GDT: Trade Deadline Center Part Two (All Flyers and NHL Trade Talk) (Deadline Is 3/3 At 3PM)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
On the one hand, I like that someone is specifically saying the discussion around of the strength of a draft revolves around only the top of it.

On the other, the idea that you could know where your tiers end right now and more importantly where those tiers are likely to be selected means one of two things. Either you’re just saying shit to say it, which is whatever. Or you’re completely and utterly incompetent at preparing for a draft. I don’t know which it is, but those are the only two options.

You’re talking about a front office that openly says they evaluate future mid round classes as better than the present mid round class and makes moves based on that. It’s saying shit to say it and incompetence married together.

Hell, I still remember Fletcher calling the unique Covid 1st round a weak class, which just so happened to sway him trading the pick. Lucky for him, they still got someone they labeled as 1st round talent in the 2nd.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
On the one hand, I like that someone is specifically saying the discussion around of the strength of a draft revolves around only the top of it.

On the other, the idea that you could know where your tiers end right now and more importantly where those tiers are likely to be selected means one of two things. Either you’re just saying shit to say it, which is whatever. Or you’re completely and utterly incompetent at preparing for a draft. I don’t know which it is, but those are the only two options.
We'rent they hyping up this draft last year as being incredibly deep?! I feel like I'm being gaslit here.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You’re talking about a front office that openly says they evaluate future mid round classes are better than the present mid round class and makes trades based on that.

Every time they talk about the draft, I could C+P my take -- Hopefully that's just PR and they don't actually believe it.

Unfortunately, at some point we have to admit they probably do.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think in general, a good draft is one that shifts the break points out, #5, #15, #25, #50 or so.
So it becomes 7 top players, then 13, then 10 more, but this tends to fade out in the 2nd rd.
Even in good drafts, I don't think the odds change much later in the draft.

Which is why when looking at trades, don't worry about the draft when garnering 3rd and later round picks, for one thing, no one really can know how many "surprises" there are going to be in future drafts - or they'd be picked earlier!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jeff Marek convinced the Flyers big moves coming at the draft and linking Kevin Hayes to Columbus.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Never been sure of anything than the Flyers trading Hayes for Gudbranson. Knowing what a milquetoast Fletcher is, probably no picks coming in. And the Flyers view that as a positive addition + hard to play against RHD fit + cap space. They’d rather have that than maybe a pick plus dead cap.

Columbus has a ton of cap from Voracek’s contract going out. They dump Gudbranson to promote Jiricek and keep Peeke/Blankenburg. They add a lottery pick. They get healthier. Perfect.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Re Chicago: “In a four-year span starting in 2022, they will have had nine first-round selections and 10 second-rounders.”

What’s up with that? What a terrible way to rebuild. You should be looking for diamonds in the rough. Period.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Never been sure of anything than the Flyers trading Hayes for Gudbranson. Knowing what a milquetoast Fletcher is, probably no picks coming in. And the Flyers view that as a positive addition + hard to play against RHD fit + cap space. They’d rather have that than maybe a pick plus dead cap.

Columbus has a ton of cap from Voracek’s contract going out. They dump Gudbranson to promote Jiricek and keep Peeke/Blankenburg. They add a lottery pick. They get healthier. Perfect.
Fletcher isn't going to be around at that point. That's pretty obvious. Got to throw someone to the wolves.

Hayes to CBJ speculation is probably due to JG, they were an awesome college line.
Flyers would want picks/prospects back, TDA and Risto ain't going nowhere and Attard will be up next year.

Only reason Flyers would take Gudbranson is as a bad contract to sweeten the deal, but a new GM would probably prefer just to eat cap. Even if they trade Provorov and move York to LHD, they'll want to open up the space for Attard.

CBJ does have 4 RHDs so they'd like to do that, but why would the Flyers unless they can flip him, maybe with a million retained. At 3x3, Gudbranson might interest a team as a 3RHD - he did play decently in Calgary two years ago.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Fletcher isn't going to be around at that point. That's pretty obvious.

So you say. After the last week, I think it’s fair to be less sure than ever Fletcher is out. We’re so far past grounds for firing, this organization is leakier than a Swiss cheese boat; yet, he speaks quite contentedly, and the murmurings are about what a tough hand Chuck has been dealt. It might happen, but that requires actual oversight and/or the crony brigade to do the firing.

Besides, we’re talking about a framework for a Hayes trade already discussed with Columbus. He did the discussing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
CBJ having Kent Johnson and Sillinger, then possibly Bedard, they’re all or possibly will be all centers, plus Hayes himself is a center. to make the roster work they probably one of Jenner or Roslovic coming back. And also maybe Liam Foudy if there’s other considerations happening.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
CBJ having Kent Johnson and Sillinger, then possibly Bedard, they’re all or possibly will be all centers, plus Hayes himself is a center. to make the roster work they probably one of Jenner or Roslovic coming back. And also maybe Liam Foudy if there’s other considerations happening.

Johnson has been on wing, and he might be a wing long term. Sillinger — who I’ve never liked — shouldn’t affect anything. He might be in the AHL next year after this horrid season. He’s still on his ELC. Also, not sold on him as a center.

Jenner is their captain. He’s also a useful C/W; he’s not being traded for Hayes. I don’t think they’d cry over moving Roslovic, given he’s a UFA after next season. But even if they won a lottery pick, all 3 of those guys can play wing, and I don’t think their roster has their centers written in stone. Lotto pick, Jenner, Hayes. Any of the 3 can play wing with Roslovic. Their biggest logjam is actually at RD.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hayes for their 2nd and Gudbranson.
Then we retain on Gubranson and flip him for a 3rd.
Even if we retain $2M on Gubranson, we free up $5M in cap room the next three years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Re Chicago: “In a four-year span starting in 2022, they will have had nine first-round selections and 10 second-rounders.”

What’s up with that? What a terrible way to rebuild. You should be looking for diamonds in the rough. Period.
Hextall had 8 1st rd picks and 6th 2nd rd picks over 5 years - so where's our championship team?
And before you blame Chuckie, note that none of those picks who are gone have done anything for another team.

Carolina fired Peters, hired Brind'Amour and hasn't drafted in the top 20 since then.

Yes, a good GM could turn a number of Flyers into solid draft picks, but just amassing a bunch of picks won't turn you into a good team. You need a GM who knows how to build a team, not just collect draft picks.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i got lost somewhere catching up and now have a headache..off to get loaded lol

i am also stunned there is still defense of this FO being made and deflecting to past GM's

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hextall had 8 1st rd picks and 6th 2nd rd picks over 5 years - so where's our championship team?
And before you blame Chuckie, note that none of those picks who are gone have done anything for another team.

Carolina fired Peters, hired Brind'Amour and hasn't drafted in the top 20 since then.

Yes, a good GM could turn a number of Flyers into solid draft picks, but just amassing a bunch of picks won't turn you into a good team. You need a GM who knows how to build a team, not just collect draft picks.

The development program and priorities are so bad that they ruin players for good.

NAK won a cup. Ghost is quite good. Vorobyev took a long time but he seems to be remembering how to play.

The way you selectively omit players is very dishonest. You don't need to debase yourself for Fletcher.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK didn't win anything, he was just along for the ride, then let go, Toronto waived him.

Ghost isn't quite good, he got traded for a 2026 3rd, that's equivalent to what? A 2023 4th? 5th? Seeler value?

Vorobyev needed three years in the KHL to become a top six forward there, and he still isn't as good in the KHL as Lehtera after the Flyers released him.

Maybe you should learn how to do homework. Didn't they teach you that in school?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad