GDT: Trade Deadline (Friday, March 8 @ 3PM) Thread

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'll take that over a 2024 6th rounder for a 2025 6th rounder. That was a situation where we just kind of forgot the time-value of an asset.
And yet, science has shown that people with larger heads have slightly higher IQs than people with smaller heads. Head size "explaining" about 2% of the total IQ variance in humankind. I believe the actual factor at play is the extent of vascular flow and/or neuron activity in the brain, with larger heads in general having more than smaller heads.

As with most of the social sciences, there are always outliers. In this case, they are termed "Botterills".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we keep winning, I am now assuming we don’t even sell off our vets.

Vic isn’t playing and played poorly when he did. There is not much value there.

EJ has struggled a lot lately, not much value there but maybe as a #7 or #8 for a team that is looking for vet experience. And he may not want to go.

Girgensons got a stretch playing center again, I half expect that was part of showing he could do it to suitors. He probably has the most value but it isn’t going to wow us.

Okposo seems cooked but was also someone the Bruins were looking at. For a but low guy who could give them vet depth, might be his last hurrah.

And then there is Bryson. A team might look at him as a 7/8 depth guy who they could get cheaply in terms of assets and Buffalo retains, treating him like a rental since no one is going to qualify him at that cap figure.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Honestly, I think we will see us sell off maybe Girgensons and Okposo. Maybe Jost.

Olofsson and Johnson simply make too much to be moved without a 3rd party also retaining. And their value isn't high enough to justify the extra picks it would take for that.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Honestly, I think we will see us sell off maybe Girgensons and Okposo. Maybe Jost.

Olofsson and Johnson simply make too much to be moved without a 3rd party also retaining. And their value isn't high enough to justify the extra picks it would take for that.
Just don't see anyone going through the trouble with very few assets to spread around. They'll probably get what they can for VO and EJ and if not, let them sail away in the summer.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Vic isn’t playing and played poorly when he did. There is not much value there.

EJ has struggled a lot lately, not much value there but maybe as a #7 or #8 for a team that is looking for vet experience. And he may not want to go.

Girgensons got a stretch playing center again, I half expect that was part of showing he could do it to suitors. He probably has the most value but it isn’t going to wow us.

Okposo seems cooked but was also someone the Bruins were looking at. For a but low guy who could give them vet depth, might be his last hurrah.

And then there is Bryson. A team might look at him as a 7/8 depth guy who they could get cheaply in terms of assets and Buffalo retains, treating him like a rental since no one is going to qualify him at that cap figure.
If I'm Adams, I'm looking at:

- Whatever I can get for Olofsson, even if it means retaining 50%
- Girgensons to whoever for 50% for something around a 3rd
- Johnson to whoever for 50%, for something around a 3rd

If I had my way, here's what I'd do:

- Rosen and Johnson (50% retained) to Edmonton for Broberg and a 4th/5th
- Girgensons (50% retained) to Boston for Beecher
- Olofsson (50% retained) to maybe Winnipeg or Nashville for a late round pick. Both those teams have cap space and pedestrian power plays.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Trading Vic for whatever he can garner is a favor to the player (who I think despite his flaws has never been a *lazy* player or bad influence) and clears out a spot they’re not really using well.

The issue there is he's not being used by one of the lower scoring teams in the league. The book on him is written - I would expect maybe a the Rangers come around again like they did prior to going with Vatrano a few years ago. Even still, there isn't a lot of return there even if he gets plugged in somewhere and goes on a heater.

Reactions: Zman5778

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Sounds like Calgary is falling apart. Got to be someone Adams can poach.

Got to think Calgary is gonna clean house.

Hanifin probably traded at the deadline. If they were smart Kadri too.

Coleman is 32. Weeger is 30. Just tear the whole thing down.

On top of that their prospect pool is not very good. Ranked 15-20 depending on who you ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: ValJamesDuex

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Freidman has Okposo to the rangers in a trade being talked about

NJD interested in Markstrom - Pierre LeBrun

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
If I had to guess, Okposo for a late 3rd or 4th. Girgensons for a late 2nd or 3rd. It doesn't end up being about value, but rather doing your vets a solid and sending them somewhere they want to go.

No takers for EJ or VO, we're stuck with them.

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If I had to guess, Okposo for a late 3rd or 4th. Girgensons for a late 2nd or 3rd. It doesn't end up being about value, but rather doing your vets a solid and sending them somewhere they want to go.

No takers for EJ or VO, we're stuck with them.
Finally chewing through Friedman’s second 32 thoughts podcast for the week and he mentions KYLE and possibly the Rangers but it was him riffing I think more than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad