GDT: Trade Deadline Day

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm happy with what we accomplished at the deadline. Now I look forward to the draft.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Holland did very well. Got more than I expected on smith and jurco. Got something for ott. Asked for a second for vanek, no one wanted him so he did the right thing and still moved him which is very very unlike holland

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
In the end all he had to give up to dump Filppula's contract was a few spots in the 4th round and a conditional 7th in which the conditions might never be met.

filppula has one year left on his deal. huge difference from helm and gator when they have 4 and 6 years left respectively

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
filppula has one year left on his deal. huge difference from helm and gator when they have 4 and 6 years left respectively

Wasn't comparing Filppula to them at all or Yzerman to Holland. Just saying that Stevie pulled off a coupe to get out from under that deal.

It's like when he was able to flip Steve Downie for a 1st and all he had to do was re-route Quincey here.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Awesome! Jurco, Ott, and Vanek all gone! Now we can start the true rebuild. Hoping there is still a chance all of Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Mrazek, Sheahan, Helm, and Nielsen all get traded. 2017, 2018, and 2019 draft picks are welcomed. Especially 18 and 19 first rounders. We could accelerate the rebuild so much faster if we accepted that we aren't a cup caliber team anymore, it's better to sell the house, and rebuild now. Get more value out of the house now compared to 2-3 years. Come on Holland. Sell, sell, sell!

Trading Larkin or Mrazek makes zero sense unless it's for significant upgrades, which would make zero sense from the other team's perspective.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
In continuing with HFBoards over-valuing tearing down teams and forgetting about building them up, perhaps the most praised move on the main boards is Yzerman trading away Filppula for nothing.

Forget the fact that he inherited superstars, has had high draft picks, and they are currently a fringe playoff team, he just acquired future Hall of Famer: CAP SPACE!!!!!!!!

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I am very happy with the haul for this trade deadline and the very unequivocal statement that this is a rebuilding team. I hope that spirit carries through the draft and offseason.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I am very happy with the haul for this trade deadline and the very unequivocal statement that this is a rebuilding team. I hope that spirit carries through the draft and offseason.

Where did you get that idea?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Wasn't comparing Filppula to them at all or Yzerman to Holland. Just saying that Stevie pulled off a coupe to get out from under that deal.

It's like when he was able to flip Steve Downie for a 1st and all he had to do was re-route Quincey here.

From my understanding, the Steve Downie deal only came about because the Avs wouldn't trade with the Wings so Holland got Yzerman to make the deal for him and paid a premium to get the defenceman he wanted. Yzerman deserves credit for getting great value for helping a friend, but it's not like he hatched some master plan to offload Downie.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
People are really big fans of going to great lengths to discredit Yzerman and love pointing out his mistakes, yet he makes shrewd trades every year.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Non-rebuilding teams don't typically load up on draft picks.

:laugh: Non-rebuilding teams also don't say that they can't miss the playoffs two seasons in a row, nor do they stick to only trading un-needed players, all of whom are impending free agents.

Great argument, though.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Did anyone catch the thread on the trade board about Filppula rejecting a trade to Toronto lol. My guess is he wanted nothing to do with Babcock.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
People are really big fans of going to great lengths to discredit Yzerman and love pointing out his mistakes, yet he makes shrewd trades every year.

I was told being a playoff bubble team was the worst place you could possibly be?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And why the hell can't the Wings move Helm or Gator!?
There's close to zero incentive for us to actually do that right now. Yzerman had a lot more incentive to work hard on moving Filppula. What, you think he just moved Flip because he hates the guy?

Helm and Abby are in year 1 of long-term contracts. They could be moved in a few years when we actually need the cap space they take up.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Was trading Filppula his attempt to be a bubble team?

They are a bubble team.

Cap space doesn't help them win games.

Losing Filppula isn't going to make them first overall.

So they already tanked and are currently a bubble team...and their GM is a genius?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
They are a bubble team.

So they already tanked and are currently a bubble team...and their GM is a genius?

He certainly has seen more success as GM than Holland has since he has been there.

Nobody is going to call their season a success by any stretch. But there was not much to indicate their season wasn't going to lead to a top-3 divisional spot. Are you going to tell me that you would have called them a bubble team going into the season?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He certainly has seen more success as GM than Holland has since he has been there.
Wings: 608 points
Bolts: 597 points

Sure they've gone on two deep runs, but no cups as of yet. He hasn't done anything too impressive considering the great situation he stepped into.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'd give Kenny a C+, maybe even a B. Got more than I expected for Smith and Jurco, less for Vanek. Ott was just a move that gives some young guys a chance so it's positive.

Can't blame him on Vanek, seems forwards weren't in demand this year. Helps Fla quite a bit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
They are a bubble team.

it helps them bring back their RFAs

Johnson,Palat,and Drouin all need new contracts this offseason and Hedman and Vasilevskiy's extensions will be kicking in as well

he got rid of a bad contract for only a 7th I don't see how that's anything but a positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad