GDT: Trade Deadline Day

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He didn't sell off a ton of pieces. He moved a few fringe ufas. And yea the gm of a terrible team saying we plan to turn it around in the off season is a problem because it signals more of the same and not accepting where this team is long term.

So after selling off Tatar, Nyquist, Green, Abdelkader, Helm, and Howard (for prices I'm sure everyone would complain as being way too low)....what is the plan to start winning NHL hockey games again?

People always seem to have great plans for tearing the team down. I never seem to figure out what it is to build it back up.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
So after selling off Tatar, Nyquist, Green, Abdelkader, Helm, and Howard (for prices I'm sure everyone would complain as being way too low)....what is the plan to start winning NHL hockey games again?

People always seem to have great plans for tearing the team down. I never seem to figure out what it is to build it back up.

Get 30 teams' 1st round picks and draft all super stars and win cups.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Gee I don't know,draft and develop good NHL players? What's your plan for making this team good without rebuilding? Tell me Holland fixes the defense and adds elite talent to this team going another direction. Do you feel like this team has a good core of players? Do you think we have a good prospect pool? I see you complaining a lot about what others are saying but not seeing you say much of anything about the actual team or what you'd like to see happen. So let's talk hockey without complaining. How do you fix a bottom five team?

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Holland is too loyal.

while the helm and gator contracts are horrendous and should never have been signed, I am equally certain most people around here would be even more upset with what holland would have to give up for a team to take on these contracts

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

It starts with trading Tatar/Nyquist and XO for a major defensive upgrade.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Get 30 teams' 1st round picks and draft all super stars and win cups.

I am told, even though TMLs haven't done a damn thing, is to follow exactly what they've done since the Shanahplan.

Apparently being the lucky franchise that wins the lottery when generational talent is available is what makes a GM a good GM.

For me though, I am not buying it. I fully expect TML to melt down after their honeymoon stage is over.

Plan B around here is I guess do what Oilers have done the last 10-12 years and tank every single year until you draft a McDavid. Again, I'm not convinced that'll work out until they learn how to draft defensemen.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Bruce Garrioch‏Verified account @SunGarrioch 46s46 seconds ago

The #Sens got a second and Jyrki Jokipakka for Curtis Lazar and Mike Kostka

Lazar to Calgary

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Iginla goes for a conditional 4th
Vanek goes for an AHL player and a 3rd
Parenteau goes for a 6th

I guess the values were low on RW.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Gee I don't know,draft and develop good NHL players? What's your plan for making this team good without rebuilding? Tell me Holland fixes the defense and adds elite talent to this team going another direction. Do you feel like this team has a good core of players? Do you think we have a good prospect pool? I see you complaining a lot about what others are saying but not seeing you say much of anything about the actual team or what you'd like to see happen. So let's talk hockey without complaining. How do you fix a bottom five team?

I start by trying to make them better, not getting rid of every decent player we have.

There are plenty of teams that are good without tanking for top picks. There are plenty of teams that have (good) high picks that still suck.

All of those guys are still good pieces and help you win games. I'd focus on finding ways to make your team better and better by buying pieces and finding good things in the draft, not by getting rid of every thing you have and hope the next 7 first overall picks you get eventually work out

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Those players get us picks. We lose for a while, (how long is dependent on a how well our drafting and developing does), and get lots of top prospects. We develop those players. They come into the NHL and are very good because they were top picks (or aren't very good in which case you move them ala Colorado trading Duchene right now and we keep rebuilding), and we hopefully developed them well. We then have built our core and use our other picks from trading guys like Tatar Nyquist, Green etc. to surround them with good depth/trade for depth. Then we're good again. Getting a new core is tough. It takes top picks. Getting depth is easier. We only have one of the two. We need to get the other ASAP and until we have a core, depth is meaningless.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Awesome! Jurco, Ott, and Vanek all gone! Now we can start the true rebuild. Hoping there is still a chance all of Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Mrazek, Sheahan, Helm, and Nielsen all get traded. 2017, 2018, and 2019 draft picks are welcomed. Especially 18 and 19 first rounders. We could accelerate the rebuild so much faster if we accepted that we aren't a cup caliber team anymore, it's better to sell the house, and rebuild now. Get more value out of the house now compared to 2-3 years. Come on Holland. Sell, sell, sell!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

By scouting better. By not using a first on a Thomas McCollum or Riley Sheahan or a second on Landon Ferraro instead of Ryan O'Reilly.

You fix a bottom five team by having a consistent plan for your draft picks... and that plan is something beyond "suck until you have a top one".

San Jose found Pavelski, Braun, Vlasic, etc. outside of the first round. Chicago got Keith, Hjalmarsson, Saad, etc. Nashville with Arvidsson, and so on.

It's a super weak take to say "we need to suck to get elite players". That's where the best possibility lies... but the difference between best probability and the probability where Detroit has been is nowhere near what you want to make it.

Hell, look at New England in football.. They've been the pinnacle of excellence and they haven't tanked.

The way you fix the Red Wings is by choosing what you want to be and sign/draft guys to fit that. You want to be a small euro team, be a small euro team and sign the guys like Grabovski, Semin, etc when they are out there. You wanna have a bunch of Canadian boys? Do that.

Take a risk and move things for a D-man. Very little of it all should hinge on being bad enough to pick #1OA.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I am told, even though TMLs haven't done a damn thing, is to follow exactly what they've done since the Shanahplan.

Apparently being the lucky franchise that wins the lottery when generational talent is available is what makes a GM a good GM.

For me though, I am not buying it. I fully expect TML to melt down after their honeymoon stage is over.

Plan B around here is I guess do what Oilers have done the last 10-12 years and tank every single year until you draft a McDavid. Again, I'm not convinced that'll work out until they learn how to draft defensemen.

It certainly takes some balls. A little less loyalty would probably help speed up the process and also having that plan set. It still seems like KH might be stuck into the "we don't need a rebuild" phase.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If I had to grade the Wings TDL, I would give them a solid C.

They did the bare minimum.

They moved every expiring contract that had any value.

Holland didn't make any risky moves. He made the moves that had to be made. I'm not too thrilled with the return they got for Vanek, but the alternative was getting nothing, where they potentially bring him back on a multi year deal during the offseason.

Holland looked competent, so that made me feel a little bit better.

However if this TDL wasn't the beginning of the Wings multi year rebuild, and Holland doesn't move more contracts during the offseason, and instead tries to bring in more bandaid signings, I will be extremely disappointed.

Kenny proved me wrong this TDL, so hopefully he keeps it going.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I start by trying to make them better, not getting rid of every decent player we have.

There are plenty of teams that are good without tanking for top picks. There are plenty of teams that have (good) high picks that still suck.

All of those guys are still good pieces and help you win games. I'd focus on finding ways to make your team better and better by buying pieces and finding good things in the draft, not by getting rid of every thing you have and hope the next 7 first overall picks you get eventually work out

If they're all good players and help you win games why are we bottom 5 in the league? What are you using as currency to buy pieces when you have a weak prospect pool and no cap space? Where are you getting your top defense pair you need and your number one center that you're going to need because your last eliteish level player is entering his late 30s?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It certainly takes some balls. A little less loyalty would probably help speed up the process and also having that plan set. It still seems like KH might be stuck into the "we don't need a rebuild" phase.

More likely Ilitch's don't want to begin full tank mode while opening a brand new state of the art billion dollar arena.

This TDL proves they are doing a rebuild.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Overall I'd say we had a decent deadline, I was surprised to see what we were able to get for Smith and Jurco, don't like the return for Vanek but I'll get over it.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
More likely Ilitch's don't want to begin full tank mode while opening a brand new state of the art billion dollar arena.

Holland said as much. I'm guessing some bigger moves will occur near the Draft.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
We need Vegas to take someone like Helm, Abdelkader, Howard or Ericsson. But we won't be that lucky and they'll take like Sheahan or Ouellet or Coreau.

Or Holland will give them some of the picks we just got to make sure they don't take Abby, Helm or Sheahan.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

They are at least kinda trying to do a rebuild. Not really making a full commitment, though.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
They are at least kinda trying to do a rebuild. Not really making a full commitment, though.

They probably want to keep attracting UFA. If they are going full tank, nobody will wan to sign here. That gives Ken Holland less free 3rd and 6th round draft picks to play with (Vanek and Ott)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I still don't get how Jannick Hansen got so much

i'd take Vanek or Vrbata over him in a heartbeat,like....by a huge margin

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Yzerman flipped Filppula, a 4th and conditional 7th for Streit, then flipped Streit to Pittsburgh for a 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad