Trade deadline deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As much as I'd like Duchene, I don't think we quite have the assets they'd want in return (although Strome might be appreciated). Like others, I think we just need to give Strome more time to develop. Yes, he may not be as advanced as McDavid or Eichel at this point, but I think he'll have a longer NHL career than both (although McDavid may stick around for a while) once he matures. I definitely feel he'll be around longer than Marner.

In terms of depth, I'm kind of hoping they re-sign Burmistrov for 2-3 years while some of our prospect Cs develop a bit more (with occasional call ups). While Keller is doing well, I sort of hope he spends one more year in college (or one year in the AHL--whichever he can do next season) before being put into the lineup (even if they put him on the LW). I haven't been too impressed by Dauphin or Gaudet (especially at C); while both are serviceable 4th liners, I think they will end up career AHLers unless they make some major steps forward.

MacInnis is also kind of a wild card. If he can put on some size, he might work out well as a 4th/3rd liner, but I still think he's a few seasons away as well.

So, at least for next season (if we don't re-sign Hanzal), I'd like to see: NEW/Dvorak/Burmistrov/Richardson at Center with Dauphin/MacInnis/Gaudet as call ups. If we re-sign Hanzal, I suppose Burmistrov or Richardson would have to go, although either can switch to one of the Wings as well. I don't think we'll acquire a true 1C for next season, so perhaps some sort of vet could work if Dvo can improve a bit.

Domi - NEW/Dvo - NEW
Perlini - Dvo/NEW - Vrbata (if re-signed)
Rieder - Burmi (if re-signed) - Fischer
Martinook/Crouse - Richardson - NEW/White (if re-signed)

I'm assuming Doan, McGinn, Jooris, Holland, and Hanzal will be traded, claimed, or moved and that we'll need to acquire a 1C (or 2C), a 1 RW (should be acquirable), and possibly a 4 RW (or prospect)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I tend to agree with that lineup, except for Burmistrov. I don't know what he's done to earn a multi-year extension. I'd offer him a one-year, two-way, but I don't believe he'd accept it.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I tend to agree with that lineup, except for Burmistrov. I don't know what he's done to earn a multi-year extension. I'd offer him a one-year, two-way, but I don't believe he'd accept it.

He's done okay, considering. I'm not thinking big money in those 2-3 years, and he is technically an RFA, so we can probably get him for a decent contract. He's done well in the FO circle, and has contributed to scoring (7 points in 11 games isn't too shabby). I see him as a band aid while the prospect Cs develop without throwing them into the NHL line-up. Burmi as a 3rd C (who can step in if necessary on the 2nd isn't too bad).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Completely agree.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As much as I'd like Duchene, I don't think we quite have the assets they'd want in return (although Strome might be appreciated). Like others, I think we just need to give Strome more time to develop. Yes, he may not be as advanced as McDavid or Eichel at this point, but I think he'll have a longer NHL career than both (although McDavid may stick around for a while) once he matures. I definitely feel he'll be around longer than Marner.

In terms of depth, I'm kind of hoping they re-sign Burmistrov for 2-3 years while some of our prospect Cs develop a bit more (with occasional call ups). While Keller is doing well, I sort of hope he spends one more year in college (or one year in the AHL--whichever he can do next season) before being put into the lineup (even if they put him on the LW). I haven't been too impressed by Dauphin or Gaudet (especially at C); while both are serviceable 4th liners, I think they will end up career AHLers unless they make some major steps forward.

MacInnis is also kind of a wild card. If he can put on some size, he might work out well as a 4th/3rd liner, but I still think he's a few seasons away as well.

So, at least for next season (if we don't re-sign Hanzal), I'd like to see: NEW/Dvorak/Burmistrov/Richardson at Center with Dauphin/MacInnis/Gaudet as call ups. If we re-sign Hanzal, I suppose Burmistrov or Richardson would have to go, although either can switch to one of the Wings as well. I don't think we'll acquire a true 1C for next season, so perhaps some sort of vet could work if Dvo can improve a bit.

Domi - NEW/Dvo - NEW
Perlini - Dvo/NEW - Vrbata (if re-signed)
Rieder - Burmi (if re-signed) - Fischer
Martinook/Crouse - Richardson - NEW/White (if re-signed)

I'm assuming Doan, McGinn, Jooris, Holland, and Hanzal will be traded, claimed, or moved and that we'll need to acquire a 1C (or 2C), a 1 RW (should be acquirable), and possibly a 4 RW (or prospect)

Did you forget Duclair?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Good luck getting Flyers fans to agree to that.

Ghost has been not great this year. I Get your point. He's beloved. That being said Flyers have several intriguing D prospects. We need another RD.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Did you forget Duclair?

I should have added him to the "not gonna be here" list. As much as I'd like to see him up with the Coyotes, I just don't think it's in the cards for a variety of reasons. I'm guessing he'll be moved at the TDL or possibly the draft.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Some interesting trivia, looking up franchise records: Martin Hanzal is currently #8 all-time in games played for the Jets/Coyotes. 8 games behind Zbynek. 39 games behind Tkachuk. And 112 games behind Hawerchuk.

rt

May 13, 2004
I should have added him to the "not gonna be here" list. As much as I'd like to see him up with the Coyotes, I just don't think it's in the cards for a variety of reasons. I'm guessing he'll be moved at the TDL or possibly the draft.

I hate Dave Tippett so entirely.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Burmi stays solid than a 1yr 2mil offer is fine with me.

I think you can get him for half that price. It's a slight paycut on his current number, but are there suitors lining for Burmi?

Question is how effective is Burmi in a lesser role next season? Can we run him as the 3C (x-Dvo-Burmi-Richardson) and would he still be effective there?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If Richardson comes back in full form he's gonna be the 3C anyway provided Strome/Keller doesn't take his job anyway.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Not sure of Burmi at this stage, but I think Dauphin can handle a 4th line C next year, which leaves Richardson to play on a higher line. The way Dvo has progressed he could start at 2C or maybe even a 1C, depending on the Hanzal situation.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Richardson ends up being taken in expansion draft. Or traded to Vegas.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Richardson ends up being taken in expansion draft. Or traded to Vegas.

Never thought of that. That could depend on how the Hanzal situation ends up.

rt

May 13, 2004
i think you can get him for half that price. It's a slight paycut on his current number, but are there suitors lining for burmi?

Question is how effective is burmi in a lesser role next season? Can we run him as the 3c (x-dvo-burmi-richardson) and would he still be effective there?

khl.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully Richie can get some games in soon. I'd like to have an idea of how much his game is impacted by the leg injury.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Burmi has played as advertised. Solid puck skills, defensively responsible, inability to finish as demonstrated by his 40 points in last 160 NHL games. Yet, he gets regular PP minutes??:shakehead He's a 4th liner/13th forward and probably blocking Dauphin from getting to the NHL, therefore I'd cut ties with Burmi. But since Coach likes him, he'll probably be back in a top 9 role.

Duclair is not an in season trade, let him play out the season and see what happens. No question he has the ability to be a solid NHL player, but doubtful he'll have success playing under Dave Tippett (as we've seen). Since Coach isn't leaving guess that means Duclair, sadly, needs to go.

I do see a common theme/problem here.....

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Italics are players who may be in AHL or different position on ice next year. Underlined are players that may or may not be in Arizona. Forwards only.

2017-18 C depth: Hanzal, Dvorak, Strome, Richardson, Dauphin, Keller, Burmistrov, MacInnis, 2017 draft pick

2017-18 LW depth: Domi, Perlini, Martinook, Rieder, Crouse, McGinn, Keller, Burmistrov, Bunting

2017-18 RW depth: Vrbata, Doan, Fischer, Duclair, White, Merkley

So we can lose one of Richardson, McGinn, or Burmistrov to the expansion draft and still be okay. We need to add to the right hand side, or get some other RH players in there.

It would be great to move Richardson to a 3rd line RW position. The other good news is that amongst Keller, Burmi, and Martinook, we have three players who can play either C or LW. I don't think that bringing Hanzal back is entirely necessary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Burmi has played as advertised. Solid puck skills, defensively responsible, inability to finish as demonstrated by his 40 points in last 160 NHL games. Yet, he gets regular PP minutes??:shakehead He's a 4th liner/13th forward and probably blocking Dauphin from getting to the NHL, therefore I'd cut ties with Burmi. But since Coach likes him, he'll probably be back in a top 9 role.

Duclair is not an in season trade, let him play out the season and see what happens. No question he has the ability to be a solid NHL player, but doubtful he'll have success playing under Dave Tippett (as we've seen). Since Coach isn't leaving guess that means Duclair, sadly, needs to go.

I believe picking up Burmi has nothing to do with Dauphin, rather they may have thought it was a low risk high reward type scenario. Dauphin is young, gaining experience so leaving him in the A will not hurt him. As far a giving Burmi PP minutes shows they are giving him minutes to see if he has something or not, same as last year with the Russians. The jury is still out on Duclair who had success last year under DT, so your argument there does not hold water. Duclair was given ample playing time before being demoted, and he has no one to blame but himself, same goes for Strome.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I believe picking up Burmi has nothing to do with Dauphin, rather they may have thought it was a low risk high reward type scenario. Dauphin is young, gaining experience so leaving him in the A will not hurt him. As far a giving Burmi PP minutes shows they are giving him minutes to see if he has something or not, same as last year with the Russians. The jury is still out on Duclair who had success last year under DT, so your argument there does not hold water. Duclair was given ample playing time before being demoted, and he has no one to blame but himself, same goes for Strome.

Totally agree. I also doubt Duclair gets traded because his value is low now. He will be back and better for this experience longer term.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Totally agree. I also doubt Duclair gets traded because his value is low now. He will be back and better for this experience longer term.

I'm going to disagree with you (surprise surprise :laugh:). The kinds of players who learn from these kinds of experiences tend to pick things back up when they go down to the minors. I think what we're seeing from Duclair right now are some of the red flags that led the Rangers to think he was expendable in the first place.

He wouldn't be the first player with a great shot to fizzle out on the big stage and he won't be the last.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Duke. It was supposed to be 5 games in the A but he really hasn't earned a call-up either, going strictly off his stat line (1 goal in 9 games). He's gotta score, especially at a minor league level.

I like Burmi's defensive game. Multiple times I've seen him break up opposition plays because he has his stick in the right place, intercepting passes, deflecting pucks out, etc. If he can do that full-time, he can play on the 4th line. It's nice to have an effective fourth line for a change (White + 1 of Nook/Crouse). If we can get the center there, and maybe that player is Richie, that line will be very useful for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad