him on the 1st line in the playoffs.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
You have 4 players to choose from and you have to take 2, who do you take?

Jaden Schwartz
Brandan Gallagher
Brandon Saad
Kris Versteeg

1. Schwartz
2.Gally
Saad is close to Gall

Versteeg doesnt even belong with the rest, he's comparable to PAP

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You have 4 players to choose from and you have to take 2, who do you take?

Jaden Schwartz
Brandan Gallagher
Brandon Saad
Kris Versteeg

Top two for me no questions asked.
I never was a fan of Versteeg's and Saad seems to be missing something he may eventually find.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
John Shannon literally knows nothing about hockey. He is a tv exec with no hockey background whatsoever.

Except being around it every day, at various levels, for what, 4 or 5 decades? He has a set of priorities that you'd almost expect just from looking at him, but he literally knows more about hockey (certainly from a historical standpoint) than both of us combined.

I will say, though, I believe he has said on broadcast in the past that he can't even skate, so that's admittedly a huge negative, lol.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
So apparently Brandan Gallagher is a top 6 forward. Good, glad we have that settled :banana:

Hell yeah he is I would never debate that, people who say he's not should really take a look at the average 2nd line in the NHL

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
C'mon. A coach juggling his lineups has nothing to do at all with a player's worth. It's purely situational. It's like saying Weise is a 1st liner because MT played him on the 1st line in the playoffs.

My take on the discussion was:
A) Gallagher could play a Top 6 in Chi.
B) Would definitely get the chance as those stats indicate.
C) Would stick because of his pure determination.

My take on Brendan is he would become more effective with a Toews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad