GDT: Trade Deadline Center Part Two (All Flyers and NHL Trade Talk) (Deadline Is 3/3 At 3PM)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One team has won five Stanley Cups in my lifetime while the other has won zero. Pittsburgh is no doubt in a rough spot of falling into mediocrity with a hopeless GM but that’s been common place for the Flyers for the last decade & counting. So it’s not really a fair comparison.

I’ve literally watched the Flyers waste the primes of guys like Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, etc. now I’m watching them do the same thing with the following generation of guys like Konecny, Hart, Sanheim, etc.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's like paying NFL QBs. At some point the cap causes you to weaken too many other spots.
$20M is a 1 line, 1st pair D-man you can't afford.
So McDavid and a minimum wage scrub v 2 1st line/1st pair players.

Yes! But you can do this by being more aggressive in trading off your 2nd star. It's riskier, especially due to injury. But it's manageable.

There are 35 players making 9+ AAV. Here's every name I would keep as a 2nd star over having McDavid as my top guy:

Matthews, Makar

Here are the arguables:

Panarin, Marner, Barkov, Point, McAvoy, Fox, Tkachuk, Kucherov, Vasielevskiy, Rantanen

Here are the ones you shouldn't even have to think about jettisoning:
Karlsson, Tavares, Doughty, Kane, Toews, Price, Eichel, Bobrovsky, Kopitar, Seguin, Gaudreau, Werenski, Ovechkin, Benn, Stone, Jones, Nurse, Backstrom, Josi, Skinner

Most of it is fat. And most of the arguables, I'm still picking McDavid.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think eventually you trade Provorov, Laughton and Sanheim (27, 29, and 27 next year).

Provorov and Sanheim are 2nd pair D-men, not core players you build around, and too old to be solid depth on a team 4-5 years from now. You're not extending Provorov, and Sanheim would have to make a big jump which he shows no signs of doing.

But you don't have to rush things, Sanheim might fetch a lot more in two years when he rebounds, and is a 6x6 player with a rising cap. Provorov could garner more this summer when teams can maneuver to fit his 2 years under their cap. Laughton at $3M will have value anytime you want to move him.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
@JojoTheWhale

fetchimage

Anthony Gargano, the midday host of 97.5 The Fanatic, advocated for Comcast to sell the team today. 97.5 is the flagship station of the Philadelphia Flyers. “The Best Show Ever?” on the afternoon slot shut down any conversation about Comcast the other day. “I have got to start with the Flyers. What we saw last night, with the Rangers Fans taking over the building is one of the low points. When we think of the low points of this franchise, this is a low point. SELL THE TEAM, SELL IT! SELL THIS TEAM. TAKE IT OUT OF JAIL. TAKE IT OUT OF COMCAST JAIL! SELL IT! SELL THE MOTHER FATHER! They have systematically destroyed this team. Destroyed it. Chuck Fletcher is Kevorkian. Put it to bed, and revive it. It is embarrassing. On a night where Ranger fans take over the build… And don’t let anyone blame the fans. I don’t want to hear that at all. This is disgraceful what has happened to the Flyers. I mourn the death of the Flyers. I miss the Flyers. Over the last couple of days, I have been thinking a lot about them, and I miss them. This is a disgrace what is happening. And the only reason why it hasn’t been a louder cry is because of the obvious. The Phillies, the Eagles, and all the drama with the Sixers. That is the only reason why the Flyers haven’t had a larger bullseye from anyone who actually still cares about them. Choonis and I actually care about them. But I don’t know if anybody cares… That is what I mourn. I wonder if we give a damn anymore. If that ownership group has completely destroyed hockey in Philadelphia. It’s ridiculously continued maleficence. The only thing they got right was the coach. Unfortunately, the coach who tells you the truth really isn’t the right guy for this job. They need to have a little bit of a pulse for him to shock them into contention…But they don’t have the talent to do that. They can’t even get a rebuild right… I don’t blame the fans. If you are a Flyer fan, why would you pay money to go see that team? They stink, There is no future, and they blow. And then you have to hear the GM say that they are the 5th most improved team. What a crock of nonense.”

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
What about stashing players to get around the cap floor? Is THAT going to be "closely scrutinized" by the league?

It's rhetorical.

no they dont care about that, lol chuckles has really made the flyers not only the worst organization, but the most depressing as well, since there is no light at the end of the tunnel

Atkinson should be 100% next year, if he scores like he did last year (with fresh legs from a year off) we have an actual asset with a rising cap.
we have an asset in jvr, look at how thats gone so far

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nah, I have no problem with Comcast and its oddles of money (and an owner who's a fan).
They just have to hold Scott to the same standard of a President of any division that failed to perform for 4-5 years - FIRE HIM!

Reactions: The Rage Kage

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What about stashing players to get around the cap floor? Is THAT going to be "closely scrutinized" by the league?

It's rhetorical.

You’re punishing guys like Nyquist who are actually trying to get back & play. Columbus even got f***ed over because they had to sell him at lower price because the acquiring team wasn’t sure how it would figure in with the league.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Nah, I have no problem with Comcast and its oddles of money (and an owner who's a fan).
They just have to hold Scott to the same standard of a President of any division that failed to perform for 4-5 years - FIRE HIM!
You also have no problem with Chuck Fletcher so...

If the owner was a fan he wouldn't be putting up with this crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad