Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Doan to Sharks for 4th in 2017 and a 2nd in 2019

Hanzal, Vrbata, Connaughton for Debrincat, 2nd rounder, Pokka, and Rasmussen

Stone to Toronto for two seconds

Stone to Toronto makes a lot of sense.

I really don't think Doan will move.

A lot of good predictions in this thread. Whoever is closest wins a bottle of their choice from rt's liquor cabinet :naughty:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As of now, I believe the Coyotes have all their picks, swapping their 6th rounder with San Jose's from the Letunov deal. (I think by letting Plotnikov walk, the Coyotes don't owe the Penguins their 7th). So 7 picks as of now. If I had to guess, I'd say they go into draft day with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and 9 total.

We're missing our 6th. That went to SJ in the Letunov deal. We didn't get a 6th back.

We'll be sending either Detroit's or our 3rd to Florida for Crouse.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/coyotes

The link shows our picks and the related transactions

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Thoughts on a Gostisbehere for Duclair change of scenery trade?

I'd be happy with it. But that trade would force one of our LHD to play on the right side, or it would make Chychrun a nightly scratch.

If we knew for sure Chych wouldn't get scratched, I'd be for it.

OEL-Goose
Ghost-Murphy
Chych-Schenn/DeAngelo

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd be happy with it. But that trade would force one of our LHD to play on the right side, or it would make Chychrun a nightly scratch.

If we knew for sure Chych wouldn't get scratched, I'd be for it.

OEL-Goose
Ghost-Murphy
Chych-Schenn/DeAngelo

For some reason I thought G was a RD. Fair comments.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Could we package something together around Strome for Duchene? Probably a little late in the game, but if there was significant interest in Duchene extending his contract here, it actually seems like a possibility.

Strome + defenseman prospect (Capobianco, Dineen, Mayo, or Mermis) + 2017 2nd round pick?? Is that enough/too much/too little value for a minimum of one year from Duchene? Feeling like a 2018 2nd round pick may also be necessary.

This only comes from the idea that I don't think we are as committed to Strome as other prospects.

Our C depth next year could be any one of the following:
Duchene/Dvorak/Keller/Richardson
Duchene/Dvorak/Hanzal/Richardson
Duchene/Dvorak/Richardson/Dauphin

One thing I did not know - apparently Duchene is a nephew of Newell Brown...

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Could we package something together around Strome for Duchene? Probably a little late in the game, but if there was significant interest in Duchene extending his contract here, it actually seems like a possibility.

Strome + defenseman prospect (Capobianco, Dineen, Mayo, or Mermis) + 2017 2nd round pick?? Is that enough/too much/too little value for a minimum of one year from Duchene? Feeling like a 2018 2nd round pick may also be necessary.

This only comes from the idea that I don't think we are as committed to Strome as other prospects.

Outside of his Uncle and ties to Quebec is there anything that suggests he would want to deal with the upcoming arena/relocation circus here? That's the issue with any upcoming UFA and any UFA of our own. Best case is the ownership group is serious about staying but that makes this a 1-2 year circus at best. If they move to Quebec you are agreeing to take a pretty substantial hit in take home pay due to tax rates. we are once again in a nightmare situation.

As for a package built around Strome. Depends if we win the lottery. Problem is we won't know that until post deadline. That's why we aren't part of today's conversations. If Avs want instant depth for prospects we could pitch them Duclair and Strome and few teams could touch that. If we lose the lottery we substitute Strome for a 4th or 5th OV pick. They likely will demand a D. We will be forced to decide if we are willing to include Chychrun. I would. Others here won't. How comfortable are we we can extend OEL given the arena circus? It all comes full circle.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Outside of his Uncle and ties to Quebec is there anything that suggests he would want to deal with the upcoming arena/relocation circus here? That's the issue with any upcoming UFA and any UFA of our own. Best case is the ownership group is serious about staying but that makes this a 1-2 year circus at best. If they move to Quebec you are agreeing to take a pretty substantial hit in take home pay due to tax rates. we are once again in a nightmare situation.

As for a package built around Strome. Depends if we win the lottery. Problem is we won't know that until post deadline. That's why we aren't part of today's conversations. If Avs want instant depth for prospects we could pitch them Duclair and Strome and few teams could touch that. If we lose the lottery we substitute Strome for a 4th or 5th OV pick. They likely will demand a D. We will be forced to decide if we are willing to include Chychrun. I would. Others here won't. How comfortable are we we can extend OEL given the arena circus? It all comes full circle.

I think Chychrun would be off limits. That's why I would like to know how significant of an add we would have to put in if we were to include a Dineen or Capobianco in the deal. I think that we could lose one of them and still be safe on the left hand side.

I think regardless of picking 1st or 5th, we could make the case that the player we pick up could be more influential than Strome. Would not be a strong case, but a case nonetheless. Let's say we get Duchene for some combo of Strome, Dineen, and picks/prospects that doesn't include our 2017 1st rounder.

I see it as we can gain pretty significantly with either Liljegren and Duchene or Rasmussen and Duchene as a worst case scenario to replace Strome, Dineen, and some other picks and prospects. I could live with that, provided we get some sort of conditional return if Duchene doesn't resign with us. Even if he doesn't resign, we still have some decent center depth operating in the AHL with Dauphin and MacInnis developing.

But all things considered, we probably don't have the conducive enough environment to ensure him signing long term

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

There is no way I even think of trading Strome. Let's be a little patient here shall we. Strome could end up better than Duchene.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I'd be ecstatic if we could pick off Debrincat and a pick for Hanzal.

Assuming we win the lottery, this is what the future core could look like.

Domi- Strome-Debrincat
Keller- Patrick- Duclair
Fischer- Dvorak- Rieder
Crouse- Martinook- Perlini

OEL-Murphy
Chychurn-Deangelo
Capobianco-Wood

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
There is no way I even think of trading Strome. Let's be a little patient here shall we. Strome could end up better than Duchene.

Thank you. I was about to lose my mind reading some of these posts. I have zero idea why Strome is being treated like he is. Maybe they are reading to many posts from Toronto fans on here. Maybe his league leading 2.3 ppg isn't enough for them? The thought of trading Strome and adding two other solid peices for 2 years of Duchene, makes me sick to my stomach.

I'd be ecstatic if we could pick off Debrincat and a pick for Hanzal.

Assuming we win the lottery, this is what the future core could look like.

Domi- Strome-Debrincat
Keller- Patrick- Duclair
Fischer- Dvorak- Rieder
Crouse- Martinook- Perlini

OEL-Murphy
Chychurn-Deangelo
Capobianco-Wood

So you wanna put 5"7 Alex Debrincat on our first line and put Perlini on our 4th line. I understand Perlini was very underwhelming in junior but he's been great so far at the pro level. There were quite a bit of people who thought Perlinis game was much better suited for the pro game. Debrincat may prove people wrong some day but I'd take Perlini 10 times out of 10.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Where does Strome fit in with the following Cs likely to be under contract in the next 2 years:

Dvorak
Richardson
Keller
Dauphin
MacInnis

Replacing Strome with Duchene isn't exactly stepping back and we get a true NHL ready, top line player. Strome may not be top line material for another year or two, let alone a guarantee of being NHL ready from the get-go. Of the list of 5 players above, I would put Strome near the bottom, in terms of NHL readiness. We also will still have at least one free agent that we likely sign, and we probably bring Burmistrov back.

Ideally, Duchene would have more than two years left on his deal, or there would be a strong inclination on his part to extend his contract here - that would make this closer in value. If Strome is going to spend a year in the AHL next year (decent possibility) and we can grab a player who is at the same level in Patrick or Hischier in the draft, then I don't really perceive the team as having lost that much. We replaced Strome with 2 years of Duchene, and lost a B-level defenseman prospect and some other parts (Duclair and a pick/Merkley and a pick?) for that. I may also be interpreting the trade value incorrectly, so if it costs significantly more than that, then yeah, probably not worth it. If Duchene has some chemistry with others and he becomes interested in re-signing in Arizona, then it was definitely worth it. In two years time, these are our top 9 F lines (assumes Merkley and a pick are added to the deal for Duchene):

Keller-Duchene-Fischer
Domi-Patrick-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-XXXX

If Duchene does not re-sign, then Keller probably moves to C, and we backfill at LW, where our pool is pretty deep (Karlsson, Bunting, or Warren) for bottom 6 roles.

Perlini-Patrick-Fischer
Domi-Keller-Duclair
Bunting-Dvorak-XXXX

Again, in either scenario, I think we pick up a better player than Strome in the short and long term (Duchene and one of the Cs, or even Liljegren), while giving up a B-level defense prospect on the LH side, a pick, and a pretty decent F. Depends on how people view players like Merkley, Duclair, and Strome.

I have no horse in the race, but if Strome was perceived to be that #1 C that we have desired for so long, then why talk about trading the #3 pick in the first place, and then why take Keller (yes, he will probably be at left wing down the line) the very next year when the clear area to improve is on D? I am not saying that Strome is awful or throwing **** at a wall to make it stick. I am just suggesting that maybe Strome's position in the organization is not as strong as it seems. After all, how many people guessed that Duclair was going to be the player sent down amongst the 4-10 AHL eligible players that we had on the roster?

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
You don't give up 7 cost controlled years of a #3ov pick for two years of a #2 center when you aren't likely to make a cup run

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
All I know about Strome is that he isn't McDavid or Eichel. We shouldn't be all over him for not being McDavid. He was the consolation prize for not getting McEichel. That shouldn't be held against him either. He may in the end be our best center for a decade or more and he deserves his time to grow and mature and his shot at the NHL. We shouldn't trade him.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You don't give up 7 cost controlled years of a #3ov pick for two years of a #2 center when you aren't likely to make a cup run

But we will have 7 years of cost control with Nolan Patrick all the same, whom I also believe to eventually be the better player than Strome in the future. That's where my logic says that if we can get Duchene for Strome and some other prospects (all of whom are not guaranteed to make the same level of impact that Duchene could make over two years), then it is a risky move, but a risk with some upside.

I just kind of want to see what we would have to give up in order to pick up Duchene. If it is Strome, Dineen, Fejes, and a 2nd round pick only, then we could probably sacrifice that while keeping the top 5 pick. If Colorado asked for our 1st round pick, and not Strome, some people may be more inclined to make that deal. I am the opposite way, and would rather keep the top 5 pick this year, and deal Strome. I can't speak for everybody's opinion here, but if Duchene were available to us for some package that included either Strome or our 1st round pick, it seems like people would be more willing to include our 1st round pick for Duchene, as opposed to Strome. Is there a specific reason for that? I think that they are one in the same, and while we shouldn't necessarily be giving up on Strome, there is no guarantee that his skating will have improved enough to be the top line center in two years, either. Duchene is more of a known quantity relative to Strome, at this point, and given the trajectories of each, I'd say that it bodes much worse for Strome to outshine Duchene in the next two years, and possibly for a long time after that.

Keep in mind that if talks with Duchene go nowhere, and we are not a playoff contender, Duchene could net us another decent return at the deadline. If we are a playoff contender, he has a reason to re-sign, b/c our youth will improve, and he will be a part of that.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
With all the young players we have a very cost controlled team. If IE will spend the money, I think that we could trade the pick for Duchenne, pay him whatever he wants long term, pay Ollie and maybe pay Hanzal and still be well away from the cap.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
With all the young players we have a very cost controlled team. If IE will spend the money, I think that we could trade the pick for Duchenne, pay him whatever he wants long term, pay Ollie and maybe pay Hanzal and still be well away from the cap.

We'd still be cost-controlled, b/c wouldn't the salaries be relatively similar? If Strome plays in the NHL this upcoming year, it would be the equivalent of Patrick or Hischier being there, right? The only possibility that could backfire is we would be paying NHL salary one year early if Strome only plays in the AHL next year vs a Patrick/Hischier playing. I would argue that is a win for the Coyotes if able to fit a draft pick like Hischier or Patrick into the NHL, vs a 21 year old who still has some growth required.

Also keep in mind that in two years, Smith's salary comes off the books. So, I think the cost-controlled aspect isn't as much of an argument. Gaining Duchene means that we wouldn't necessarily be forced into looking at Hanzal, especially with the other Cs that we already have in tow (Dvorak, Richardson, Keller, MacInnis, etc.). OEL will get re-upped. Domi is the only one that we may have to strongly consider a long term deal for. I don't see much difference in cost control at all if we were to lose Hanzal and Doan this offseason. We'd primarily replace from AHL and maybe some smaller signings.

Last edited:

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
But we will have 7 years of cost control with Nolan Patrick all the same, whom I also believe to eventually be the better player than Strome in the future. That's where my logic says that if we can get Duchene for Strome and some other prospects (all of whom are not guaranteed to make the same level of impact that Duchene could make over two years), then it is a risky move, but a risk with some upside.

I just kind of want to see what we would have to give up in order to pick up Duchene. If it is Strome, Dineen, Fejes, and a 2nd round pick only, then we could probably sacrifice that while keeping the top 5 pick. If Colorado asked for our 1st round pick, and not Strome, some people may be more inclined to make that deal. I am the opposite way, and would rather keep the top 5 pick this year, and deal Strome. I can't speak for everybody's opinion here, but if Duchene were available to us for some package that included either Strome or our 1st round pick, it seems like people would be more willing to include our 1st round pick for Duchene, as opposed to Strome. Is there a specific reason for that? I think that they are one in the same, and while we shouldn't necessarily be giving up on Strome, there is no guarantee that his skating will have improved enough to be the top line center in two years, either. Duchene is more of a known quantity relative to Strome, at this point, and given the trajectories of each, I'd say that it bodes much worse for Strome to outshine Duchene in the next two years, and possibly for a long time after that.

Keep in mind that if talks with Duchene go nowhere, and we are not a playoff contender, Duchene could net us another decent return at the deadline. If we are a playoff contender, he has a reason to re-sign, b/c our youth will improve, and he will be a part of that.

What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? The only way a team should ever give up a prospect like Strome for 2 years of Duchene is if they have a chance at a cup. If we were lucky enough get Patrick, then we still are no where near being a contender. The only thing that would make Strome expendable would be if we magically got a #1 and a #2 center this offseason. I will gaurantee that if Duchene does get traded this deadline it will be to a team in contention. Contending teams are the only ones that will be willing to pay a premium for his 2+ years.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? The only way a team should ever give up a prospect like Strome for 2 years of Duchene is if they have a chance at a cup. If we were lucky enough get Patrick, then we still are no where near being a contender. The only thing that would make Strome expendable would be if we magically got a #1 and a #2 center this offseason. I will gaurantee that if Duchene does get traded this deadline it will be to a team in contention. Contending teams are the only ones that will be willing to pay a premium for his 2+ years.

We will have a top 5 pick this year and we would pick up Duchene as a result of getting rid of Strome. That returns our #1 and #2 C.

We'd basically have Patrick (or Hischier, Vilardi, Rasmussen) and Strome as our de facto #1 and #2 if we stand pat. Could be for as many as 4-5 years for that, but both Patrick and Strome appear to be a little ways from being a dependable #1/#2 punch, so the 4 or 5 year timeline may be a little much. We'd have Patrick and Duchene as our de facto #1 and #2, minus some spares, for 2 years.

We would definitively have an NHL caliber C for the next two years with Duchene. We may have one NHL caliber C in the next two years with Strome and whomever our draft pick is. We still have a pretty large amount of C depth, too. If we were bare bones and did not have Dvorak, Keller, MacInnis, Dauphin, or others behind, then I don't think Duchene is as much of an option. We just so happen to have a fair enough mix that we could explore Duchene, but as people have said, it may not be worth it. I would put a lot of consideration into picking up Duchene and giving up Strome, assuming the price is fair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad