Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day 2017

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Can we protect both? It would be a shame to lose one in the ED.

Duchene
Landeskog
MacKinnon
Nieto
EJ
Barrie
Zadorov
Barbeiro

(Somehow get FB to waive?)

Buy out Beauchemin. That's what I do, but perhaps Kroenke wouldn't ok it, after buying out Stuart.

I don't think Barbeiro need to be protected. Better defenders available.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Sakic sounds completely clueless and confused. Just do yourself a favor a quit please. Picking up waiver players and saying he thinks they will help on the PP:laugh:

Good luck with this team, it's all i can say. They are headed for a very, very long drought with this management. I'm done caring for this organization. See you in 20 years, maybe

Goodbye. Don't forget to close the door behind you. Judging by this trade deadline it did not even seem that Sakic had any chance of trading off our dead beat players for picks.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Can we protect both? It would be a shame to lose one in the ED.

Duchene
Landeskog
MacKinnon
Nieto
EJ
Barrie
Zadorov
Barbeiro

(Somehow get FB to waive?)

Technically, assuming Barbeiro plays one more game, they have to expose him, or give an extension to Wiercioch or Goloubef. I'm pretty sure Barb was brought in just to be exposed.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Buy out Beauchemin. That's what I do, but perhaps Kroenke wouldn't ok it, after buying out Stuart.

This needs to happen in the worst way for the good of this team moving forward.

I am quite sad that we weren't able to move him out today but after all, he is currently our hottest goal-scorer. :sarcasm: (I hate him so much)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I feel like if they realistically go into this draft and 2018's draft with the intention of it being a true 'development year' (unlike this year) and tank next year as well then we might fix a lot of issues that way. Get time to the kids and see what we have in some of them, get a top-six centre to go alongside hopefully Jost in this draft, and tank for a potential top-pairing dman in the 2018 draft.

Landeskog/Barrie/Duchene have to go imo, the three of them should bring back enough quantity/quality to shore up the prospect pool and hopefully Duchene brings in another potential top pairing dman to go alongside one that can be drafted in 2018.

Of course, I don't expect Sakic to have the foresight to do this as he doesn't seem to operate on much of a plan. Either way regardless of how you do it, we're gonna suck next year as well and need to look to both the 2017 & 2018 drafts and make the rest of the moves accordingly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We won't do well enough at sucking. More of that 8-10th pick kind of sucking. Just hopefully they don't take it as an accomplishment.

It's a nice idea to think they'll go full pull the plug and youth movement but what gives any confidence or hint that it's going to happen? It takes a plan to do that. Who is going to replace all the guys who will go after this year? I know, Greer, Compher, Jost and top 4 pick but even they might not all show up and at best that's 4 guys. They aren't going to bring in any bandaid vets I find it hard to believe. Sakic says he wants to get younger and faster, what does that even mean? What about the slugs who will still be here?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's the question. How do you just remove Beauchemin, Soderberg, and Colborne from the team? Bednar wants absolutely nothing to do with the latter two and if he's back as HC, what do you do?

Maybe you can buy out Beauchemin and someone could take Colborne with just a year left but Soderberg is going nowhere.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We won't do well enough at sucking. More of that 8-10th pick kind of sucking. Just hopefully they don't take it as an accomplishment.

It's a nice idea to think they'll go full pull the plug and youth movement but what gives any confidence or hint that it's going to happen? It takes a plan to do that. Who is going to replace all the guys who will go after this year? I know, Greer, Compher, Jost and top 4 pick but even they might not all show up and at best that's 4 guys. They aren't going to bring in any bandaid vets I find it hard to believe. Sakic says he wants to get younger and faster, what does that even mean? What about the slugs who will still be here?

I've said this before but if they intend on cashing in on Duchene and Landy a top 5 pick will be in the cards for them. Whether it is by design or not... it most likely will happen. Of course depending on the return of the 2 stars but judging based off the rumours that looks to be the case.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yes.

And it's sad. Far worse than a formerly great player who no longer has it (we've had our share of this as well). He's simply no match for the requirements of the job. Overmatched, and that's being kind. It's just pathetic.

And it needs to end. I'm not going to be around to see it, but someone has to call mercy at some point.

#NotMyGM

He knows he failed.

He knows. We know. Everybody knows. And he knows everybody knows.

There's nowhere to hide. And he knows that as well.

I get that people might be pissed but I absolutely disagree with this line of thinking. What kind of 'overmatching' is actually going on? What about Vrbata that had a ton of suitors and Chayka didn't pull the trigger...was he overmatched??? Isn't he regularly getting praise left and right by just about everyone? What the hell was the point of keeping Vrbata, with the kind of season he's having right now, as compared to getting at minimum a 2nd round pick in 2018??? (I can't imagine there wasn't a team willing to offer that?)

What about Tim Murray? What's his excuse for not moving soon-to-be UFA Dmitry Kulikov?? He got NOTHING for him.

Kind of easy to see why the Avs couldn't get anything for their under-performing depth/trash players.

We saw how frikkin' bad Iginla was this year with our own eyes, why did we somehow allow ourselves to believe that he actually had any value whatsoever??? Because his name is Jarome Iginla??

But the real reason why Joe Sakic isn't in 'over his head' or 'completely overmatched' is because he didn't end up making a bad panic move that everyone here in Canada thought he would do by making a poor deal for Duchene or Landeskog.

James Duh-thie kept saying he didn't get why the asking price was so high. (I like him but I guess he's a moron then) He stuck to his guns because he didn't get a good enough offer and THAT was the way a GOOD GM handles business. If he had said to himself and the rest of management "well, it may not be what we wanted, but it's the best deal we're going to get"....THEN he would have been over-his-head and over-matched. The fact that he didn't get a 3rd or 4th round pick for schmucks like Tyutin, Mitchell & Weircioch shows their true value throughout the league. Enjoy the KHL boys...you're done!!!

The guys on the reporters even said, there is NO POINT to making a trade of that magnitude for the Avalanche right now, it's a losing season, the Avs are going to finish last no matter what. At the draft, the Avs will know what number they are picking AND there will be more teams in that just couldn't make any moves right now without affecting their Stanley Cup chances.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've said this before but if they intend on cashing in on Duchene and Landy a top 5 pick will be in the cards for them. Whether it is by design or not... it most likely will happen. Of course depending on the return of the 2 stars but judging based off the rumours that looks to be the case.

A certain smooth skating Swede could be in the cards for them......

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Im very ok with that. Thats where the D are. Your not picking em super high that people go postal if you select them and the team isnt total garbage so we can pick em, let them develop yadda yadda

only way ill accept another year like this is if we get some just absolute stud D. If we get another fwd im gonna riot.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
TV I think we're finishing in the bottom five regardless. Vancouver's the only team I can see as being clearly worse than us next season and even that's doubtful. With Sakic's inability to fill out the roster with depth players because he's got poor talent evaluation and Bednar and the inept coaching staff PLUS whatever disease plagues our dressing room, I expect the team to have another bottom 3 or at least bottom 5 finish. They aren't gonna go from the worse team in the league in over a decade to being able to finish 8th-10th last unless there's a miracle. So yes I do expect them to be in the running for the 2018 lottery and the rest of the moves should be based on that outcome.

Also I don't like trying to compare Sakic to Chayka or Tim Murray or whomever, those aren't successful teams and not who we should be comparing to. Plus Chayka got a bunch of draft picks/futures since the summer so he could afford to go into the next draft without trading Vrbata who apparently plan to re-sign or Doan who can't be moved because of his stubborn NTC.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Complain all you want.

At the end of the day I doubt any sane GM really wanted a piece of any of the Avs trash after a historically bad season.

Looking at capfriendly the biggest concern going into next season is Beauchemin.

If by some miracle the Avs can actually sign some decent depth (better than what we have now) - while letting the ufa's walk, win the draft lottery and not sell low on Landy or Duchene they should be improved (compared to the current roster).

A healthy EJ, Zads and Varly can push this team to within wild card position, imo.

Edit: assuming Bednar is canned after this season and some rookies play next year (Bigs/Jost/Compher/Greer/etc.).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
TV I think we're finishing in the bottom five regardless. Vancouver's the only team I can see as being clearly worse than us next season and even that's doubtful. With Sakic's inability to fill out the roster with depth players because he's got poor talent evaluation and Bednar and the inept coaching staff PLUS whatever disease plagues our dressing room, I expect the team to have another bottom 3 or at least bottom 5 finish. They aren't gonna go from the worse team in the league in over a decade to being able to finish 8th-10th last unless there's a miracle. So yes I do expect them to be in the running for the 2018 lottery and the rest of the moves should be based on that outcome.

Also I don't like trying to compare Sakic to Chayka or Tim Murray or whomever, those aren't successful teams and not who we should be comparing to. Plus Chayka got a bunch of draft picks/futures since the summer so he could afford to go into the next draft without trading Vrbata who apparently plan to re-sign or Doan who can't be moved because of his stubborn NTC.

We went from 10th to this disaster with the same roster and one could even say improved with Mikko and Z. No EJ injury next year and we could be right back on the hamster wheel. It's not so far fetched. Teams usually have to try and be bottom 5. We are a special kind of suck this year but it won't last forever.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017

I really cant see us finishing bottom five if we hang on to duchene and landy. We will have alot more talent and youth at forward next year. If we add patrick/nico, jost, compher and greer then that will be a very solid group. Disclaimer: if ej misses extended period of time tho were screwed

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Vegas isn't going to trade a top five pick for two years of Duchene. Almost all expansion teams suck the first years, before their own drafted players start entering the league.

Close to zero chance Vegas trade their pick.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Barberio fulfills the need to leave a d-man unprotected beautifully. If he goes, no big loss because it cost nothing to get him. If he stays, he's a decent depth option at a very nice price.

And yes, there can be no question--Beauchemin must be bought out this summer. They just need to admit they ****ed up (AGAIN) and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad