Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day/Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
How big of a raise do you think Stecher is going to get?
Realistically?
Somewhere around 2.8~3.5 because they deployed him with Edler on the second pair.

Which let's be honest, he is not worth it. Would rather use those money to resign Tanev and Fantenberg, deploy some new guy like Rafferty

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Somewhere around 2.8~3.5 because they deployed him with Edler on the second pair.

Which let's be honest, he is not worth it. Would rather use those money to resign Tanev and Fantenberg, deploy some new guy like Rafferty
This is what I don't get.

The org splashed out 2 million for Jordie Benn, a guy who is a 6-7. But somehow can't splash out ~3 for a guy who can play up and down the lineup.
Why, instead of shipping out Stecher, don't you ship out Benn?

Stecher is only making .325 mil more than Benn ffs.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

The org splashed out 2 million for Jamie Benn, a guy who is a 6-7. But somehow can't splash out ~3 for a guy who can play up and down the lineup.

Jamie Benn is worth way more than 2M.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Tyson Barrie has 28 points in 39 games since the firing of Mike Babcock. That's a 58 point pace, would put him top 20 in scoring for dmen.

He was also very good for Colorado in the playoffs last season.

Could Babcock have destroyed this guys confidence? Could he regain it in time for a playoff run?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
well yeah, that's the whole point. He is cheap this season and doesnt count against cap afterward.
If the team wants to avoid negotiation and arbitration with Stecher, makes sense to trade him away now for an UFA
Thats what Friedman said last night..The Canucks cannot afford to have Stecher (a 3rd pairing D-man) go to arbitration..So he either walks for nothing, or they get an asset for him at the deadline.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Tyson Barrie has 28 points in 39 games since the firing of Mike Babcock. That's a 58 point pace, would put him top 20 in scoring for dmen.

He was also very good for Colorado in the playoffs last season.

Could Babcock have destroyed this guys confidence? Could he regain it in time for a playoff run?

Toronto is in shambles on the ice this season. This is as buy low as a very good top 4 dman will ever be.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don’t mind Stetcher as bottom pairing dman but just like Biega, I don’t value him as highly as some other posters here do. He’s a tweener type, I don’t want him out there against the other team’s top players and he doesn’t produce much offense either. He’s a solid depth dman. I’ve liked Fatenberg’s play just as much if not more.

Even Gillis said that you need size and speed to win in the NHL today. I remember reading that Yzerman preferred to target taller dmen in Tampa since their analytical data showed that taller dmen were more effective(I assume it was more in depth than corsi). I just don’t love the idea of having an undersized dman who isn’t dynamic offensively or a shutdown type like Jared Spurgeon. That being said, this Barrie pursuit by the Canucks is pretty stupid lol, especially if the cost to acquire him is high.

Benning is in full blown panic mode, he needs the playoffs to save his job and Aquilini seems to have given him the green light to mortgage the future outside of Pod/Hoglander. Other GM’s likely sense this and are probably going to hold him hostage with high asking prices, they can then get him to overpay or use Benning as leverage to get another team to overpay.

TLDR:
- I like Stecher as a bottom pairing dman but I sense some Biega-like overrating
- Gillis and Yzerman have mentioned that size/speed wins and having a depth dman who’s undersized and isn’t a shutdown dman or point producer is probably not a key piece or a huge loss
- Barrie trade doesn’t make sense
- Benning will have to overpay if he wants to buy

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Stecher minutes per game on D are seventh among roster D-man. While I like Stecher, there is absolutely no way they can pay even $2.5 M for that. Inexpensive shutdown veterans or entry level contracts need to play in the 5 to 7 slots in the cap era. Time to move on. Hopefully they get more for him than they got for Hutton.

Caveate, unless the coach legitimately plays him more minutes than Myers and management trades Tanev, then I'm ok keeping him at <$3M

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

The org splashed out 2 million for Jordie Benn, a guy who is a 6-7. But somehow can't splash out ~3 for a guy who can play up and down the lineup.

How much money, and term would Stecher want..?..On another team, he could make more money and have an expanded role..

Benn only signed a 2 year deal...he's off the books next season...and will most likely be replaced by a player in the system.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
hahaha...I hadn't even thought of the possibility that Benning's comment re MacEwen (that "he's ready to be a regular NHL player") were about pumping his value up pre trade deadline. If so, JB=sly as a fox...;)

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Benning is in full blown panic mode, he needs the playoffs to save his job and Aquilini seems to have given him the green light to mortgage the future outside of Pod/Hoglander. Other GM’s likely sense this and are probably going to hold him hostage with high asking prices, they can then get him to overpay or use Benning as leverage to get another team to overpay.=

I don't get the sense Benning is remotely under the hot seat. In fact, I think Aquilini is mostly content with how he's handled the team despite many of us being far more critical. This feels more like wanting to push ahead because we've had a breakout year and management as a whole wants to get the younger core playoff experience. They're also taking advantage of how weak our division is. We could very easily make the WCF.

Benning strikes me as someone who knows what he wants and will gamble on it—sometimes to his own detriment. Miller is a prime example of that mentality. Despite many insisting Tampa would have to sell low on him given their cap situation, numerous teams were interested. Benning took the "buy now" option to guarantee we weren't outbid. We'll see how things work out with Toffoli, and possibly Barrie, if we do acquire him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Shot: Canuck's can't afford Stecher if he goes to arbitration.

Chaser: Canucks must trade him for a defender who costs double the cap.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
While the Canucks are at it cleaning up cap space.
Get rid of the f***ing shit UFA signings.
Let's add the point totals of Rousell, Beagle, and Sutter's point totals and add them all up.
GP - 131
Goals - 16
Assists - 18
Points - 34
PTS/GP - 0.26
Cap Hit - $10,365,000
$ per point - $305,000

34 points this season from 3 players

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
You'll all hate the deal no matter what - but Benning has been nothing BUT MONEY when it comes to trades. I'll stand behind him and let the player/players he gets in return do the talking via their play before I rip any deal up.

IMO:
Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Barrie

Is an absolutely nasty top 4.

Slowwwwww down Big Shooter........I like your enthusiasm and I agree with your idea to suspend judgement however there's plenty of past evidence to support the notion that there has to be at least moderate amount of concern with what Benning might do.

Reactions: dps

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Ok slow down on the Stecher love. No he's not as good as Myers - not even close. No he's not a #3.........He's a decent 5/6 guy but not someone you want playing big minutes. He's going to get 3.2 or so - but it's not going to be with our team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad