Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day/Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
dumb?

k wait, so are you complaining we traded our 1st and 3rd for JT miller ? dude is almost PPG while being young and on a ridiculous cost controlled contract.

If we flipped him right now i guarantee we get a 1st, 2nd and top prospect. Just look what Zucker got, JT would get more.

Tofolli trade, sure thats up for debate...

The whole package to move from outside the playoffs to fringe playoffs is dumb and I stand by that.

miller is a great player (who could have been had at a lower cost of benning knew about negotiating) but for the overall benefit of winning a Stanley cup idk still if what we have given up is worth it.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
What would a cap relief trade for Simmonds look like? I think we could probably shop out Leivo now, so he could be a sweetener. Who would be the most likely cap dump? Eriksson? Baertschi? Sutter?

Isnt Leivo an unrestriced free agent

He isnt counting as he is on LTIR and his contract is done. We dont need to add him to any trades unless a team wants him.

for Simmonds Trade a cap dump probably looks something like:

Woo and Beartschi

for

Simmonds

Gaudette and Eriksson

for

Simmonds and 5th

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I see several writers, including Carol Schram at Hockey-Buzz, are all over the rumor that it's playoffs or bust for the current regime....and that even with the extension Benning signed, if the Canucks falter down the stretch and miss again, his head could be on the block as well.

Rumors at this time are a 'dime a dozen' but I really hope that Benning doesn't do something really dumb if he thinks his job is on the line.

I'm fine with Benning making moves.

But the moves he should make to prolong his employment involve dumping cap, not adding short term rentals.

It's really too bad that the man is most enamoured with roster players at the deadline (when everyone wants them), draft picks at the draft (when everyone wants them), and with cap space on July 1st (guess what the majority of teams care about then...)

Imagine if we tried dumping some players now, when GMs about to miss the playoffs and potentially on the hot seat don't give a shit about the cap two years from now, and really just need to build up their asset base. It's going to be a hell of a lot harder to do so on June 30th.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
The whole package to move from outside the playoffs to fringe playoffs is dumb and I stand by that.

miller is a great player (who could have been had at a lower cost of benning knew about negotiating) but for the overall benefit of winning a Stanley cup idk still if what we have given up is worth it.

hearsay with no evidence.

Reactions: Teflon Jim

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup too many teams were stubborn and short sighted. A lot of those players could’ve been traded between the other 30 teams and put themselves in a situation where they aren’t getting boned by Vegas. Teams like the Canucks should’ve been more aggressive On defenseman while teams teams like the wild or isles should’ve been more aggressive at moving defenseman. It was just bazaar watching all the teams lining up to be boned by Vegas when they could’ve found mutual arrangements with other clubs.

Yup.

Let it never be forgotten that we protected Markus Granlund and Erik Gudbranson in that expansion draft.

We could have picked up players like Marchessault and Nate Schmidt for basically nothing but held pat because we thought Markus Granlund was a terrific player.

Vegas didn't succeed because the rules favoured them, they succeeded because NHL GMs are so incompetent at their jobs and terrible at evaluating talent.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Is there a way to keep track of these so called "insiders" and their hocus pocus sources and clickbait claims?

I feel like they are just name dropping on deadline week trying to create revenue.

Did Mckenzie or Friendman or Dreger report Tofolli to Canucks before it actually happened or gone through NHL offices for paperwork?

What about zucker to pitt?

Hall to Arizona?

Martinez to VGK?

Coleman to Lightning?

We rag on Eklund alot but i dont feel like he is much worse than some of these analysts throwing darts on the board.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yup.

Let it never be forgotten that we protected Markus Granlund and Erik Gudbranson in that expansion draft.

We could have picked up players like Marchessault and Nate Schmidt for basically nothing but held pat because we thought Markus Granlund was a terrific player.

Vegas didn't succeed because the rules favoured them, they succeeded because NHL GMs are so incompetent at their jobs and terrible at evaluating talent.

The NHL is so far from being an efficient market that it is barely a market.

This post is a great reminder of that.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
The fact that a reporter who is basically an organizational shill reported that Benning agreed to TB's first proposal on a Miller deal is, uh, pretty strong evidence.

Sorry thats not how it works or can be considered evidence.

if somone is going to make a claim then they have to provide evidence that Tbay indeed would have accepted a lower offer.

youre just stating that benning agreed to tbays proposal.

Either way, no need to get side -tracked.

its exciting times to be a Canuck fan again!

Were making a run!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Simmonds for Woo

Gaudette and Stecher for Koeekkekk

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn’t even want to trade Schaller for Simmonds. Schaller is crap as well but at least cheaper crap.
And now hearing Gaudette is rumoured in trade talks too. Aquilini has to step in at some point and protect his team, doesn’t he?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Juolevi for Simmonds straight up would actually depress me a little

If you read the Utica board, the value of a Juolevi for Simmonds pick is probably about par. Maybe with a slight higher value for Juolevi.

It was a horrible pick and Juolevi is what he is now.

He is probably a prime candidate to bait for a rental, but perhaps someone better than Simmonds, though i dont see Juolevi fetching somone that much better than Simmonds.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Juolevi for Simmonds straight up would actually depress me a little
Yup. I’m pretty sure ?Matt Tkatchuk could return more than ?Simmonds. Nice drafting JB.
I’m not feeling so lucky about what JB is going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad